Motor Cycle Auction Chiang Mai, any details?

bluweyze

I seem to remember there used to be a motorcycle auction in Chiang Mai. Does anyone know when it is held and where? Yes I know you don't recommend I buy any mode of transport second hand from a Thai etc but I would like to go and maybe bid on a not too old bike.

it is located on 108 on chiang ma/hang dong road south of Makro on the opposite side of the road next to the Mazda dealership.....

i do not know what day they have the auction but they usually have a large number of motorcycles there just before the auction....

there is a guard there who should be able to tell you when the auction is held......

a lot of cars are auctioned there too....

Don't forget you have to pay auction fees plus vat on the bid price so take that into account. Make sure the bike is locally registered as transfer from another area can be troublesome when you want to put your name in the green book. Worth a try good luck !

So what is the best way of purchasing a relatively new second hand scooter?

Have never bought a vehicle of any kind at auction. Somehow, doesn't sound that appealing to me.

I don't know if we're permitted to post links to other sites here, but I have bought and sold a few times via the internet. Some places to look (or not, if a moderator removes the urls):

ThaiVisa has a classifieds website, at classifieds.thaivisa.com. The site includes a motorcycle section.

Craigslist.co.th also has a good set of listings for bikes for sale.

Another site is BahtSold.com.

Note that the above websites are Thailand-wide. Many bikes will be outside the CM area, but quite a few will be local.

Several groups on facebook, including one called "www.bigikemarket.com" (that's the group name, not the name of a website), and another called "Chiang Mai Motorcycle Buy and Sell." Motorbikes, etc., sometimes appear in the many other second hand groups on fb. Names of such groups vary, but include "secondhand Chiang Mai" and "farang classified advertising chiang mai" and etc. Similar groups for many cities (Pattaya, Phuket, et al) around Thailand, if you want to broaden your search area.

Another possible source would be the various motorbike/motorcycle rental outfits around Chiang Mai. They usually have some stock they'd be happy to sell you. People have had good luck and bad with buying previous daily rentals. Green books should/will indicate whether a vehicle was a rental in a past life.

Good luck!

There is a big market for 2 nd hand motor bikes at the rear

of Ruamchok market,just past McDonalds on Mae Jo Road,

100's to choose from,it's open Sat and Sunday.

regards Worgeordie

There is a big market for 2 nd hand motor bikes at the rear of Ruamchok market,just past McDonalds on Mae Jo Road;100's to choose from, it's open Sat and Sunday.

I think what he means is that it is also open on the weekends -- it's open every day.

If you give me a call i will put you in touch with a very reliable person who sells a lot of all kinds of motorbikes in good condition and reasonable,he is as good as you will find in CM and area,sells a lot.And he will help you with the transfer papers,i know him fairly well about 5 years now.send message to me here.

We bought a Scoopy a couple of years ago from Union Auction in Bangkok, was absolutely easy, no additional tax, just the lump sum in cash. 28kTHB, that is half the new price for a 3 months old bike from failed financing. It came from Khon Kaen, transfer was also not a problem in Chatuchak. They sent the old number back and you get a new one. All papers were provided from the auction. I have no idea why it should be any different in CNX, that's an experienced international auction house that runs the place at Hang Dong Rd.

And keep in mind, you pay what you want to pay, it's an auction after all.

Bikes are so cheap for ones manufactured in Thailand like the Click. I made the mistake of buying used once, never again.

If you had a bike rental business, the auction would be a place to acquire stock, but for individual use, don't bother trying to save a few hundred baht on a used bike.

You can't go wrong buying a new Click. If you do buy a used bike, make it a Click. Change the oil, the spark plug and the air filter.

I recommend a Click because it holds its value and are bulletproof.

I love my PCX and I would purchase another one new if something should happen to it. They are $1000 cheaper here than they are anyplace else in the world. (80k baht).

Edited by Pinot

Yeah, partly true. There are tons of dealers at the auctions and they get crazy on the crashed or otherwise run down bikes. Monkey business, load 4 of them an the pickup, drive home, fit some new parts and sell them for 5x the price. It's the usual clientele there.

But, you can inspect the bikes before, look at the condition, the age, the kilometers. There are lots of failed financing returns waiting to find a new home and if you are not completely stupid you can find gold without digging. Just set your budget and the model you want. If not, there is always another auction the next week. Same goes for cars, even more, the lots are full after Yinglucks 100000B tax rebate and people who can not pay up any longer.

Bikes are so cheap for ones manufactured in Thailand like the Click. I made the mistake of buying used once, never again.

If you had a bike rental business, the auction would be a place to acquire stock, but for individual use, don't bother trying to save a few hundred baht on a used bike.

You can't go wrong buying a new Click. If you do buy a used bike, make it a Click. Change the oil, the spark plug and the air filter.

I recommend a Click because it holds its value and are bulletproof.

I love my PCX and I would purchase another one new if something should happen to it. They are $1000 cheaper here than they are anyplace else in the world. (80k baht).

Pretty good advice. I know nothing about Clicks, really, but did buy a new Yamaha GTX 125 for my kid several months back. Quite impressive motorbike, for sure, and a good value for 43,000. Pretty high quality and quite fast, for what it is.

But then, my other kid's still riding her old Yamaha Mio 110. It looks pretty tired, but the engine was rebuilt for next to nothing a year or so ago, and it goes like a bat out of hell (well, considering it's a 110 Mio).

My wife's 125cc Sym Fiddle II -- No... Probably wouldn't buy another. I mean, it's not really bad at all. Cost the same as the GTX 125: 43,000, new. It's just that the Sym can't compare to the GTX 125 at all.

There is a big market for 2 nd hand motor bikes at the rear of Ruamchok market,just past McDonalds on Mae Jo Road;100's to choose from, it's open Sat and Sunday.

I think what he means is that it is also open on the weekends -- it's open every day.

At one time it WAS only open on weekends. Now is open everyday along with many small shops also selling motorcycles nearby.

re

At one time it WAS only open on weekends. Now is open everyday along with many small shops also selling motorcycles nearby.

hes right :)

thats where i bought my bike and its not an auction

most of them have price tickets on now !

dave2

post-42592-0-83070100-1464153470_thumb.j

post-42592-0-95781900-1464153501_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

^ i got a used 2013 PCX 150 from there with 700km's on the clock for about 8k baht less than new.

Just looked at as someone else running it in and getting the first service done for me. It ran faultlessly for 14k kms until i sold it!

Edited by Coaster11