Proper etiquette for when your long distance taxi driver is falling asleep ...

Jingthing

Went to Vientiane not long ago for visa matter. On the way from Nongkhai to Udonthani airport, I noticed the private car driver was almost going to fall asleep while driving along the highway. We were rushing to the airport to catch our flight, so had no time to stopover for a coffee break.

Tried striking a conversation with him, then asked him to turn on some music while constantly eyeing him via the front mirror.

What a relief when we finally arrived at the airport safe and sound!

Studies have proven that fatigued drivers respond as poorly as moderately intoxicated drivers, merely keeping the knucklehead awake is only marginally better than letting him sleep.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Vientiane not long ago for visa matter. On the way from Nongkhai to Udonthani airport, I noticed the private car driver was almost going to fall asleep while driving along the highway. We were rushing to the airport to catch our flight, so had no time to stopover for a coffee break.

Tried striking a conversation with him, then asked him to turn on some music while constantly eyeing him via the front mirror.

Studies have proven that fatigued drivers respond as poorly as moderately intoxicated drivers, merely keeping the knucklehead awake is only marginally better than letting him sleep.

Not really. Sleep is a guaranteed smash.

Nowadays people whip out their smartphones the moment they're in the vehicle. From my experiences, it's a no no. I've encountered at least thrice the drivers were dozing off while driving.

Not really. Sleep is a guaranteed smash.

I said marginally 55555

Just get in and drive ....how often do you get a chance to take selfies while driving a bangkok taxi

In this case it wasn't literally a marked taxi. Also I've never driven in Thailand and never will. I doubt many drivers would allow it anyway.

IMO the suggestion of telling the driver to move over, you'll drive is the worst suggestion of all. Why would any taxi driver trust his vehicle to some dumb foreigner (in his mind) who likely doesn't know the roads or have a clue where he's going, who claims he can drive. Ever tried to tell a drunk driver he's incapable of driving? It'll be harder than that. There's also and insurance issue for him to consider.

Start 'talking dirty' to the driver. Get him sexually aroused. That will keep him awake (for a while).

It worked for me years ago when I was falling asleep at the wheel. Just started thinking dirty thoughts and kept driving.

I'll bet he tried that. Hahaha.

Start 'talking dirty' to the driver. Get him sexually aroused. That will keep him awake (for a while).

It worked for me years ago when I was falling asleep at the wheel. Just started thinking dirty thoughts and kept driving.

If he's a shirt lifter

As I assume you are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same experience once before and had my wife and two kids in the taxi. After realising he was really tired I told my wife to get him to stop at a large petrol station and forced him to drink a couple of M50s. After another 20 minutes I could still see he wasn't in good shape so I got him to stop.

I then persuaded the wife to tell him that I was not happy and that I should drive and he can navigate. I gave him lots of smiles to save face and told him that he was working too hard. Deep down I was quite angry but I felt safer driving myself and the family then having Nigel Mansell on crack driving us.

Luckily I've only had this experience once in 18 years.

Edited by MahasarakhamMitch

I had the same experience once before and had my wife and two kids in the taxi. After realising he was really tired I told my wife to get him to stop at a large petrol station and forced him to drink a couple of M50s. After another 20 minutes I could still see he wasn't in good shape so I got him to stop.

I then persuaded the wife to tell him that I was not happy and that I should drive and he can navigate. I gave him lots of smiles to save face and told him that he was working too hard. Deep down I was quite angry but I felt safer driving myself and the family then having Nigel Mansell on crack driving us.

I don't believe you

No taxi driver will let you drive his cab

I reckon it wasn't him asleep but you & your story is a dream

I don't believe you

No taxi driver will let you drive his cab

I reckon it wasn't him asleep but you & your story is a dream

I couldn't give s <deleted> what you think to be honest