17 schoolgirls dead in fire at boarding school in Chiang Rai

webfact

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In God's care now. crying.gif

How horrible for god to let it happen in the first place. After all he is all powerful and omnipresent, right? So why didn't he stop it? Maybe because he doesn't exist. Perhaps they are in the care of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Back to reality - horrible event. RIP little ones.

"Officials and rescue workers who attended the scene first had managed to evacuate some of the girls but the ferocity of the flames meant that many of the girls were trapped inside the building."

Didn't the sprinkler system or smoke alarms work? Oh wait, "We don't need no stinking sprinklers or smoke alarms". Also, 'No need for fire drills since fires won't happen when our lucky amulet is hung above the doors and windows, which are locked and barred."

Once again, needless deaths of innocent people due to basic stupidity and ignorance. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a conscience existing among the people who are given the most important responsibility...The welfare and safety of the populace. Everyone will point their finger at someone else, and the final determination of what caused the deaths...Bad Luck.

Oh Well.,...Mai Pen Rai

Edited by jaltsc

The lessons from the Kader factory fire concerning very basic safety precautions against fires in dormitories still have not been learnt here. Kader was 23 years ago.

For those who are unfamiliar :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kader_Toy_Factory_fire

Note the only successful conviction following that tragedy was for a security guard. The managers, owners and responsible government departments got off scot free. Thus the events will repeat as we have seen today whilst in other countries, things improve and develop.

This is a concrete consequence of corruption at work.

Deserves a National mourning, on the other hand if those poor girls were from hill tribes families not sure it will have the same repercussion in the news and then in the country's mind?

This morning we have not seen TV breaking news till now, if that had happened in Bangkok every channel would have reported it already.

RIP innocent little victims .

This is very tragic for all of the families involved, and for those that were injured with major burns. I really hope some heads will roll over this incident. There appears to have been very little in the way of fire safety standards, and as usual, the government has dropped the ball on safety, and especially on consumer safety. This is perhaps one of the greatest areas a succession of Thai administrations has failed it's people. Consumer safety, general safety, and traffic safety standards have been lagging far behind the rest of the developing world for decades now. It is a perfect example of how little the top guys care for the common man, woman, and child. If they did care, they would act, rather than just engage in daily jawboning.

Fire escapes, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and multiple exits. Who wants to bet none of those were present?

Edited by spidermike007

Primary inspection revealed that so many lives were perished because the dormitory was locked from outside, thus trapping the victims inside.

----------------------

Locked from the outside. Who locked it up?

Are you kidding me?

This boarding school will be out of business soon from legal liability damages and liens in my opinion.

Safety standards in TH are virtually non-existent. Yet another fire where exits were locked! It's mind-boggling that in today's age of technology, the most basic electrical and / or fire safety systems could not be installed(???) or maintained. Convicting the guard as a scapegoat where the real culprits are going to get off with a small fine.....

I truly feel for the relatives of these poor young girls. Very sad.

Fire sweeps through school dorm in Thailand, killing 17 girls
BY BNO NEWS

CHIANG RAI: -- At least 17 young girls have died and two others remain missing after a fire swept through a private school’s dormitory in northern Thailand, police say. Several other students have been seriously injured.

The incident began at about 11 p.m. local time on Sunday when a fire broke out at a dormitory for girls at a private elementary school in Wiang Pa Pao district, which is located in the northern province of Chiang Rai.

Police told the Thai Rath newspaper that 17 girls between the ages of 5 and 12 were killed in the blaze, while two other children remain unaccounted-for. Five girls were seriously injured while 14 others were able to escape unhurt.

Full story: http://www.streetwisejournal.com/fire-sweeps-through-school-dorm-in-thailand-killing-17-girls/

swlogo.jpg
-- StreetWiseJournal 2016-05-23

I imagine doors were locked.

And windows are barred as is common in Thailand, so the children cannot get out.

The barred windows is security measure used in homes and schools across thailand. Incredibly stupid things that value property over human life. I am glad I did not put them on my windows.

In God's care now. crying.gif

How horrible for god to let it happen in the first place. After all he is all powerful and omnipresent, right? So why didn't he stop it? Maybe because he doesn't exist. Perhaps they are in the care of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Back to reality - horrible event. RIP little ones.

Saying "RIP" is equally dismissive and belittles the tragedy. It's a terrible learned habit just like god. They are not resting peacefully. That's false comfort to avoid the painful reality. They were burned alive. There must be accountability.

I stayed in a hospital in Ubon R. They locked the fire escape doors every night, as a smoker I like a cig before bed and couldn't have one. I smoked on the outside stairway to the nurses annoyance during the day, at night no chance.

The safety implications of the doors being locked really annoyed me but complaining got me nowhere.

I don't use that hospital anymore.

I pray to God for them young souls, Amen

God is almighty, isn't he? So he let them die then, did he? Your god apparently thought it was a good idea to burn little girls alive.

Edited by zakk9

17 girls died in dormitory fire in Wiang Papao

59_fire-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- Seventeen girls died and five injured after a fire broke out before midnight and quickly engulfed a two-storey half wooden dormitory of an welfare elementary school in Wiang Papao district of Chiang Rai province last night.

About 40 girls, aged from 5-12 years were staying at the girl dormitory of the Pitak Kiatwithaya school in Tambon Wieng of Wiang Papao district at about 11.00 pm.

Fire fighters spent three hours to put the fire.

Primary inspection revealed that so many lives were perished because the dormitory was locked from outside, thus trapping the victims inside.

Charred bodies of the girls were found at the scene. They were all burned beyond recognition.

Fire fighters said they could rescue five girls from the raging half cement half wooden building, two in serious condition.

Another girl remains missing.

The cause of fire is still unknown.

Forensic police along with Chiang Rai governor and Wiang Papao district chief officer were at the scene this morning.

DNA samples of all the bodies would be collected for identification.

The school is closed for five days from 23 – 27 May due to fire.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164231

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2016-05-23