MXQ TV BOX

Exnavy

After a long wait, I'm about to get an internet service provided by 3BB. I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to obtaining my TV service via the internet but have been advised to do so via an MXQ TV box. I've seen them advertised on ebay but the packages vary a little in content and description. I'm looking for the bare minimum requirements which seem to be the box and a remote plus leads. But the boxes are named MXQ; MXQ PRO; SMART MXQ; etc. Can sny body advise on what I should go for? Are they good at what they are supposed to do? Are they difficult to 'drive' remembering that I am not a 'computer buff'?

The MXQ Pro 4K uses an amlogic S905 chip good for youtube as it delivers a decent picture. But this box will not allow google playstore apps to be downloaded. Also it has some strange keyboard issues on certain sites. I use this one to watch movies, TV programs etc. Its the latest box,

A smart box that uses a Rk3288 chip is also good. Such as the MK809 4K. Youtube is good.

Smart boxes the use low powered Intel chips should be avoided, way to slow. Now I am using an Ubuntu box to type, very good this but the Youtube is really bad quality.

The MXQ Pro 4K uses an amlogic S905 chip good for youtube as it delivers a decent picture. But this box will not allow google playstore apps to be downloaded. Also it has some strange keyboard issues on certain sites. I use this one to watch movies, TV programs etc. Its the latest box,

A smart box that uses a Rk3288 chip is also good. Such as the MK809 4K. Youtube is good.

Smart boxes the use low powered Intel chips should be avoided, way to slow. Now I am using an Ubuntu box to type, very good this but the Youtube is really bad quality.

MXQ Pro is ok as it has the S905, if you can use playstore or not depends on the firmware you have.

A better box in that price category, also with the S905, is the Beelink M18.

Take a look on Geekbuying, to be sure you get no knock off.

Edited by Berty100

I have the MXQ, its kind of slow and apps freezes often ... my friend has the MXQ Pro, it was much faster and reliable, did not hear complaints from him. I tried running Kodi, most channels loads very slow or don't even load at all compare to my friends PRO version. It could also be because of a bad install.

I would say many of the ebay boxes, content is unreliable/outdated, its best you reinstall or install your own apps. Highly recommend "Showbox" app for watching movies and tv series, newest content updated in a day. You can either stream or download the content to your device.

I have the MXQ, its kind of slow and apps freezes often ... my friend has the MXQ Pro, it was much faster and reliable, did not hear complaints from him. I tried running Kodi, most channels loads very slow or don't even load at all compare to my friends PRO version. It could also be because of a bad install.

I would say many of the ebay boxes, content is unreliable/outdated, its best you reinstall or install your own apps. Highly recommend "Showbox" app for watching movies and tv series, newest content updated in a day. You can either stream or download the content to your device.

I had a slow glitchy Minix unit that came with side loaded Thai apps. I did a factory reset and only downloaded the apps that I wanted, the improvement was very noticeable.

The MXQ is a S805 1.45Ghz cpu with 1 Gb ram, while the MXQ Pro is a S905 2.0Ghz cpu with 2Gb ram. The latter is about the minimum to have a decent Kodi experience.

As I said earlier, the firmware is also very important in how your box will perform. Not all MXQ's have the same firmware.

The MXQ is a S805 1.45Ghz cpu with 1 Gb ram, while the MXQ Pro is a S905 2.0Ghz cpu with 2Gb ram. The latter is about the minimum to have a decent Kodi experience.

As I said earlier, the firmware is also very important in how your box will perform. Not all MXQ's have the same firmware.

anyway to update the firmware for a better experience? Thanks

First of all a 1Gb ram box will never perform like 2Gb box that the MXQ Pro is. The RAM is the memory your system and apps use to perform.

Then You have to figure out which box exactly you have as there is the MXQ with Amlogic S805 chip and the one with the RK3229 chip.

If you have the RK3229 version and you're sure it is not a knock off, you can upgrade at Geekbuying

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2016/03/21/mxq-4k-rk3229-smart-tv-box-firmware-update-2/

Otherwise you can look for your model on Freaktab.com, as that is a forum for android boxes, where you can find a lot of info.

First of all a 1Gb ram box will never perform like 2Gb box that the MXQ Pro is. The RAM is the memory your system and apps use to perform.

Then You have to figure out which box exactly you have as there is the MXQ with Amlogic S805 chip and the one with the RK3229 chip.

If you have the RK3229 version and you're sure it is not a knock off, you can upgrade at Geekbuying

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2016/03/21/mxq-4k-rk3229-smart-tv-box-firmware-update-2/

Otherwise you can look for your model on Freaktab.com, as that is a forum for android boxes, where you can find a lot of info.

I believe mine is the S805 version based on the product listing....thanks for the help

I believe mine is the S805 version based on the product listing....thanks for the help

If you go in Kodi to settings > system info it tells you exactly what cpu, ram and rom your box has.

If you have not bought anything yet, you should consider this one:

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-box-cs918-q7-premium-rk3188-quad-core-android-tvbox-air-mouse-gyro-6-axis-4523289.html

I bought it 3 months ago and are very happy about it.

My requirements were Quad Core processor, 2GB Ram, WiFi and cheap. This one matched all of them.

