I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

As I put it previously, to live a western style in Thailand like I live in Canada I would need minium of 200,000 baht a month.

Unfortunately, I do not make this amount of money..... yet.

So, 10k a month or 100k a month I am still slumming in a 3rd world country.

So., why not just live like a poor man anyway.... at least he is saving money.

nobody minds if you are slumming as long as you don't suggest that others should admire your lifestyle and/or follow it.

that your "previously mentioned' claim is as ridiculous as are the claims of "returnofthailand" goes without saying.

we are spending in Thailand ~THB 250k/month but for an equivalent lifestyle in Canada, the U.S. or Central Europe we'd have to shell out net nearly double and that means at least a gross triple (most probably more) income before taxes.

You spend 3 million baht a year in a village?

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I put it previously, to live a western style in Thailand like I live in Canada I would need minium of 200,000 baht a month.

nobody minds if you are slumming as long as you don't suggest that others should admire your lifestyle and/or follow it.

that your "previously mentioned' claim is as ridiculous as are the claims of "returnofthailand" goes without saying.

we are spending in Thailand ~THB 250k/month but for an equivalent lifestyle in Canada, the U.S. or Central Europe we'd have to shell out net nearly double and that means at least a gross triple (most probably more) income before taxes.

Pattaya is a big village.

Aren't you the guy that spends $200,000 in Canada per year and lives off of credit card points over here?

Aren't you the guy that spends $200,000 in Canada per year and lives off of credit card points over here?

I indeed spend 200k a year, but these are business expenses.

And?

It's always funny to read the bickering that having money creates. If Naam has 250K/mo. to spend well then good. Why do all the Skint buggers come out to discredit him?? And it's always the same suspects who are envious of those with money. The only skint poster who was funny was "Canary Sun"

It's always funny to read the bickering that having money creates. If Naam has 250K/mo. to spend well then good. Why do all the Skint buggers come out to discredit him?? And it's always the same suspects who are envious of those with money. The only skint poster who was funny was "Canary Sun"

I have a different take on it, reading the thread, it's those with big budgets like to say lower budgets aren't good enough.

I have a different take on it, reading the thread, it's those with big budgets like to say lower budgets aren't good enough.

when big budgets are called stupid because of what they achieved and what they can afford you have to expect a fitting rebuttal. read this thread again from the beginning and then come up with an honest comment.

when big budgets are called stupid because of what they achieved and what they can afford you have to expect a fitting rebuttal. read this thread again from the beginning and then come up with an honest comment.

Yeah right read 577 posts....these threads are always the same, those with larger budgets saying lower budgets are no good. Its a common theme, not every post but the bulk. I'd also like to generalise on the nationality but I'll hold back.

Yeah right read 577 posts....these threads are always the same, those with larger budgets saying lower budgets are no good. Its a common theme, not every post but the bulk. I'd also like to generalise on the nationality but I'll hold back.

I have a reasonable budget (200k per month) and don't care either way of those on a low or no budget as it is none of my business.. if they are happy with their lot good for them.

I do take offense to an obvious troll telling me iam stupid cause I waste money and I should live like he/she does in this fantasy thread when they have no idea about me, my money, or my lifestyle.

Edited by Don Mega

I have a big budget...

Lower budgets are indeed not good enough... for me.

If the guys on here can live, and be happy, on a tight budget, I have no problem with it. Good for them.

Having said that, I much preferred the humorous comments about saving money that we enjoyed earlier on this thread.

I am amazed by how much money some can save, while still being able to survive.

Life can indeed be cheap in Thailand, but, to be honest, I could not live like that.

But as long as everyone is happy, everything is perfect :)

If you haven't read the thread you aren't qualified to comment on who said what. It was basically the OP that started calling people stupid and saying what a winner he was. Had he just come out and said how he lives and wasn't utterly obnoxious about it this thread would be on the tenth page by now and nobody would have even made more than a passing comment.

