Eight Russian tourists injured in Pattaya van smash - driver flees scene

webfact

You are much more likely to walk away from a crash in a big bus than from one in a minivan. Also the big bus operators tend to be more inclined to protect their investment by being a bit picky about drivers.

By the same logic I refuse point-blank to ever get on a motorbike in Thailand. Too much risk of death or major injury even in a small accident.

Only 2 days ago.

7 passengers died in this big bus accident and 24 ended up in hospital.

I don't think it makes any difference whether in a big bus or a minivan when there's a nut loose

behind the wheel!

Every now and again dozens or hundreds of unlucky people may die in a single aeroplane accident but the plane is still far and away the safest form of travel.

Had the accident you mention happened to a minivan the odds are that everyone on board would have died, though in that big bus only a quarter of them did. Those odds suit me better. Not to mention that anyone injured in a big bus accident would probably be less severely injured than in a minivan accident at similar speeds.

Exactly , so I follow the odds of survival , last time I took a minivan was 3 years ago and I promised myself never again . Never had any serious problems with bus drivers so far , I use the buses mostly between Pattaya and Bangkok. But plenty of scary episodes with minivan drivers.

Driver "flipping" a vehicle and "running " away will certainly "tarnish" the Pattaya image even further.

Yep. I'll leave them for dead and forget about calling for emergency services.

Disgraceful !!

Pattaya's image is already in the toilet how can you damage it further?

I agree with your sentiments of Pattaya but at this stage maybe it is unfounded. The bus was leaving from Koh Chang. May not have been a Pattaya local.

While bus drivers don’t have a fantastic driving record either at least when it comes to travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang I reckon with the kamikaze style of driving adopted by most of the minivan driver’s you stand a much better chance of arriving at your destination on the big 99 bus. I wouldn’t go on a minivan even if someone else paid my fare

Honestly ?...have you seen the way they drive those big buses as well ?

1000 times better than minivan drivers

...kudos and praises to the Good Samaritans of the public that stopped and lent assistance to the people trapped in the van.

This is basic human decency.

I hope known of the Russian occupants were seriously injured. Does anyone know their status?

One thing I always carry with me---on bicycle, car and motorbike is an excellent First Aid kit. I have broken it out a time or two for minor injuries sustained by others I have come across. Rather than buy a ready made first aid kit---I went to Big C and purchased several small waterproof boxes with a clasp-style locking top.

Betadine, bandages, alcohol swaps, antibiotic ointment, sterile eye drops, gauze and gauze wraps.

Driver "flipping" a vehicle and "running " away will certainly "tarnish" the Pattaya image even further.

Yep. I'll leave them for dead and forget about calling for emergency services.

Disgraceful !!

Pattaya's image is already in the toilet how can you damage it further?

I agree with your sentiments of Pattaya but at this stage maybe it is unfounded. The bus was leaving from Koh Chang. May not have been a Pattaya local.

hardly the point of the thread now is it.......pattaya local.....thai local etc.....about a chicksh%%t driver

It should be legal to shoot any driver running from the scene of an accident. That would stop that, after a while...

A good and quite practical suggestion.

Strange that here the fact of failing to assist in an emergency situation is not a criminal offense.

Especially from the driver, who indeed has the duty to take care for his passengers.

Driver flees the scene like a headless, startled monkey.

Perhaps they should also consider to exchange the ignorant - i do not understand my job - drivers against responsible drivers.

I am wondering also, if here are no compulsory courses for first aid and emergency measures at the accident site for drivers working in public passenger transport?

But I must admit your solution is more Thai.

Went to play golf today,via the infamous road 36. Another smash there today between two lorries, just where the Russians bought it. Apparently one lorry swerved in front of the other for the reasons outlined in my previous post. Huge tailback.

The authorities must look at the road surface on this stretch, or they are going to have regular deaths and injuries.

While bus drivers don’t have a fantastic driving record either at least when it comes to travelling from Pattaya to Koh Chang I reckon with the kamikaze style of driving adopted by most of the minivan driver’s you stand a much better chance of arriving at your destination on the big 99 bus. I wouldn’t go on a minivan even if someone else paid my fare

Honestly ?...have you seen the way they drive those big buses as well ?

1000 times better than minivan drivers

I agree with you, as long as you differentiate between the regular scheduled buses with set routes, and the gypsy buses who take tour (and party) groups on their random larks- especially the ones in the double decker party buses. Some of the gypsies are no better than the mini-van drivers- and their speeding projectiles are several times bigger.

I've never had a bad scheduled route bus drive. I suspect it's all about the gypsies getting paid more $$ for more miles, more trips and more passengers.

I will resist, kicking and screaming, ever getting into another public mini-van in Thailand. Same with party buses- though I've never taken one, just on my experience with them 10' behind my bumper at 100KM/hr.

Edited by impulse