proof of address - is a phone bill of a post paid plan accepted?

Just wondered if a phone bill of a post-paid plan is accepted as proof of address? Unfortunately the electricity bill is not under my name. landlord refused this for some obscure reason. rental contract is my landlord's very special own creation, in English only and might probably not be accepted too, so I wonder if my post-paid bill by DTAC could serve as proof of address (applying for Thai drivers license, for example), as this is an official and properly registered Thai enterprise. Not?

When Immigration (in Pattaya) used to require proof of residence for the 90 day report a telephone or Internet bill was perfectly acceptable, but they no longer require proof.

The only thing that the Land Transport Office will accept as proof of address is either a letter from your Embassy (expensive) or a Residency Certificate from your local Immigration office ( cost depends upon the particular office)

• Like 1

When Immigration (in Pattaya) used to require proof of residence for the 90 day report a telephone or Internet bill was perfectly acceptable, but they no longer require proof.

The only thing that the Land Transport Office will accept as proof of address is either a letter from your Embassy (expensive) or a Residency Certificate from your local Immigration office ( cost depends upon the particular office)

What about the yellow book? Can that be used by Land Transport office?

It has been reported here that a Yellow Book is not acceptable at the Pattaya Land Transport office

And do you guys really think that the OP has a snowball in hell chance of getting a Yellow Book if his landlord won't even give him a decent lease !

Just did my yearly Extension at Jomtien (yesterday/today) and the lady asked me if I had a Thai Drivers License to use as proof of address. I didn't but I had brought a TrueVision cable bill with me and she took that instead. Makes me chuckle because the 90 Day desk is like 15' away and they don't need any "proof of address" (once you've initially proved it and have been "registered"). You'd think that once you're "in the system" that you wouldn't have to keep proving your address each time you go to a different desk. I'm sure if I go to get a Residency Certificate (from the same office) that I'd again have to provide proof of my address

Edited by Kerryd

Just did my yearly Extension at Jomtien (yesterday/today) and the lady asked me if I had a Thai Drivers License to use as proof of address. I didn't but I had brought a TrueVision cable bill with me and she took that instead. Makes me chuckle because the 90 Day desk is like 15' away and they don't need any "proof of address" (once you've initially proved it and have been "registered"). You'd think that once you're "in the system" that you wouldn't have to keep proving your address each time you go to a different desk. I'm sure if I go to get a Residency Certificate (from the same office) that I'd again have to provide proof of my address

"You'd think that once you're "in the system" that you wouldn't have to keep proving your address each time ..."

Because people never move to a new address??

I get annual requests to confirm that I'm still alive, at the same address, etc from Social Security in the US. The fact that I was alive and at this address last year doesn't make them conclude I'm still both alive and at this address this year.

Edited by Suradit69

If they refuse to accept the yellow book call the government hotline and let them fix it. Not worth to get agitated. It is as good as a work permit, if not better.

• Like 1

The OP must define for what purpose..

For Thai vehicle purchase.. Work permit, yellow house book, immigration letter, or embassy are the 4 useful things.

For an international bank or financial institution (KYC.. Know Your Customer) it must be a utility bill, including internet, but excluding mobile phones, or an existing bank domestic or international..

For another purpose ?? Depends on the needs of the requester.

For many years with no problems,

I always use yellow housebook and/or "5"years drivers license.

If not accepted for any reason, then at that occasion I will surprise any officer with the chanote papers where I have usufruct registered with my name and address AND/OR can show more recent divorce papers where my usufruct is confirmed, stating that I can stay at the land/house as long as I live.

Your landlord with all of the new enforcement by immigration should have reported who lives in rooms, homes, motels etc... So, unless you speak Thai have your landlord complete the form available at stationary stores near schools or others.

I TYPE GOGGLE AND TRANSLATE TO THAI WITH INSTRUCTIONS I WANT DONE, IT HELPS 70% OF THE TIME.

IT goes hand-in-hand with my financial requirements once a year with an O.

The only thing that the Land Transport Office will accept as proof of address is either a letter from your Embassy (expensive) or ....

Out of curiosity: how much money are we roughly talking about? I understand that each Embassy will have different price points for issuing a confirmation document but it would be interesting to just have a ballpark figure. Thank you!

Another question on the same topic. If on retirement visa and move to a new home, when do I have to tell Immagration. Can I wait until nex schedule 90 day renewal or do I need to it now?

Technically your landlord , if you have one, is supposed to report your occupying a new residence. But some don't adhere to the rules and in most case's that rule is rarely enforced

As far as your reporting a move most Immigration office's tell you to report a change at your next 90 day report. At least that is what most posters here have been told. But how rules are enforced or not enforced is once again dependent upon which Immigration office you report to

Sorry to sound so vague but that is the nature of the beast when dealing with rules and regulations in Thailand

• Like 2

Only proof of address is a residence certificate from immigration or from your Embassy when applying for Thai driving licence.

I concur as you will not be able to get the yellow book which someone has already stated you could use

Another question on the same topic. If on retirement visa and move to a new home, when do I have to tell Immagration. Can I wait until nex schedule 90 day renewal or do I need to it now?

Technically your landlord , if you have one, is supposed to report your occupying a new residence. But some don't adhere to the rules and in most case's that rule is rarely enforced

As far as your reporting a move most Immigration office's tell you to report a change at your next 90 day report. At least that is what most posters here have been told. But how rules are enforced or not enforced is once again dependent upon which Immigration office you report to

Sorry to sound so vague but that is the nature of the beast when dealing with rules and regulations in Thailand

You are correct about things being dependent on who you are dealing with.

I've found this to apply when producing photocopies, especially of a passport, as it's all down to the official, police officer etc who you are dealing with. Some are no problem, some are confused and some like exercising their authority, for a couple of reasons ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1