There really isn't much to talk about in regards to his rather mundane lifestyle, so he had to bait people into confrontation to give him a platform to get some attention because his life seems to be empty otherwise. Most of us other people go into threads and share info about what we are doing, what are good places to go, nice things to buy and other such things that tend to make for better conversation or topics.

So you are just seeing what indeed are snarky remarks in reaction to a person who was doing nothing more than merely trolling. He also took it upon himself to go into the Thai Elite thread just to be disruptive. His ratio of worthwhile to utterly useless posts is overwhelmingly negative if you look at his post history.

Look at a person like Naam in comparison who although gets into some bickering now and again gives very reasonable, knowledgeable and valid responses to a wide array of topics.

You will find that when people are talking about buying something and looking for info it is usually the have not losers that have to pollute threads with their personal opinions on why somebody is stupid for one reason or another. They rarely add any value to any thread here.

If I asked Gerry where is a go to place to get rough diamonds, people like the OP would have to say how disgusting buying diamonds are rather than actually post anything about the topic. They pollute almost every thread that they touch.

The only time this thread had any merit was when it became a bit of humorous satire a few pages back. So you tell me who the light hearted people are or who is the bitter bunch?

Anotheruser, since you mentioned diamonds (rough or not), there was a few hundred millions' worth of them at the Beauty Gems jewelry show yesterday. Really glamorous evening, surrounded by marvelous (and seriously expensive) precious stones, in a cabaret atmosphere.

It was really great, and I saved a LOT of money !!!

Indeed, I only bought a little Judith Leiber pill box for a family member. That small box is probably 7 times the monthly budget of some who advise us on how to reach a cheap lifestyle in Thailand, but I succeeded in controlling myself. I could have spent millions on these beautiful stones :)

To bring this thread back to a pleasant level, I share a few pictures for all of you to enjoy ;)

Miss Thailand Universe 2016 was one of the models :)

Oh, I forgot... I also saved a lot on my food budget yesterday. I was invited :)

post-12654-14695952074461_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14695952173601_thumb.jpgpost-12654-1469595233294_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14695952447101_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14695952641715_thumb.jpgpost-12654-14695953034426_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011

I have many hobbies like Internet that I got for free, walk in the mountain, free too, swimming in lacs or sea that is free too.

I watch movies for free, music for free, games for free,...

last month I spent 300$ with visa included. 3k baht for rent, 4k for food and 1k or 2k for visa fee.

there are millions of guys who would like to have a life like me, but can not because they have been brainwashed by the "my country is the best, we are number 1,...."

Internet hobby?biggrin.png

ok then my hobby LIFEclap2.gif

walk in the mountain, free too, swimming in lacs or sea that is free too.

Ok then.

But hiking I can not say that it's free.

In Thailand is more expensive than in other countries outfit ..
or you are a Tarzan barefoot and in a loincloth? and the skin you have armor?biggrin.png
music
what instrument do you play?
games? what kind games?blink.png
PS
Do you like your life is wonderful !!
I assure you if you drop the Internet in the world are many places where everything is free of charge ..
But all people are different and different hobbies, needs
some cross stitching. but some conquest of the mountain peaks around the world ..
and have who like speed .. in the sky on the water or on road/offroad ..

Interesting how some people go to los and try to live a western life including only eating western food which is over priced BTW.

don't get to concerned about it, some of us have the western salary to pay for it all.

but price in Thai not western for western stylebiggrin.png ..

As I know many guys ask even doble sallary in coutry like Thailand - where western styule upper cost.

biggrin.png

So your employer got good deal if pay ONLY western salarybiggrin.png

Interesting how some people go to los and try to live a western life including only eating western food which is over priced BTW.

don't get to concerned about it, some of us have the western salary to pay for it all.

but price in Thai not western for western style:D ..

As I know many guys ask even doble sallary in coutry like Thailand - where western styule upper cost.

biggrin.png

So your employer got good deal if pay ONLY western salary:D

what are you dribbling on about now ?

I think that he tries to make himself look smart...

