DTAC international roaming SMS

bubba1

Anyone have any issues getting SMS messages from Thai banks while international roaming? I want to make sure I can get OTP messages. On DTAC in Thailand it looks like they are not coming from a regular phone number but some other type of service

This is going to be highly dependent on the bank(s) involved. And maybe the service provider. And maybe the target countries.

Can you share that detail?

A search like bangkok bank OTP site:www.thaivisa.com will yield some valuable information.

Some banks use Short-Code SMS (SCSMS) services (out-sourced to third-parties for bulk delivery, and low cost), which may, or may not transition across the global GSM system.

For standard SMSes on DTAC/Happy, assuming you have international roaming enabled ( *118*9# SEND ), have enough of a pre-paid balance and have a local signal, you should be able to receive and send SMSes. I do.

I 'm on DTAC and can receive SMS's with OTPs from Siam Bank in the UK with no problems. I always keep around 500 Baht on the phone and extend the validity of my number for as long as I can (up to 1 year is possible) before I leave Thailand.

I have DTAC and bank with both SCB and Bangkok Bank and have never had a problem getting the One Time Passwords in the US via SMS . I just take my DTAC SIM and put it into my spare phone and just turn it on, when I need an OTP and then enter the OTP into the field required for online banking

They wont be coming from the standard numbers as they are relayed i.e. sent through a number of intermediate links before reaching you.

BBL and SCB appear to use bulk SCSMS services, which should transition the global GSM system and be delivered to a Thai SIM roaming in another country. But this assumes that you have international roaming enabled, sufficient balance, a local signal and the local roaming partner elects to pass on the SMS. The "sender" will not show as a "number", but rather just as a name (e.g. Bank-BBL). A "standard" SMS would show as coming from the originating number, and you could reply to the SMS.

This is what most verification systems use to deliver a code via SMS, say when you are installing and registering a mobile application.

Not that it matters in this case, but some VoIP service providers cannot handle all in-coming SCSMS.

I haven't used the mobile banking applications for BBL, or SCB, but am guessing those also require SMS OTP for transactions?

Archived