Japanese man dies after being hit by train while taking selfie on Death Railway

rooster59

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How ironic

Trivia Warning: sorry guys. Even more ironic that the Japanese Colonel who commanded the POW camp in the film The Bridge on the River Kwai, was also called Saito.

Reference please? couldn't find anything by this name in the cast.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085933/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Maybe if you looked up the right movie? Your link seems to be for "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence."

Oops. My bad. Somehow became focused on this one.

Digging my hole now...

Why would a Japanese person want a selfie of all things standing on the site of such a great national shame? 'Would be like a German wanting a picture of himself standing next to one of the ovens.

You would be surprised. In fact, there are a lot of Japanese apologists who think they acted swell during WWII. That said, I bet it was one hell of a photo.

Here's a photo of a Darwin Award candidate taking a train selfie, and being kicked by the train's conductor so he wouldn't fall into the train.

IN JAPENESEE its also a Tellfie = 自分撮り Jibun-dori = SELFIE

post-35294-0-58389600-1463936143_thumb.j

A family member, buried nearby, would probably call this poetic justice.

The victim was born 19 years after WW2 ended how on earth is this justice?

Perhaps the "Family Member" would have liked to have LIVED 19 years after the end of the WAR started by the JAPS!

Yes, POETIC JUSTICE and he wasn't a Victim, he was obviously a Genius who was sadly abused by a Big Bully Train.

Yes, this is undoubtedly ironic, but still a tragic accident and that man had about as much to do with the Japanese role in WW2 as I did.

Lol. Yeah, so now, having had "nothing to do with" the atrocity of the Death Railway in the first place (though we really have no knowledge of his thoughts about WWII, do we? 'As much as this would seem to be some indication...), he actually DIES identifying himself with it!

Yes, this is undoubtedly ironic, but still a tragic accident and that man had about as much to do with the Japanese role in WW2 as I did.

Lol. Yeah, so now, having had "nothing to do with" the atrocity of the Death Railway in the first place (though we really have no knowledge of his thoughts about WWII, do we? 'As much as this would seem to be some indication...), he actually DIES identifying himself with it!

Rubbish

Lots of Japanese bashing. The victim in this incident, had nothing to do with the building of the railway, and wasn't even born until decades after the end of the war. I'm sure the jokes about his death are not appreciated by his family.

Why would a Japanese person want a selfie of all things standing on the site of such a great national shame? 'Would be like a German wanting a picture of himself standing next to one of the ovens.

Or like Obama visiting Hiroshima? Happening right now.

If ever a topic and the resulting many pages of responses exist on this forum which have gone nowhere, it is this one.

After so many posts, if anyone can explain me how perhaps 99% of replies refer to the original post, please do so.

Day off for Thai bashing, looks like it's the Japanese's turn, albeit in tragic circumstances.

I totally understand the bashing here.

1- It's like a German person was doing a selfie in front of Auschwitz gaz chambers. A selfie involves nothing respectful, it's just pure narcism

2- Japanese are well-knows for their revisionist and negationist words regarding their war crimes during the Pacific wars and the WWII : the massacre of Nanjing, the 300,000 Korean comfort women etc.. etc..

3- The day before the commemorations of the 70th birthday of the discovery of Auchwitz, Shinzo Abe, the Japanese Prime Minister publicly declared :"The rest of the world must change the way it sees and considers Japanese history about the Pacific Wars and WWII accordingly to what the Japanese historian said"

4- Japan is a total fake democracy and its one of the most racists and misogynous society in the world. Many of the basic human rights and especially child rights are violated every single day.

Debito Arudou, a Japanese citizen and Human Right activist perfectly explains it in his book : Embedded Racism in the Japanese society.

http://www.debito.org/embeddedracism.html

I am very sorry for this man and his family but when you go to visit such a horrible place where tens of thousands of human being were reduced to slaves and died there, you don't take a selfie like if you were in Disneyland or the Eiffel Tower, especially when you are Japanese.

Day off for Thai bashing, looks like it's the Japanese's turn, albeit in tragic circumstances.

I totally understand the bashing here.

1- It's like a German person was doing a selfie in front of Auschwitz gaz chambers. A selfie involves nothing respectful, it's just pure narcism

2- Japanese are well-knows for their revisionist and negationist words regarding their war crimes during the Pacific wars and the WWII : the massacre of Nanjing, the 300,000 Korean comfort women etc.. etc..

3- The day before the commemorations of the 70th birthday of the discovery of Auchwitz, Shinzo Abe, the Japanese Prime Minister publicly declared :"The rest of the world must change the way it sees and considers Japanese history about the Pacific Wars and WWII accordingly to what the Japanese historian said"

4- Japan is a total fake democracy and its one of the most racists and misogynous society in the world. Many of the basic human rights and especially child rights are violated every single day.