I'm v jealous of the OP who can live so cheaply!

We're all different, and my immediate surroundings are v important to me as that is where I spend most time. Which means shelling out a fair amount in rent to live somewhere (close to perfect) for myself and my dogs.

To make it worse, I've discovered I'm not keen on typical cheap Thai food biggrin.png . My first holiday here was in Cha Am (at least 20 years ago) and the (Westernised) Thai food in restaurants was great, as was the market 'cooked there and then' stir fries.

Unfortunately Thai food in Phuket restaurants (geared to foreigners) is far more expensive and I haven't found anything close to the stir fries 'cooked in front of you' that are anywhere near as delicious as those I experienced so long ago. Perhaps rose-tinted glasses whilst on holiday.

The Thai curry type food sold at markets etc., are all heat - drowning out any flavour - and pretty much inedible for my palate - and I have lived here long enough to realise its unlikely restaurants have washed the veg. properly, to get rid of pesticides.

In short, not liking most of the cheap Thai food (and certainly not trusting even the more expensive food to be free of pesticides etc.) - I cook at home. Its a shame as I hate cooking and I haven't found any free-range, non-halal meat - so I largely fall back on the typical Western meals - potatoes and veg. with NZ lamb or non-farmed salmon (VERY expensive) sad.png .

Plus, of course, I do my best to feed my dogs reasonable quality food too.

It all adds up to spending a fair amount of money!

at the people who said they can not live cheap. tell me how do you live? what the size of your stomach?

are you different of a human being? when I see guys in bar from 10am to 4am, drinking beers after beers, don't you think it s a waste of money.? in fact you are just poisoning your kidneys/liver with our taxed money. you are addicted by alcohol, smoke,... admit it.!

I see people in Thailand building big houses and/or still complaining about how much money they need to finish or to maintain their house. how big your house must be for you to have a good sleep? what makes you so different from a Thai person? . oh poor you, you need hot water. why you need hot water anyway.? it s already 33 degrees everyday. my water is not even cold enough.

OK, farangs are taller and need more protein , I agree, but do we need all these extra things just to be happy in life?. if you spend more than me, and you still complain here than you can not live cheap, you probably need to see a monk who will explain you a few Buddha's stories or maybe someone is stealing you... maybe your 5 ex wives. lol

this topic has been fun but I start really to be bored with all of you . farangs in Thailand are very boring. you came to Thailand still with the same farang life style and Western ideas then you complain you are not happy here. maybe it s time for you to embrace the land of smile and change your farang habits. the problem is not Thailand, the problem is YOU!

I bet you stand up in front of your atm for your money from the 2nd of the month and you turn upset when your money is not on your account the 4th of the month. I bet you go check your account 3x a day. what a life you have! I can not wait to be retired and live like you. lol[emoji13]

Edited by returnofthailand

at the people who said they can not live cheap. tell me how do you live? what the size of your stomach?

are you different of a human being? when I see guys in bar from 10am to 4am, drinking beers after beers, don't you think it s a waste of money.? in fact you are just poisoning your kidneys/liver with our taxed money. you are addicted by alcohol, smoke,... admit it.!

I see people in Thailand building big houses and/or still complaining about how much money they need to finish or to maintain their house. how big your house must be for you to have a good sleep? what makes you so different from a Thai person? . oh poor you, you need hot water. why you need hot water anyway.? it s already 33 degrees everyday. my water is not even cold enough.

OK, farangs are taller and need more protein , I agree, but do we need all these extra things just to be happy in life?. if you spend more than me, and you still complain here than you can not live cheap, you probably need to see a monk who will explain you a few Buddha's stories or maybe someone is stealing you... maybe your 5 ex wives. lol

this topic has been fun but I start really to be bored with all of you . farangs in Thailand are very boring. you came to Thailand still with the same farang life style and Western ideas then you complain you are not happy here. maybe it s time for you to embrace the land of smile and change your farang habits. the problem is not Thailand, the problem is YOU!

