Advice on buying a motorbike

Owner of both and they are so different bikes. Ofc you should go for a PCX. Both are small enough to go between cars in traffic but PCX is bigger, wider grips ,bigger seat, has start/stop function etc.

I also own both and the PCX is the way to go. Comfortable, fast and more stable than the Click. Click is okay around the village but for commuting, you'll appreciate the bigger bike.

Yamaha has the new NMax out, pretty much a direct ripoff the very successful PCX. Better brakes but it's a new model which always worries me and it won't hold it's value like the Honda.

i see the usual forum doomsayers are up early again.

dont ride a motorcycle.... you'll die

dont drive a car...... you'll die

dont take a bus....... you'll die

dont drink alcohol..... you'll die

dont bang bar girls.... you'll die

and girls with no front bottom... die for sure

dont fly here on a plane.. you'll die

dont read TV too often... you'll die.... of boredom.

I guarantee he'll die

One bit of advice, treat wet roads as if ice.

Edited by kannot

That being said, the only thing I would suggest is a narrow body bike. The PCX is cute and all but it is definitely larger and will not fit in all the gaps a smaller bike can fit in. I love my Honda Wave 125i, it has .

You are getting a lot of good advice. I would second this bit about the PCX. A major positive about bikes is their ability to lane split. Once you get good at it, it can save you hours, keep you cooler, and studies say it is safer. You will be very happy.

But the PCX is too wide and big, it looks to me, for lane splitting.

I bought a . Super practical (ex.good storage under seat) and powerful. I think they last a long time, but so does any scooter. But! the Vespa is Expensive. I think I would get some of that money back if I ever sell. But still.

Be careful! If you don't know what counter steering is, you need to learn.hatmain stand compare to the click and Wave. I was shocked how easy it was in fact found it to .be easier than the click. The PCX was the last bike I really was looking to buy but

I've have a Click, Wave 125, and a PCX, before I decided on a PCX, which was really the last bike I really wanted but when it came down to it, I rented a PCX, for a day. Found that the handle bars was only a inch at best wider and although it seem heavier I had a easier time putting it on the main stand. The little extra weight is much better on the road and felt safer because the bike feels well balance. The end, I had no problems splitting lanes what so ever which was what I heard from everyone. When it comes to splitting lanes my son say I'm the King. The perception is it is larger but I can tell you great bike. I feel safe going a 100 KM/H but my normal speed is 60. As noted, I have larger tires and gas shocks.

Guy 1: Don't bother with a scooter! Start out on a 300cc bike then go with a 650cc! Much more reliable and practical and faster!

Guy 2: Don't bother with a motorbike altogether! Get a car! Much safer!

I ride both scooters and big bikes, and drive a car. They all have places in our daily lives. Scooters are used by people who have no interest in motorcycles to begin with, that's why they get a scooter at all, it isn't hard to understand right off the bat that the OP isn't a motorcycle enthusiast, why would he buy a motorcycle with clutch and gears at all?

And you can't survive with just a car alone. Even if you don't care about higher prices, and worse gas mileage, you can't buy time. And unless you have a helicopter, you need a motorbike. One of my friends just sat there for 3 hours in bangkok traffic during rush hour with her car. Would she have to sit there for 3 hours if she had a scooter? No. And riding a motorbike in rush hour is probably the safest way to ride a motorbike in this country.

My advice is DON'T buy a motorbike.

One bad accident on the highway could buy you a lot of used cars that offer you more protection after you incur the medical bills....that is if you survived.

Most medical policies now exclude injuries from motorcycles.

The motorcycle policy would cover some medical bills, but as I recall the policy limits were inadequate. Then they try to throw the 'preexisiting denial at you for some charges.'

Most travel policies now even exclude motorcycle taxis.

With serious accidents, most private hospitals without proof of insurance require a minimum of $20,000 credit on one or more credit cards just to get admitted.

Even if the other person, a Thai citizen was at fault you would have an uphill struggle collecting and would require paying a Thai lawyer, if you could find a licensed trial lawyer, a big retainer.

Sometimes, it's cheaper to rent a car for an extended period of time when you consider, depreciation, maintenance, insurance and all the paperwork hassles.

A responsible driver is the best way to go if you can find one. Many of them rent cars. Actually, two would be better as they are not always available.

Good luck...

What are you talking about?Driving car is much more dangerous in Thailand for "farang" than drive bike!!!
Why?

Ps

Who is "farang"?

After driving and riding in this country I have found the Rule of the Road here is, "It is your job to avoid me" and the Me is every driver of cars,trucks, buses, or scooters. If you ride like that you will have less heartache. Good luck.