Debito Arudou, a Japanese citizen and Human Right activist perfectly explains it in his book : Embedded Racism in the Japanese society.

http://www.debito.org/embeddedracism.html

I am very sorry for this man and his family but when you go to visit such a horrible place where tens of thousands of human being were reduced to slaves and died there, you don't take a selfie like if you were in Disneyland or the Eiffel Tower, especially when you are Japanese.

A very well articulated post with plenty of meat on the bones

Exactly, I'm not being anti-British with my comment. Quite the opposite. From the islands that gave us Monty Python, the Beatles, the Clash, fish and chips and the English language it's a pity that there is that dark side, and all nations and super powers have their dark sides, some more than most.

Oh to be a lilly white Australian, or in your case perhaps a little less than lilly white.

A few years back I visited a German POW camp in what was then Checkoslovakia, now Check Republic, this was in the middle of winter and the snow was deep on the ground, as I slowly arrived in my car about 40 or so Germans were getting into a coach to depart this camp, as I and my wife entered we were the only people in the camp, apart from all the graves and sleeping quarters dug into the side of a hill there was a gas chamber and two ovens for all the world to see. The ovens were replete with a steel table like apparatus on rails for wheeling the bodies in.

Do Germans visit Auschwitz...?.........Serious question....

Rubbish

Rubbish? Fair enough. None of us had absolutely anything to do with this guy getting himself killed on the train tracks, so why should we care?

Exactly, I'm not being anti-British with my comment. Quite the opposite. From the islands that gave us Monty Python, the Beatles, the Clash, fish and chips and the English language it's a pity that there is that dark side, and all nations and super powers have their dark sides, some more than most.

Oh to be a lilly white Australian, or in your case perhaps a little less than lilly white.
Hang on here old cock dont blame us we sent as many as we could get away with to Botany Bay

I can't seem to raise a lot of sympathy; classic irony; he couldn't move out of the way because he was busy getting the perfect shot - how Japanese!

Aug 11, 2014 - A couple 'taking a selfie' on the edge of a cliff died when they fell hundreds of feet while their young children watched.

The Polish couple died after falling from the rocky ...

Japanese guy; Polish couple; Mexican Teen; A woman; A man... On and on..

Died from taken selfies..

What goes around comes around.

Making ignorant comments about a person being killed works the same..

So, those that cracked on this man's death for being Japanese..

The same crap can happen to you or a loved one..

Of course it's nonsense, unless you believe in your idiotic remark(s).

If the train operator had time to sound the whistle, several times, why didn't he swerve around the guy taking photos of himself?

Afterall, as everyone should know, you are obligated to give way to those who are ignoring everything going on around themselves and playing with their telephones.

Pray tell, when was the last time you saw a train that was able to swerve. Now, if it is true, that the train only travels at 10 kph whilst crossing the bridge, then why did the driver continue. If he had time to blow the horn three times, then why diddn't he stop. If the circumstances are as given, then the driver may have some questions to answer.

No wonder there is so many problems in the world today, given the number of vitriolic replies. The mods are doing a good job letting some of this crap through, yet when it comes to Muslims, they threaten members with a holiday or to remove the offending posts if there is any bashing in that field, I'd like to see some fair moderation, as there is clearly no need for some of the posts on here.

If the train operator had time to sound the whistle, several times, why didn't he swerve around the guy taking photos of himself?

Afterall, as everyone should know, you are obligated to give way to those who are ignoring everything going on around themselves and playing with their telephones.

Pray tell, when was the last time you saw a train that was able to swerve. Now, if it is true, that the train only travels at 10 kph whilst crossing the bridge, then why did the driver continue. If he had time to blow the horn three times, then why diddn't he stop. If the circumstances are as given, then the driver may have some questions to answer.

Please read EVERY reply to this thread, again. In particular, reread those that I have written. Then, take your right hand and slap yourself on the forehead. Very, very hard!

I can't seem to raise a lot of sympathy; classic irony; he couldn't move out of the way because he was busy getting the perfect shot - how Japanese!

Aug 11, 2014 - A couple 'taking a selfie' on the edge of a cliff died when they fell hundreds of feet while their young children watched.

The Polish couple died after falling from the rocky ...

Japanese guy; Polish couple; Mexican Teen; A woman; A man... On and on..

Died from taken selfies..

As posted a few days ago ? A selfie is what teenagers did when no one was looking . Much better than the selfies of today , I mean really , taking a photo of yourself then imposing it on others . A hand held selfie ,yep , got me through my difficult years.

Please read EVERY reply to this thread, again. In particular, reread those that I have written. Then, take your right hand and slap yourself on the forehead. Very, very hard!

Hold on that would take time and a little bit of effort

If you have to delve in the world of sarcasm to get a point across, then maybe you should follow the many words of wisdom you have uttered, then, as to cannot see a little coming back at you, I would suggest you take you hand off it, as you are working overtime in your responses.

Archived