If you see an accident what do you do?

stupidfarang

Get out my phone and start filming, even better now as you can stream live to Facebook.

Never miss an opportunity to get something on video that might go viral and earn me a load of money.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

typically all the accidents I have seen are whilst Iam in the car so if possible I slow down, take a few pics then carry on my way.

Great - another rubbernecker!

No thought that whilst you are busy taking pics and not concentrating fully on your driving that you are more likely to cause another accident. There have been some truly devastating motorway accidents in the UK, with multiple loss of life, proven to be caused by people doing exactly what you do.

typically all the accidents I have seen are whilst Iam in the car so if possible I slow down, take a few pics then carry on my way.

No thought that whilst you are busy taking pics and not concentrating fully on your driving that you are more likely to cause another accident. There have been some truly devastating motorway accidents in the UK, with multiple loss of life, proven to be caused by people doing exactly what you do.

Yep another rubbernecker. build a bridge matey and get over it.

Living on Samui I unfortunately has experienced a number of accidents first hand. If there's already help, I pass by, not to get in the way – if not, first thing is to check if it's seriously (someone hurt) and call for assistance (ambulance/police). I (unfortunately) don't have enough knowledge to do much emergency help, so I will avoid to do something wrong that may worsen the condition, but I can preserve things get worse by for example organize traffic, or whatever needed in the present situation; luckily ambulances at Samui normally arrives within minutes.

I have experienced folks (mainly Thais) just standing at distance and looking, doing nothing at all. Once I was passing an overturned motorcycle at the opposite lane and someone lying by the roadside. I stopped my car – folks were still standing at distance looking at the weird farang – I called for ambulance and helped as much as I could; a Russian man had tilted on his motorbike, he was in pain and had some bleeding damages, and maybe something broken..? Talk, ask name, where it hurts, where they come from, where they stay, about having friends with them here etc. – not only to get information, but also to keep the victim conscious and calm down; I've heard that it's important. Please comment...

I've also heard stories about people being made responsible when helping – some say's it's not true – and often Thais tell me to move on and don't interfere; but I come from a country where it is customary to provide help. However, there is one true story from the island, where a farang stopped his motorbike and helped a little flower-sales-girl, who had been hit by a runner motorbike just in front of him; he ended up being badly beaten up, as some Thai men by mistake thought he was the one motor-biker hitting the little girl...

I still have no second thoughts to provide help, whenever I can...

I agree but the digital nomads seem not to understand that aspect!

As far as what help a person might give goes: calling ambulances, directing traffic, blocking oncoming traffic etc are all normal things that anyone might be expected to do without even thinking. Whether or not medical intervention would be a step too far would surely depend on the circumstances - stemming the flow from a severed artery, almost certainly yes and I suspect that would be an automatic reactive response - moving a person in any way, probably not - taking a back seat where it was viable to do so, almost certainly.

which digital nomads are your talking about...you seem to have gone on a tangent...old boy

Unless you hold a First Responder certificate and you intervene in a medical emergency and that person dies, you can be held liable, regardless of whether Thai or foreigner.

Source?
Ketchup please!

Seriously that sounds like the sort of crazy law that might exist in the 'sue over anything and everything' American society - but I'm rather doubting it is the case in Thailand, or many other countries for that matter..

its only a law in the imagination of the poster who wrote it...no such law exists, the relevant extract in Thai law, (in English) has been cited and it says nothing of the sort

For the avoidance of doubt: a supposed legal quote from a web site that sells First Responder Courses in Thailand has been posted, that however is not necessarily the full extent of the law on this subject, almost certainly it is not, neither is what was posted entirely accurate either. It's also worth reminding here that whilst my earlier quote was never intended to directly reflect Thai law on this subject, the associated legal pitfalls of helping are outlined in post 28 above.

For the avoidance of doubt: a supposed legal quote from a web site that sells First Responder Courses in Thailand has been posted, that however is not necessarily the full extent of the law on this subject, almost certainly it is not, neither is what was posted entirely accurate either. It's also worth reminding here that whilst my earlier quote was never intended to directly reflect Thai law on this subject, the associated legal pitfalls of helping are outlined in post 28 above.

