Power Cuts

After 6 hours an old man 65-70 came at our street.

No PEA car, civilian, went up to the the local transformer box, he had the the key, made a switch and, EUREKA, WE GOT POWER ,

Seen him working ten years ago, apparently they had to call in the old men to fix it.

Do not underestimate the power of old retirees. oldman.gif

Surprised not on the Forum, I need ELECTRICITY to post,... facepalm.gif

My friend in Lamai had a power cut of 1 hour, please understand the Samui forum is not all about you ... It would be quite sad if you are the only poster on the forums but I know for sure there are at least three !

I live near Bangrak, the power blipped a few times then went out around 1:30pm. The house got to hot to bear without electric so we went out in the car (air conditioning) as we had something we needed to do sometime this week and this seemed an appropriate time.

We drove to Nathon and all the way from Bangrak to Nathon the power was off all the way.

The power came back on about 8pm in our house just as I was packing a bag with the intention of staying in a hotel where there was still an electric supply.

As I write I sincerely hope that all the problems have been sorted.

It seemed to vary around the island, someone did tell me the whole island was down for a while in late afternoon. Even no phone network for a while on DTAC.

Mine came back on after about three hours (around 6 pm) But a resort near me had been down 14 hours the day before came back on for a while and then off again... no generator! (coconut tree fell on the line) Even the hydroponic farm across from me had its generator going!

More wind this morning, not going to be surprised if it goes out again!

There needs to be a lot of tree pruning around powerlines.. wink.png

I was about to post that the power supply was extremely unstable – short cuts and variating voltage – but the the power disappeared.annoyed.gif Getting tired of waiting in front of as PC as dead as a dodo – especially in raincoat, re another posters predictionsblink.png – no power, nor rain, I went up for a nap.closedeyes.gif Woke up, when fan worked from "electric power",wai2.gif would post, but first I need hot coffee – ah, what a reliefcoffee1.gif – power cut again.angry.gif Some say Samui has changed soo muchunsure.png – in my eyes, it's still the exact same as first time I came here, many years ago: countless power cuts...biggrin.png

First hard winds and rain in months:

Flashlight - check

20 liter water bottle in bathroom - check

3G - check

Umbrella - check

I have this spare powerbank for cellphones, also works as a flashlight. - check

-font-b-2200mAH-b-font-font-b-Power-b-fo

No cuts so far today!

it's about a chilly 22 c.... so no need to even turn on fan or AC! Rain a bit like a scotch mist!

My neighbor works at a high end resort, customers complaining that advertising images of Samui never show rain facepalm.gifbiggrin.png

No cuts so far today!

it's about a chilly 22 c.... so no need to even turn on fan or AC! Rain a bit like a scotch mist!

My neighbor works at a high end resort, customers complaining that advertising images of Samui never show rain facepalm.gifbiggrin.png

Sorry the say it, but that's not true – almost same time as first serious cut yesterday; however came back after some 15 minuts, but continued with the often experienced short cuts or drops in voltage on one or two phases...w00t.gif

Jimmy, perhaps you can shoot some rainy pictures and sell to the tourist organizers...thumbsup.gif

No cuts so far today!

Sorry the say it, but that's not true – almost same time as first serious cut yesterday; however came back after some 15 minuts, but continued with the often experienced short cuts or drops in voltage on one or two phases...w00t.gif

Jimmy, perhaps you can shoot some rainy pictures and sell to the tourist organizers...thumbsup.gif

facepalm.gif oh I should have said no power cuts in my area of Ban Por .... very heavy gusts now though!

I'll leave the rainy day photo taking to you.... perhaps you'll win first prize this month's Photo competition....tongue.png

2hrs yesterday, 4hrs today, blinks of between 10 and 30 mins every day for a fortnight. This is reminiscent of Ted Heaths 3 day week in the 70's and I for one am getting pissed off with it :(

Edited by evadgib

After 6 hours an old man 65-70 came at our street.

No PEA car, civilian, went up to the the local transformer box, he had the the key, made a switch and, EUREKA, WE GOT POWER ,

Seen him working ten years ago, apparently they had to call in the old men to fix it.

Do not underestimate the power of old retirees. oldman.gif

thumbsup.gifSurprised not on the Forum, I need ELECTRICITY to post,...cheesy.gif

By the way not one second of power cut in Maret/Lamai not far IT center

Edited by Tchooptip

I was about to post that the power supply was extremely unstable – short cuts and variating voltage – but the the power disappeared.annoyed.gif Getting tired of waiting in front of as PC as dead as a dodo – especially in raincoat, re another posters predictionsblink.png – no power, nor rain, I went up for a nap.closedeyes.gif Woke up, when fan worked from "electric power",wai2.gif would post, but first I need hot coffee – ah, what a reliefcoffee1.gif – power cut again.angry.gif Some say Samui has changed soo muchunsure.png – in my eyes, it's still the exact same as first time I came here, many years ago: countless power cuts...biggrin.png

Bevor power cuts for a week, no internet, no phone, no petrol, candles, bamboo huts.

