Sending Dog Rabies Titre Serum to UK Lab

Hi Guys,

I am looking to save some pennies and send my dogs blood serum myself to a UK lab when I am back in the UK for 3 weeks this summer. My vets can make the serum so my plan is to take it in checked luggage, then when in the UK immediately send it to the UK lab next day delivery for testing.

A few questions:

1) When completing the Lab forms for the test they seem to be geared towards providing the service for Vets not owners, with fields for the Vet address etc. Will there be any issue in simply putting my own house details for the results etc? Or would I have problems them when exporting / importing to the EU?

2) I have heard mixed comments about using an ice pack to keep the serum cool. Is this needed? If so would it be needed for both the flight and the postal to the lab once in the UK?

3) What UK service should I use? Simply something like DHL next day recorded delivery? Will they take blood samples OK as I know the international DHL will not carry handle them on normal service here from Thailand (hence why I want to post within the UK). Should I just send when within the UK with no indication of what is contained?

Any other general advice about doing the testing this way?

Hopefully it will cost nearer £60 than £300 if doing via my Vet here in Thailand handling it all.

Cheers

I believe you will still get the overseas fee.

Are you looking to import into the the UK directly?

I am reluctant to say, as I do not know the facts, but I was under the belief that it was a slide blood sample that is dried, anyone actually defiantly know?

Do be aware that the UK OIE approved RNAT place has suspended operations, being :

Dr Anthony Fooks
Rabies and Wildife Zoonoses Group
Virology Department
Animal and Plant Health Agency

The UK Gov recently gave BioTest approval while things are sorted out, but do be aware that most other countries in the world have not as they are not OIE approved yet.

As per last week, the Animal and Plant Health Agency of UK refereed me to the French. Reply below.

APHA has temporarily suspended rabies serological testing and is no longer accepting samples for testing under the EU PET scheme. Please use an alternative EU approved laboratory. See the full list of approved laboratories. All statutory diagnostic testing for rabies and human rabies serological testing are unaffected and will continue as usual

Dr Florence Cliquet

Agence nationale de Sécurité Sanitaire de l'Alimentation, de l'Environnement et du Travail (Anses)
Laboratoire de la faune sauvage de Nancy
Technopôle agricole et vétérinaire
B.P. 40009
54220 Malzéville Cedex
FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 83 29 89 50 Fax: +33 (0)3 83 29 89 58
Email:
[email protected]

(Side note for Australians or Kiwis reading this, the CSIRO is also doing it now but it is a pain in the butt getting the samples into the country I was told, it is possible though, considered an infectious / dangerous good, but they are very helpful, it is much easier to send it to France by Fedex )

We are planning to import to Amsterdam first then ferry to UK. That way we can fly him ad checked luggage not cargo which is considerably more expensive.

Surly with EU legislation all EU countries must except the same testing and conditions? I was going to use biotest for the same reasons you stated.

The overseas cost I referred to is the levy the pet hospitals add to the process here in Thailand. If I send to lab myself once in UK is usual fee and a £10 postal fee to send to my vet in Thailand.

Do you think I will have issues in Amsterdam if the lab tests is OIE approved?

The.gov site seems to list biotest still.

Be aware that there are special requirements associated with packaging/ transporting biological specimens especially across international boundaries.

Any lab you intend using will reject any improperly packaged/presented specimen.

Details are available from Labs, the post office and the courier services.

I can also confirm that the last post above is spot on, even the container has to be a special approved one and they are very picky in the UK on the declaration.

I have had a DNA test from an Australian Dog rejected a the border (UK), well sent form a Oz vet due to a mispelt word in the declaration.

My non expert understanding from my communications is that BioTest is OK for UK and EU, and not for ALL other countries (yet). I would strongly confirm with the Dutch, it seems to be very fluid at the moment.

Every lab I have rang or emailed charge an additional fee to do test for animals abroad. This is on top of any Thai Vet service fees. What you are proposing I have no idea in fact, I suggest you contact the Dutch to confirm they are 100% happy with BioTest and contact BioTest asking the fees for your unique situation.

I wish I was sending to the UK, Aust is a nightmare.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach