Regulations for transformers in big condominium project?

moonseeker

Dear experts

Can anybody explain the regulations regarding the following matter, please.

Large existing, old condo project in large city. The condo has a large transformer within it's property - I believe 2000 KW?-, that is paid for and maintained by the condo-owners? Is this correct?

Do all condos, hotels have to provide their own transformers and maintain them? Or replace if they blow up? Or is it the power-provider?

Thank you for some feedback. wai2.gif MS>

I can answer the first part of your question: You definitely have to purchase the transformer and associated connections when the property is first built.

I am not certain about ongoing maintenance. My belief is that everything after the electricity meter is yours while the meter and the distribution network belong to the electricity company.

So if it belongs to them you shouldn't be paying to repair it. However I stand to be corrected by those with more knowledge.

We certainly had to pay for the replacement when our condo transformer was totalled during the flooding (it was in the basement). The building insurance did cover a chunk of the cost but it was left to the owners to top up, IIRC it was about $1,000 a unit to cover the transformer, new genset, fire pumps etc etc :(

There is also a thread somewhere about a moo baan resident who was being asked to pay for a new underground cable TO their transformer after the old one went bad insulation.

So the "everything after the meter is your problem" adage doesn't necessarily apply to bigger installation.