Now power cuts for hours, phone, ipad, smartphone, laptop, torch app, generators, Big C, Lotus, Central ..........

Bevor power cuts for a week, no internet, no phone, no petrol, candles, bamboo huts.

Now power cuts for hours, phone, ipad, smartphone, laptop, torch app, generators, Big C, Lotus, Central ..........

Think you came double as early as me, I've noticed only small changeswink.png – I'm still living at same beach; same sand; under same palms – however cellphones has changed to smartphones, same-same but different; my favorit Internet-shop has been replaced with Wifi and laptop/tablet/smartphone; two 7-eleven stores became something that feels like 200 (must be Family Mart confusing me); two ATM's (only found one of them, and that was utterly difficult) fells like at least 1,000; one gasoline station became 10 or more, even open after 6pm; I'm still shopping some stuff in the local mum'n'dad-stores, but the malls are handy; don't need to get to Surat to buy cars or refrigerators; 15 years later (some of) the birds in the nightlife are unfortunately the same ermm.gif ; Koh Phangan is stil black at night – ops, think that was another power-cut..?whistling.gif

So nobody knows why half of the island had no power for over 6 hours on Monday?

its on a need to know basis!

I heard it was because a twig fell off a tree and scuffed the side of a transformer. You can just imagine the damage!

Still on a "bright" side.....on no, there isn't one is there....w00t.gif

Think you came double as early as me, I've noticed only small changeswink.png – I'm still living at same beach; same sand; under same palms – however cellphones has changed to smartphones, same-same but different; my favorit Internet-shop has been replaced with Wifi and laptop/tablet/smartphone; two 7-eleven stores became something that feels like 200 (must be Family Mart confusing me); two ATM's (only found one of them, and that was utterly difficult) fells like at least 1,000; one gasoline station became 10 or more, even open after 6pm; I'm still shopping some stuff in the local mum'n'dad-stores, but the malls are handy; don't need to get to Surat to buy cars or refrigerators; 15 years later (some of) the birds in the nightlife are unfortunately the same ermm.gif ; Koh Phangan is stil black at night – ops, think that was another power-cut..?whistling.gif

actually not too much difference between power cuts and no power cuts at the 80s. There was nothing but the wind, the palm trees, the sea, some huts, sounds, smells and very warm feelings

My friend in Lamai had a power cut of 1 hour, please understand the Samui forum is not all about you ... It would be quite sad if you are the only poster on the forums but I know for sure there are at least three !

I live near Bangrak, the power blipped a few times then went out around 1:30pm. The house got to hot to bear without electric so we went out in the car (air conditioning) as we had something we needed to do sometime this week and this seemed an appropriate time.

We drove to Nathon and all the way from Bangrak to Nathon the power was off all the way.

The power came back on about 8pm in our house just as I was packing a bag with the intention of staying in a hotel where there was still an electric supply.

"the power blipped a few times then went out"

FYI What you experienced was an auto-close transformer. It opens on a detected fault, then attempts to restore power, assuming the fault was transitory. After a couple of goes with fault persisting, it gives it away until manually reset. That is NOT going to happen in a few minutes, so expect an extended delay.

At the very least someone has to go to the tx to reset. More than likely a line is down or foreign object touching the wires.

FYI What you experienced was an auto-close transformer. It opens on a detected fault, then attempts to restore power, assuming the fault was transitory. After a couple of goes with fault persisting, it gives it away until manually reset. That is NOT going to happen in a few minutes, so expect an extended delay.

At the very least someone has to go to the tx to reset. More than likely a line is down or foreign object touching the wires.

Shouldn't post after Chang o'clock. Auto-reclose circuit breaker, not transformer.

Shouldn't post after Chang o'clock. Auto-reclose circuit breaker, not transformer.

I've got the idea, thank you....

I regularly used to see a phase go out and the fuse go where I lived before.

At the moment the electric supply is really unreliable on Samui, for example I was on Soi Regae last night and there was a power cut for about an hour from 6:30pm without any wind or rain. Kudos to the guys that came and fixed the problem (the bar owner had the engineer's phone number and rang him straight away).

Hopefully the situation will improve.. but don't hold your breath.

Edited by TheLobster

I've got the idea, thank you....

I regularly used to see a phase go out and the fuse go where I lived before.

At the moment the electric supply is really unreliable on Samui, for example I was on Soi Regae last night and there was a power cut for about an hour from 6:30pm without any wind or rain. Kudos to the guys that came and fixed the problem (the bar owner had the engineer's phone number and rang him straight away).

Hopefully the situation will improve.. but don't hold your breath.

I'm in Lamai, and has been pretty good the last month or so. But we are regularly getting low voltage for short periods - fans slow down, and older model flouro lights refuse to start.