Wanting to stay for 6 months, what are my options apart from METV?

Hi guys, I really appreciate this - I've been searching around all day and am still not sure on the exact rules.

I'm from a country that is visa exempt and I want to stay in Thailand for 6 months near end of year (already booked the tickets). I know there is a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa option which allows me to stay in Thailand for 6 months.. but I have to leave every 60 days to then return straight after, which is strange.

Now I'm worried if I don't get the METV (they require $7000 in my bank account for a total of 6 months, which I have saved now but not months ago) they will have to offer the single entry tourist visa which grants me 60 days with a possible 30 day extension.

Now what confuses me is someone told me after the single entry tourist visa expires (after the 90 days after extending) I can just travel to a neighbouring country and apply for another visa there and come back - now if I can do that why would I ever want to get the METV which costs more and requires me to 3 trips back and forth from the country - could someone please explain this? I really want to stay for the full 6 months.

Thank you so much!

As I understand it, if you get a double entry tourist visa, each entry is valid for 60 days, extend that by 30 gives you 90, leave re-enter and same again giving you 6 months in total if you time it correctly.

60 + 30 out/in 60 + 30 = 6 months, mission accomplished.

• Like 1

As I understand it, if you get a double entry tourist visa, each entry is valid for 60 days, extend that by 30 gives you 90, leave re-enter and same again giving you 6 months in total if you time it correctly.

Unfortunately, there is no longer a double entry tourist visa, only single or multiple.

There is no way that you can remain in country for six months without leaving.

You have a choice of the METV or SETV both of which demand you leave after a max (with extension) stay of 90 days.

A second/third SETV (if required) is easily obtained from nearby country.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there is no longer a double entry tourist visa, only single or multiple.

Thank you, I stand corrected, but the same could be achieved with the "multi" entry if timed correctly ?

There is no way that you can remain in country for six months without leaving.

You have a choice of the METV or SETV both of which demand you leave after a max (with extension) stay of 90 days.

A second/third SETV (if required) is easily obtained from nearby country.

So what exactly is the difference between the METV and SETV if both require me to leave the country after 90 days and SETV's can be obtained after I leave?

A single entry once spent would require a fresh application etc at an appropriate place(consulate). A "multi" would mean crossing the border, walk around the building and stamp back in again.(using nong khai border as an example)

To clarify, leave Thailand, enter another country, re-enter Thailand again.

Depending on where you go, one could be done in twenty minutes (multi entry) the other (application) could take two days, submit day 1/collect next day, (depending on where you go).

A single entry once spent would require a fresh application etc at an appropriate place(consulate). A "multi" would mean crossing the border, walk around the building and stamp back in again.(using nong khai border as an example)

Ahh I see, something to keep in mind while I plan it

Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 1

A lot of it seems to come down to whether you are happy leaving the country and getting another SETV or just doing a visa run.

From my calcs its cheaper using a couple of SETVs if you are planning on visiting the country anyway rather than a METV and doing visa runs.

Something else to consider, depending on how long you want to stay in Thailand: If you re-enter on a Multi-Entry just before the "Enter Before" date, you get another 60 days, which is extendable by 30 days at Immigration - so the Multi-Entry can be good for nearly 9 months.

just come to Thailand for 30 days, then book a flight to udon and we will explain you the rest. don't worry.

from udon take bus in front of shopping mall and go to nong Kai bridge.

get tuck tuck to Thai embassy for a Tourist visa and return next day. you will be good for 90 days. repeat process every 90 days.

easier done than said!

Edited by returnofthailand