Melted fluorescent lamp holder may be the cause of dorm’s fire in Chiang Rai

webfact

Melted fluorescent lamp holder may be the cause of dorm’s fire in Chiang Rai

2505004-wpcf_728x410.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- The burning of a fluorescent lamp holder is suspected to be the cause of the fire at the dormitory of Pitakkiat Witthaya school in Chiang Rai province which killed 17 girl students.

Pol Lt-Gen Thanitsak Thirasawat, commissioner of Region 5 Provincial Police Bureau, said Wednesday that police investigators found a melted fluorescent lamp holder on a pile of cloth in the burned-out dormitory and that is the only linkage with the fire. He dismissed the possibility of an arson.

In the aftermath of this tragedy, it was reported that the Lampang governor, Mr Samart Loyfah, ordered officials of Sueksa Songkroh Chit-aree school under the patronage of the late Princess Mother to check electrical equipments at a dormitory in the school to find out whether they are in good working conditions or not and whether fire extinguishers are still working.

Several other schools in different provinces also took precautions by rechecking electrical equipment and electric wires in schools.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164815

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-26

When are they going to learn to stop reporting guesses and wait for the facts to come out? It may have been a lighting or it may have been someone smoking or playing with a lighter or any other number of excuses. This report being made makes one believe they are setting up for an excuse to be given instead of what actually happened.

When are they going to learn to stop reporting guesses and wait for the facts to come out? It may have been a lighting or it may have been someone smoking or playing with a lighter or any other number of excuses. This report being made makes one believe they are setting up for an excuse to be given instead of what actually happened.

Interesting that yesterday it was reported the BIB were now ' reticent ' about discussing possible causes and that the local police commander had deferred to the regional commander concerning comments.

Unusual for the police to clam up like this, they usually can't stop talking and accuracy isn't always a consideration.

Interesting that yesterday it was reported the BIB were now ' reticent ' about discussing possible causes and that the local police commander had deferred to the regional commander concerning comments.

Unusual for the police to clam up like this, they usually can't stop talking and accuracy isn't always a consideration.

Yes, but this ploy had been used several times by the BIB. Leak some nonsense and then use that as their back fall when they can't find the real reason or alternative scapegoat. Once they focus on one aspect of what may have happened, all other possibilities seem to be forgotten and all focus is laid on that.

Yes, but this ploy had been used several times by the BIB. Leak some nonsense and then use that as their back fall when they can't find the real reason or alternative scapegoat. Once they focus on one aspect of what may have happened, all other possibilities seem to be forgotten and all focus is laid on that.

Great investigative technique.

Instead of starting at the beginning and work forward to the most reasonable and accurate conclusion, start with a conclusion and work backwards to make everything fit.

This MAKES ME SICK! - They keep coming up with "possible causes" - when will they fess up and start addressing the4 REAL PROBLEM which is that regardless of how the fire started, these callous "b's" did not have appropriate safety systems in place!!!

Edited by cumgranosalum

Didnt they say yesterday it was a neon light.... today its a fluro ?

they really are clueless aint they.

Doesn't matter what they say, it is irrelevant to the main issue - the safety of the occupants.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Doesn't matter what they say, it is irrelevant to the main issue - the safety of the occupants.

So, you are saying they are clueless ?

Who believes that they have a fully qualified investigator up there? Indeed, I would have my doubts that there is one in the whole of Thailand!

I'm not talking about someone that they say is qualified but someone who truly is.

Edited by bluebluewater

alarms? sprinklers? unlocked escape routes?

Exactly - there should be a detailed report on the status of all this sort of stuff - instead it looks like they are using debate over the cause to draw attention away from the real issue, which in turn would require some answers from those in charge.

So one has to say that this looks like an attempt to protect the reputations of some people who should really be called to book.

I imagine it's a language thing. Do you know the Thai names for neon lights as compared to fluorescent lights? Do you think it's important? Probably the same with whoever wrote the English language version of the story.

...it really seems they are clueless...as everything is burnt to a crisp.....

..but they keep ignoring the fact that those responsible for looking over the innocent victims appear to have been absent.....

Who believes that they have a fully qualified investigator up there? Indeed, I would have my doubts that there is one in the whole of Thailand!

I'm not talking about someone that they say is qualified but someone who truly is.

I am pretty sure Thailand has no one who is qualified in forensics. You cant learn forensics from watching CSI Miami

Edited by gandalf12

I imagine it's a language thing. Do you know the Thai names for neon lights as compared to fluorescent lights? Do you think it's important? Probably the same with whoever wrote the English language version of the story.

Indeed you are correct.

fluorescent light = หลอดนีออน - หลอด = tube; นีออน = neon

neon light = แสงนีออน - แสง = light; นีออน = neon

This MAKES ME SICK! - They keep coming up with "possible causes" - when will they fess up and start addressing the4 REAL PROBLEM which is that regardless of how the fire started, these callous "b's" did not have appropriate safety systems in place!!!

think if they change and make the guidelines and rules so they adapt the european plugs that increases safety.

as well the writing system and sockets.

American plugs and sockets used can cause many problems that are solved with the european versions

as well protection against electrocution and touching by child fingers the shielding is better prevention of accidental; contact with the european plugs and sockets

as well when used the wiring system in the european way can solve a lot of problems

( I am not familiar with the australian wireing way)

and the european versions are available in Thailand when one strat to ask.

Edited by Autonuaq

I am pretty sure Thailand has no one who is qualified in forensics. You cant learn forensics from watching CSI Miami

Some posters on TV have! The outpouring of expertise and professional opinion never fails to amaze!

They have a particular set of skills...just ask them...

Some posters on TV have! The outpouring of expertise and professional opinion never fails to amaze!

I agree with you. So many forensic expert, homicide detectives and of course most are ex Seal's, SAS or SBS

I agree with you. So many forensic expert, homicide detectives and of course most are ex Seal's, SAS or SBS

Setting aside the delusional folk who were (read: always wanted to be) forensic scientists (read: watched too many CSI episodes) SEALS, SAS or SBS or Deltas or whatever, it is a public forum and all members are invited to express a view.

That, after all, is what they're doing.

Winnie

Indeed you are correct.

fluorescent light = หลอดนีออน - หลอด = tube; นีออน = neon

neon light = แสงนีออน - แสง = light; นีออน = neon

Why, thank you. I wouldn't have known where to look that up. At home I always just say หลอดไฟฟ้า. Everybody seems to understand what I'm talking about. This also suggests why the translator made the mistake in the first story. Most of the people who sneer have never learned another language.