Show me the paragraph from the law which states "a first responder certificate is required" and if a person dies under the care of someone who doesn't have a first responders certificate, the person providing the first aid or assistance will be held liable...you exact quote is below for reference

if you cant please and stop flim flamming...you made a statement of fact and you cant prove said statement of fact...

your not a lawyer so you cannot comment on any possible legal pitfalls as your not qualified to do so.

Unless you hold a First Responder certificate and you intervene in a medical emergency and that person dies, you can be held liable, regardless of whether Thai or foreigner.

Show me the paragraph from the law which states "a first responder certificate is required" and if a person dies under the care of someone who doesn't have a first responders certificate, the person providing the first aid or assistance will be held liable...you exact quote is below for reference

if you cant please and stop flim flamming...you made a statement of fact and you cant prove said statement of fact...

your not a lawyer so you cannot comment on any possible legal pitfalls as your not qualified to do so.

Troll, Mods!

Troll, Mods!

pathetic...

Troll, Mods!

In what way is that a troll post??

You started by saying that "Unless you hold a First Responder certificate and you intervene in a medical emergency and that person dies, you can be held liable, regardless of whether Thai or foreigner".

When asked for proof of that you provide reference to something that says almost the exact opposite.

The 'proof' you provided suggests that if you hold a a First Responder Certificate (or are other wise qualified) to help with medical assistance and you do NOT assist then you would be liable to prosecution. It also states that regardless of whether or not you hold a certificate you would not normally be held responsible for any outcome.

You are contradicting yourself with your own 'proof', and when asked to actually provide proof that does substantiate your original claim your response is to go crybaby and call Troll.....

Edited by Shadychris

You're as slippery as a wet bar of soap.

First you give us chapter and verse from the bar stool book of Thai law, then when confronted with the actual law you resort to claims it's not the whole collection of Thai law and/or the law might say one thing buy the sneaky people involved might rig the application of the law.

It would be far simpler, and you might at least retain some credibility, if you admitted your extract from the bar stool book of law was the hogwash it clearly is.

If, for whatever reason, you personally would not stop to assist someone injured in an accident at least have the honesty to admit it, rather than dreaming up reasons why you or anyone else should not give assistance.

Edited by GuestHouse

I would say it could go either way ...but probably most of them would recognize that you just came to help.......but ....you may not be able to walk away so easy as you could be further dragged into the affair in unsavory ways and be called as a witness, for example, and have to testify and then upset someone....some how, someway.

I am thinking ...Next time you see an accident get involved and help out and report back to us because now, all of us are curious to know what happens...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Living on Samui I unfortunately has experienced a number of accidents first hand. If there's already help, I pass by, not to get in the way – if not, first thing is to check if it's seriously (someone hurt) and call for assistance (ambulance/police). I (unfortunately) don't have enough knowledge to do much emergency help, so I will avoid to do something wrong that may worsen the condition, but I can preserve things get worse by for example organize traffic, or whatever needed in the present situation; luckily ambulances at Samui normally arrives within minutes.

I have experienced folks (mainly Thais) just standing at distance and looking, doing nothing at all. Once I was passing an overturned motorcycle at the opposite lane and someone lying by the roadside. I stopped my car – folks were still standing at distance looking at the weird farang – I called for ambulance and helped as much as I could; a Russian man had tilted on his motorbike, he was in pain and had some bleeding damages, and maybe something broken..? Talk, ask name, where it hurts, where they come from, where they stay, about having friends with them here etc. – not only to get information, but also to keep the victim conscious and calm down; I've heard that it's important. Please comment...

