May 26, 201610 yr I currently have a Non O visa based on marriage but will be applying for a marriage extension next month. What I was wondering is what is the maximum amount of time you can leave Thailand for and keep the extension valid i.e. you leave Thailand for more than 1 year with a re-entry permit and then return?
May 26, 201610 yr The extension will be for 1 year. The re-entry permit will be valid until the end of the extension. If you leave for more than 1 year both will have expired and you will have to start again.
May 26, 201610 yr Perhaps 364 days? A re-entry permit is valid to the end of a current extension, thus if you go over the one year, start over again. Mac
May 26, 201610 yr A re-entry permit is valid for the length of the extension of stay. It expires when the extension does. You can be out of the country for a long as you want to as long as you return prior to the date your extension ends to apply for a new one. If not you have to start all over again.
May 26, 201610 yr The extension will be for 1 year. The re-entry permit will be valid until the end of the extension. If you leave for more than 1 year both will have expired and you will have to start again. --------------------------------- Corret but...................you must be back at the end of the year to renew the marriage extension......untril it is time for renewal you do not actually need to be living in Thailand. You can use an exit re-entry permit to be out of Thailand for most of the year but you must be back at the end of a year when new yearly renewal is due.. Most people don't stay out that long, but is compltely legal. Just be back when another year long extension is due. This also applies to a extension based on retirement.
May 26, 201610 yr "You can use an exit re-entry permit ..." It's not an exit re-entry permit. Just a re-entry permit.
June 2, 201610 yr Author I applied for the marriage extension today which is now under consideration. One thing that I'm not sure about is that the IO stamped in my passport that I have to return on 25th of July. I asked if this should be June and was told July. This is 7 weeks away and would put me on an overstay. Is this normal?
June 2, 201610 yr I applied for the marriage extension today which is now under consideration. One thing that I'm not sure about is that the IO stamped in my passport that I have to return on 25th of July. I asked if this should be June and was told July. This is 7 weeks away and would put me on an overstay. Is this normal? Apparently the office you applied at starts the 30 days from the date your current permit to stay ends instead of from the date you apply. Many offices do it that way.
June 2, 201610 yr I applied for the marriage extension today which is now under consideration. One thing that I'm not sure about is that the IO stamped in my passport that I have to return on 25th of July. I asked if this should be June and was told July. This is 7 weeks away and would put me on an overstay. Is this normal? You will not be on "overstay" the under consideration stamp legitimises your stay until the extension is provided. Follow the IO's instructions and return to the office on July 25
Create an account or sign in to comment