You need the 'Air Mouse", because it's very tedious to use the Remote.

http://www.lazada.co.th/android-smart-box-cs918-q7-premium-rk3188-quad-core-android-tvbox-air-mouse-gyro-6-axis-4523289.html

My requirements were Quad Core processor, 2GB Ram, WiFi and cheap. This one matched all of them.

I have this same CS-918 Android box (AKA KR-42, RK-3188) It is actually sold under many other names by many dealers for prices ranging from about $40 on up to $100+. The Lazada offer in the link is not bad as it seems to include an air remote. I agree that the normal remote usually included is very cumbersome and aggravating to use. I do like that it has 2 standard USB ports, I don't like that it has no real "On-Off" button, the button showing just puts it into "Stand By". I have to unplug it to be truly off. It seems to run quite hot but that does not seem to effect it.

Some days it works well and I can watch movies uninterrupted, some days nothing at all will load but more a function of my very dirty ADSL line and a poor understanding of Kodi.

If I were doing it again, I would first try Kodi on my PC and learn more about it before buying the box.

I have this same CS-918 Android box (AKA KR-42, RK-3188) It is actually sold under many other names by many dealers for prices ranging from about $40 on up to $100+. The Lazada offer in the link is not bad as it seems to include an air remote. I agree that the normal remote usually included is very cumbersome and aggravating to use. I do like that it has 2 standard USB ports, I don't like that it has no real "On-Off" button, the button showing just puts it into "Stand By". I have to unplug it to be truly off. It seems to run quite hot but that does not seem to effect it.

Some days it works well and I can watch movies uninterrupted, some days nothing at all will load but more a function of my very dirty ADSL line and a poor understanding of Kodi.

If I were doing it again, I would first try Kodi on my PC and learn more about it before buying the box.

One "funny" thing with my box. When I turn it on, there will be no sound, until I switch to the other HDMI input on the TV (Satellite Box), and back again.

I am using an UPS for the TV, Stereo etc, so I just turn that one off in the evening.

PS! I'm completely blank about Kodi; but will maybe check it out one day.

I have now tried Kodi on my box and I am very impressed.

I first experimented with the preinstalled version and then uninstalled it and installed the newest version.

I mainly play videos from my NAS, and it's the only player (that I know of), that remember the videos you have already seen, and where you are in current videos.

The other players will only remember from local media on the Android Box.

The default "skin" on Kodi is fine and the other 3-4 I've tried are terrible. Matter of taste!?.

I recommend, egreat, good boxes with good support, also, you can buy them of Lazada.

I wouldn't touch them, their support and updates are rubbish. I went through a few of them.

My favourite at the moment is KDLinks as a media player.

For Kodi, NVidia Shield.

For IPTV, either the AVOV or MAG.

I have now tried Kodi on my box and I am very impressed.

I first experimented with the preinstalled version and then uninstalled it and installed the newest version.

I mainly play videos from my NAS, and it's the only player (that I know of), that remember the videos you have already seen, and where you are in current videos.

The other players will only remember from local media on the Android Box.

The default "skin" on Kodi is fine and the other 3-4 I've tried are terrible. Matter of taste!?.

I love the Titan skin, really easy to customise so that you just have big buttons for your favourite folders, TV Channels, Addons, Favourites.

Which also makes it excellent for tablets and phones.

I can also recommend this box.Even easier than using an air mouse is to simply use a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I would also recommend looking at the CS918S version. It's basically the same box but with a built in web camera which makes it ideal for video calling.

I heard mxq is very bad choice and they don't support their devices afer a while (firmware etc).

These devices were over 80 usd not long ago. Now you can find for $25 usd including shipping.

My advice is don't buy one under $40 - 50 usd range (don't pay mxq $50 usd either!)

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out that I "forgot" an important requirement: H.265 (x265) HEVC play-ability.

Many new videos are encoded in this format and my current Android TV Box can not play them smoothly.

OK; better buy a new Box.

Here is a site with test videos for x265: https://x265.com/hevc-video-files/

I just found out that I "forgot" an important requirement: H.265 (x265) HEVC play-ability.

Many new videos are encoded in this format and my current Android TV Box can not play them smoothly.

OK; better buy a new Box.

Here is a site with test videos for x265: https://x265.com/hevc-video-files/

For that you will need a box powered with a Amlogic S905 or Rockchip RK3368 and HDMI 2.0.

I prefer the Amlogic devices

I just looked at Amlogic S905 box's at Lazada.

The specs looks good; but I'm surprised they only have 1GB RAM.

My current box is using 1.3-1.4 GB (without doing anything special).

I just looked at Amlogic S905 box's at Lazada.

The specs looks good; but I'm surprised they only have 1GB RAM.

My current box is using 1.3-1.4 GB (without doing anything special).

Lazada is not the place to buy a Android box.

Go to Geekbuying, and you can select the options that you want to have included, then the site will show you all available results at a much lower price than Lazada.

Go for the Beelink or Tronsmart devices, as you will be able to get online firmware updates.

Beelink is owned by Geekbuying, and they also make the PCB's for most of the other reliable brands on the market.

• 2 months later...