Chinese man arrested at Suvarnabumi with fake passport he bought on internet for $6,000

webfact

Chinese man arrested at Suvarnabumi with fake passport he bought on internet for $6,000

ch.jpg
Image Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A Chinese man was stopped trying to leave Thailand today with a fake passport he said he had bought on the internet for $6,000 US dollars.

The passport that had the man's details overlaid on the original ones was in fact a passport of a Malaysian woman reported stolen some time ago.

Wang Jinghua, from China was on his way to Toyko when Suvarnabumi immigration officials spotted irregularities with his passport. Use of a magnifying glass showed there was blurring so it was checked on a VSC 6000 machine that showed the new details had been overlaid on the original information. Apart from that there was also suspect inkjet printing reported Sanook.

It was discovered to be a passport belonging to a Malaysian woman who had reported it missing. The Chinese man told immigration that he had been in Thailand since 2013. He entered illegally via Mae Sai and had no passport. He paid an internet company money for the passport.

He was charged with attempting to use a fake passport and illegal entry into the kingdom and detained for processing.

Source: Sanook

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-26

Do they have direct access to stolen-passports data bases at immi-checkpoints, or is the magnifying glass the only one resort? Just asking, as my passport got stolen about 3 years ago, and I do not want my name/ID details end up in a (not really) funny Interpol/FBI data base. Could turn out as a nightmare...

So why were they looking closely at his passport? Could it be that despite the fake stamp, his departure card didn't have a corresponding arrival 'other half' in the system.

BTW I had my passport stolen some time back. For the next year or so, every Thai border crossing involved a 10-minute delay while they worked out that I was travelling legitimately on a new passport.

tachileik/mae sai is notorious for illegal entry into thailand... plenty of fake id's (and probably passports) available in shan state. many chinese have bought genuine burmese ID cards for just/under 500$ at muse. there's a little more control now but still extremely corrupt.

I think the mystery is why has this man been in Thailand for three years and what has he been doing while he was here ? Unless he had a rather larger than normal cash stash and has been lounging on beaches for three years i would say he has probably been up to no good in some way, maybe hiding from the Chinese Authorities for some reason ?

It remains to be seen if the RTP follow up on his activities or if they will smell his wad, relieve him of a good part of it and let him walk.

Do they have direct access to stolen-passports data bases at immi-checkpoints, or is the magnifying glass the only one resort? Just asking, as my passport got stolen about 3 years ago, and I do not want my name/ID details end up in a (not really) funny Interpol/FBI data base. Could turn out as a nightmare...

I've worried a little about this myself, but poking around the internet the biggest issue with a stolen passport seems to be getting the replacement. If, having formally reported the old passport as lost or stolen, you're successful in being issued a new one, completely on the up & up, and you're not refused, then most of your troubles are seemingly over. Or that's my conclusion. If anyone knows better, I'd be interested in hearing...

I've worried a little about this myself, but poking around the internet the biggest issue with a stolen passport seems to be getting the replacement. If, having formally reported the old passport as lost or stolen, you're successful in being issued a new one, completely on the up & up, and you're not refused, then most of your troubles are seemingly over. Or that's my conclusion. If anyone knows better, I'd be interested in hearing...

When you report your passport stolen, the new one issued, U.K. anyway, clearly states 'REPLACES PASSPORT NO xxxxxxxxx DATED xxxxxxx REPORTED STOLEN'