I bet you stand up in front of your atm for your money from the 2nd of the month and you turn upset when your money is not on your account the 4th of the month. I bet you go check your account 3x a day. what a life you have! I can not wait to be retired and live like you. lol[emoji13]

A bit harsh don't you think?

I've explained why I spend a fair amount of money living in Thailand - albeit far less than I'd spend back in the UK to live in such a (close to perfect) location.

As I said before, it comes down to personal preferences. Some are happy living in a small space, with no garden in a built-up area, as they prefer to spend their time outside the home.

Others (including myself) prefer a larger living space, a garden (particularly important in my case) and paying to live in a relatively expensive area - made more expensive to be next to the sea and with no/few neighbours - but with Western type luxuries available nearby.

There are no right or wrong answers as it always boils down to the individuals preferences.

Edited by dick dasterdly

On July 28, 2016 at 5:07 AM, Don Mega said:

what are you dribbling on about now ?

Dona I am not dribbling.. Just  in country as Thailand where western life expensive . 

Salary pay more than the western countries. a bonus for the inconvenience country of residence and for great prices. in China such as the 30-150% increase in Hong Kong to 20-50% + rent apartments/house.and another benefits..

look price in Thailand salary must be double. If you're employer pay to you only western salary not double western selary . It's good deal for employer.

6 hours ago, ardokano said:

Dona I am not dribbling.. Just  in country as Thailand where western life expensive . 

Salary pay more than the western countries. a bonus for the inconvenience country of residence and for great prices. in China such as the 30-150% increase in Hong Kong to 20-50% + rent apartments/house.and another benefits..

look price in Thailand salary must be double. If you're employer pay to you only western salary not double western selary . It's good deal for employer.

don't worry yourself about my salary mate, its none of your business.

what piss me off are the people who come here and still complain that Thailand is more expensive than the USA or Europe. you have to be kidding me!
I know imported items are taxed here, but if you tings are made in Thailand, it s much cheaper.
forget about these farang shops, there are just existing to rip you off.
If you go to little shops instead , prices are usually 2 to 3x less. and let your gf to deal. don't let make believe it's for you.

6 minutes ago, returnofthailand said:

what piss me off are the people who come here and still complain that Thailand is more expensive than the USA or Europe. you have to be kidding me!
I know imported items are taxed here, but if you tings are made in Thailand, it s much cheaper.
forget about these farang shops, there are just existing to rip you off.
If you go to little shops instead , prices are usually 2 to 3x less. and let your gf to deal. don't let make believe it's for you.

yeah cause local made is just as good as imported right.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Edited by Don Mega

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

yeah cause local made is just as good as imported right.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Dirt is dirt and it is ten times cheaper to rent dirt here in Thailand than in the West.  I can bring a Thai home or condo up to Western standards and rent it for 10% of what I'd pay in the West.  So if we are talking the majority of expenses - housing and living in said home/condo yes local can be just as good and considerably cheaper.  That is why so many old cheap guys retire here.  A living partner costs a lot of money in the West and is quite reasonable and replaceable in Thailand.  Add up housing, partnering and the cost of a chicken and you got a bargain right here in Thailand.   

2 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Dirt is dirt and it is ten times cheaper to rent dirt here in Thailand than in the West.  I can bring a Thai home or condo up to Western standards and rent it for 10% of what I'd pay in the West.  So if we are talking the majority of expenses - housing and living in said home/condo yes local can be just as good and considerably cheaper.  That is why so many old cheap guys retire here.  A living partner costs a lot of money in the West and is quite reasonable and replaceable in Thailand.  Add up housing, partnering and the cost of a chicken and you got a bargain right here in Thailand.   

I agree local dirt is just as good as imported dirt so one would be a fool to not choose local.

• 2 weeks later...

for the price of your cable TV in the West, I can live on that. accommodation, and water /electricity/ TV

and for the price of your car insurance & car maintenance I can get a scooter, visa, food, movies theater, restaurant, dentist, hair cut, soap, ... and even a phone with dtac.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk