Just been arrested? There’s an app for that, UN says

geovalin

Amid what has been characterised as a government crackdown on civil liberties, people confronted by police in Cambodia can now utilise a new UN-developed app to remind officers of their rights under the Kingdom’s laws.

Developed by the UN Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights for Android devices, the app uses “interactive voice response” technology and can articulate the legal rights owed to an individual in the event of their arrest.

The rights include: to know the reason of arrest, to access a lawyer, to remain silent, to refrain from confessing, to be taken to court, to contact a family member and to be able to complain if any rights are breached.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/just-been-arrested-theres-app-un-says

so now they will have to make sure the take your phone off you when arrested. i got locked up a few years ago for having the wrong address in my work permit. thai cops didnt bother to search me so i still had my phone on me so i was able to call a lawyer and take a selfie. wish i could find that photo now.

I am sure the Cambodian police will gladly inform you of your rights when arrested. NONE.

Just because the UN says you have rights and that there is an app for that if you are

arrested, does not make it so. tongue.png