I've also heard stories about people being made responsible when helping – some say's it's not true – and often Thais tell me to move on and don't interfere; but I come from a country where it is customary to provide help. However, there is one true story from the island, where a farang stopped his motorbike and helped a little flower-sales-girl, who had been hit by a runner motorbike just in front of him; he ended up being badly beaten up, as some Thai men by mistake thought he was the one motor-biker hitting the little girl...

you need to keep them awake, talk about anything except the accident, once they nod off it is not a good sign. The golden hour is what its called, if not conscious youll need the recovery position depending on the injury of course.

you need to keep them awake, talk about anything except the accident, once they nod off it is not a good sign. The golden hour is what its called, if not conscious youll need the recovery position depending on the injury of course.

and that is probably the one single correct and concise answer to the original question of 'If you see an accident what do you do?' that was needed.

and that is probably the one single correct and concise answer to the original question of 'If you see an accident what do you do?' that was needed.

you missed my first removed answer then?

With a traffic accident you would leave them in place, and not use the recovery position.

With a traffic accident you would leave them in place, and not use the recovery position.

and if necessary watch them die, there are too many variables on this and im thinking mainly bikes as in Thailand thats the bulk of accidents

http://www.survivetheride.org/riders/first-aid/

Edited by kannot

Yep another rubbernecker. build a bridge matey and get over it.

From my nephew who was a traffic cop in UK.

If there is an accident on the north bound side of the motorway cars are despatched to the south bound side as it's fairly sure the slow down take a look drivers will cause another accident.

and if necessary watch them die, there are too many variables on this and im thinking mainly bikes as in Thailand thats the bulk of accidents

http://www.survivetheride.org/riders/first-aid/

Unless there is a risk of the victim suffocating in his own vomit, leave him as he is.

If I'm really pissed, and not hurt too bad, I'll get back on my bike and get the <deleted> away before some bugger recognise me.

Otherwise, if I can't ride, I just start yelling and accuse the unconscious victim. Has worked before. After checking their pockets of course. Don't want the bloody ambos stealing from them.

Edited by Goanna

Whilst driving around Samui a few years ago, I found a young boy lying at the side of the road after falling off his motorbike with no helmet. I spoke to his friend and offered to take them both to the local hospital. On arrival at the hospital the Dr thanked me profusely and swiftly told me to leave immediately before any locals got at any ideas. Lesson learned. Sadly I would not do the same again

Case by case basis for me. I would (to generalise) stop and make a call to emergency responders first, then respond to the persons(s) involved, but in a very restrained way (realistic verbal reassurance stuff), then stand away. When enough crowd had formed then I'd be on my way, knowing that local speakers can communicate much better than I.

So that would be a halfway house between doing all I could without implicating myself just by being there, and ignoring the needs of a fellow human. I'm only talking about this country when I say that. In another country where my language would be better understood and I knew my rights to defend myself then I'd have a much greater involvement. I'd then assess the situation (after emergency response request of course), and maybe remove any immediate dangers in the vicinity if I was able, then once again wait, but in that instance I'd stick around and give my version of what I saw.

A long time ago I saw a road traffic accident on the motorway (1 car 1 dog roaming), and I called 999 (UK) first. They asked me which service did I require (Ambulance/Fire/Police). It never occurred to me before to think about that. I thought (Ambulance for sure, Fire to cut them out of the vehicle, and probably Police for a statement). The person on the phone didn't really like that I was requesting all services, but it looked much much worse than it actually was (A-Post across the torso and bulkhead crushed the legs). I was shocked and pleased to discover via police the next day after they cut him out of the vehicle that he only had 10 stitches in one leg. I was sure he was a gonner with all the blood and pain and the state of the vehicle. There was only me there, nobody to hand the reigns to. All worked out well. Not sure in Thailand if it would work like that. Never had to contend with that to date, but it is often on my mind when I'm on the road and watching all the potentials and how they could play out.

Source?

As I thought the poster got his assertion from ""Thailand Myths and Urban Legend Book" by Dick H. Farang "

Below is the answer from a lawyer...

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

https://www.firstaidtrainingbangkok.com/about/good-samaritan-laws.html

Not sure if Somsak lawyer is also a member of the Thailand Myths book.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794455-liability-of-helping-someone-that-is-injured/?hl=accident

Having said that, it's not unknown for an innocent member of the public to be subsequently 'involved' with the accident.

I used to live next door to an american paramedic who went to see the ambulance guys on the soi to have a chat and check out their work situation. Apparently they dont even know first aid.

Edited by Kaalle