nobody at the Thai embassy in Vientiane. My short report.

just a few farangs when I was there, just a few, I mean one farang and I only.

so few people that a lady sitting at a table take your application for tourist visa.

no question asked but you will get 1 entry only. I thought she was controlling my documents before going to the window, but no, she put my application in a box and gave me a number and told me I have to pay 1000 bahts next day at 13.30.

the waiting line of 2 hours is over. took me 30 seconds only.

other things I have noticed, there are nobody near the embassy, and all restaurants close very early. before we were hanging at the restaurant tables, drinking beers and chat. but now, it s a dead place.

price is now 600 for a basic room. before 500 bahts .

and be sure to write down the address where you will stay in Thailand, if no address, you will be refused a visa . they didn't ask for booked hotel.

Edited by returnofthailand
  • Like 2

rolleyes.gif The normal procedure is to apply on the first day in the morning and return the next day in the afternoon to pick up your visa.

So it takes 2 business days.

This is common at all thai consulates and embassies.

Vietianne is no exception.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

There is a Pizza Company store directly opposite the embassy. It should be open all day. There's also a French place nearby, but just like in France, it seems to be closed more often than it's open so unless you go exactly at 12pm, don't expect to be able to have a late lunch, for example. That's their "siesta" time.

I was in Savannakhet a couple of days ago with a mate who was getting a TR visa from the consulate there, he left the hotel at 8.45 and was back at 9.30. He said there were about 25 people in the queue at opening time, mostly Lao people, just half a dozen 'farang'.

Mondays and Thursdays are the days the visa run companies arrive at Vientiane Embassy, best to avoid these days if you a planning a trip there

As for the Filipinos they use the visa run companies to get their TV's

• Like 1

I was there last month, and it was packed.

There was also about 30 Filipinos that seemed to be with some sort of agency, looked like they were applying for tourist visas...

I was there 2 months ago with an agency, to get another tourist visa and the Thai Consulate was packed with more than 100 people.

There were at least 40 people there using the same agency as me.

I've been to Vientiane many times. I am very impressed with how they have organized the process and tightened the regulations. The Vientiane embassy staff have always been polite and tolerant, but they must be quietly pleased they dont have to deal with no shoes Chang beer-drinking "tourists" any more. Plenty of Asian tourists when I went, gotta say as an Aussie, I'm far more comfortable around Asian tourists as I'm sure the Thais are too. Nothing wrong with a bit of decorum. Good onya Thailand, do whatever you think you need to.

rolleyes.gif The normal procedure is to apply on the first day in the morning and return the next day in the afternoon to pick up your visa.

So you're disputing what the OP said?

It would have been busy last month and also upto the middle of this month as many foreigners would have been doing the run to the border as they are teachers. Now that schools are now into their 2nd week it should quieten down.

I thought the 2-day process was the normal one as well. Perhaps when the volume is that low they're able to streamline things a bit. When I was there in December the crowd was large (and as large as it was, I'm told it can be enormous!). BTW - you're dealing with the Consular Section, not actually the Embassy, which is NOT co-located with, or very near to, the Consular Section.

So you're disputing that very often, people start threads on Thaivisa filled with totally unfounded, false information? Not saying that's the case in this thread, but it is a widespread practice.

re

the waiting line of 2 hours is over. took me 30 seconds only.

other things I have noticed, there are nobody near the embassy, and all restaurants close very early. before we were hanging at the restaurant tables, drinking beers and chat. but now, it s a dead place.

at the embassy ( pics ) from december 10 have all the touts outside

now gone ?

dave2

post-42592-0-19835400-1464313894_thumb.j

post-42592-0-32670500-1464313919_thumb.j

Last time in Vientiane I got 490 in cue number and there where about 100 people standing in line behind me waiting for their turn.
I had to go to Udon Thani for this weekend (normally I'm closer to the border to Myanmar...) for an MOU signing between VEC and their Indonesian counterpart tbut I will still go to Sawannakhet on Monday to applyg for a new non-b because that consulate has worked so much better for me than the embassy in the past. Last time I went to Vientiane for a non-b visa they said no because some document was not 100% as they wanted it... I just took the bus in from Vientiane to Sawannakhet and I had no problem applying and geting my visa at the consulate there the day after.