Is this actually a good place to live?

qwertymerk

OP, I hear you, visiting Thailand for a holiday and actually living here are two different animals. As you seem to be finding out. Again, when you ask about people's experiences here, there are many variations, age difference being a main one, as to what sort of answer you will get.

I do have to ask though, how much influence has what you have read or heard as opposed to your own personal experience got to do with your mindset at the minute, as you have stated in the OP? And where have you traveled that you have felt unsafe or are you static in a certain area?

'If you haven't seen it with your own eyes, don't make it up with your mouth' is a good adage to follow through your journeys, and this breaches the young/old divide........................wink.png

Good luck with your upcoming choice.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no pattaya, ok to visit but not to live, i think thailand very safe because i dont feel that thai people are mostly nice and that its rare that they commet violent crimes against foreigners..i mean who wants to live in saouth america? it must be a nice place to live because they keep tightening up visa requiremenst as if too many people wanna live here.. i lke it here

You make life what you make it here. As time goes on I do find myself very much missing many of the things I could get in my own country like clean beaches, beautiful bike tracks, great hiking spots, great spots to take kids and dogs, fresh and organic foods. Living in Bkk is another hurdle. After a while it just seems like a monstrous city of 13+ million people with poor infrastructure, traffic and some pollution. Malls or a good gated community are refuges. I long ago stopped going to the foreign tourist areas and dont travel much in the city because of traffic and lack of spaces to walk outside of interiors. Tourist areas were great fun when I first arrived but years later they are pretty predatory places and not fun any more. The constant hassles (protests, coups, floods, droughts, alcohol bans etc.. ) start to wear you down. Safety is poor - roads are widow makers - and balconies seem to be lethal. The population is now much older on average than when I arrived and smiles are very few. Most people are very disinterested in what they do - work wise. The sense of youthful vibrancy just isnt here now. Thailand is starting to feel like a middle aged country reflecting its demographics. Tired, stressed and frustrated at not reaching its lofty goals and ambitions (a constant source of humorous derision for foreigners).

So why do I stay here - its central to Asia for work purposes, I have a nice place to live, weather is warm, my home situation demands that I remain here in Bkk. But given the choice now, if I wasnt already entrenched here, I might consider either my home country or Cambodia. But I might also might consider staying. Its a fence sitter - i dont think the decision is as clear cut as it use to be.

That is exactly how I feel. At first, Bangkok was great because I'd never seen anything like it, but now the novelty has wore off and it is starting to agitate me. As you say, the traffic, the hassle, people aren't as friendly as they once seemed, etc, etc.

Getting around is another big issue for me. Firstly, buying a car is stupidly expensive and probably a stupid idea too, because you can't move in the constant traffic jam. Second choice is to buy myself a scooter and pray that I don't get killed. Or last choice, I can use the BTS and stand up for the majority of my journey, but this means I'll have to pay more accommodation to be near the BTS.

The only reason I feel like I should stay now is because I have a girlfriend.

OP, I hear you, visiting Thailand for a holiday and actually living here are two different animals. As you seem to be finding out. Again, when you ask about people's experiences here, there are many variations, age difference being a main one, as to what sort of answer you will get.
I do have to ask though, how much influence has what you have read or heard as opposed to your own personal experience got to do with your mindset at the minute, as you have stated in the OP? And where have you traveled that you have felt unsafe or are you static in a certain area?
'If you haven't seen it with your own eyes, don't make it up with your mouth' is a good adage to follow through your journeys, and this breaches the young/old divide........................wink.png

To be honest, a lot of what I read at first I chose to ignore. Then when it came to the point where I had to start thinking about work and visas, it just started to get me down a bit but I didn't let it put me off. I suppose it's just the longer you stay here, the more it starts to agitate you.. The same rule probably applies in most countries.

The horror stories are things I've read online, and although I haven't witnessed some of these stories myself, they're still things I have to be careful of in future. Also, I do have some horror stories of my own but there's nothing I can do about them. It just showed me that you can't trust anybody, even if they're your so called friend.

You make life what you make it here. As time goes on I do find myself very much missing many of the things I could get in my own country like clean beaches, beautiful bike tracks, great hiking spots, great spots to take kids and dogs, fresh and organic foods. Living in Bkk is another hurdle. After a while it just seems like a monstrous city of 13+ million people with poor infrastructure, traffic and some pollution. Malls or a good gated community are refuges. I long ago stopped going to the foreign tourist areas and dont travel much in the city because of traffic and lack of spaces to walk outside of interiors. Tourist areas were great fun when I first arrived but years later they are pretty predatory places and not fun any more. The constant hassles (protests, coups, floods, droughts, alcohol bans etc.. ) start to wear you down. Safety is poor - roads are widow makers - and balconies seem to be lethal. The population is now much older on average than when I arrived and smiles are very few. Most people are very disinterested in what they do - work wise. The sense of youthful vibrancy just isnt here now. Thailand is starting to feel like a middle aged country reflecting its demographics. Tired, stressed and frustrated at not reaching its lofty goals and ambitions (a constant source of humorous derision for foreigners).

So why do I stay here - its central to Asia for work purposes, I have a nice place to live, weather is warm, my home situation demands that I remain here in Bkk. But given the choice now, if I wasnt already entrenched here, I might consider either my home country or Cambodia. But I might also might consider staying. Its a fence sitter - i dont think the decision is as clear cut as it use to be.

That is exactly how I feel. At first, Bangkok was great because I'd never seen anything like it, but now the novelty has wore off and it is starting to agitate me. As you say, the traffic, the hassle, people aren't as friendly as they once seemed, etc, etc.

Getting around is another big issue for me. Firstly, buying a car is stupidly expensive and probably a stupid idea too, because you can't move in the constant traffic jam. Second choice is to buy myself a scooter and pray that I don't get killed. Or last choice, I can use the BTS and stand up for the majority of my journey, but this means I'll have to pay more accommodation to be near the BTS.

To be honest, a lot of what I read at first I chose to ignore. Then when it came to the point where I had to start thinking about work and visas, it just started to get me down a bit but I didn't let it put me off. I suppose it's just the longer you stay here, the more it starts to agitate you.. The same rule probably applies in most countries.

The horror stories are things I've read online, and although I haven't witnessed some of these stories myself, they're still things I have to be careful of in future. Also, I do have some horror stories of my own but there's nothing I can do about them. It just showed me that you can't trust anybody, even if they're your so called friend.

You're either a city person or you aren't. I lived in London for years before coming to Bangkok, so I take all that stuff in my stride. But if you're a small town boy, it might all be a bit much for you.

You're either a city person or you aren't. I lived in London for years before coming to Bangkok, so I take all that stuff in my stride. But if you're a small town boy, it might all be a bit much for you.

I'm from Birmingham mate. I like busy but not too busy

It only took you six months?

My, my my......

It takes most much longer to take off the rose colored glasses.

But to answer your question.

Yes, Thailand is a very good place to live...if you are the right kind of person to live in Thailand.

If not, move on..the world is full of places.

For many ....it is a place to live but not because they think it is such a good place to live....per say

First Rule:

Try not to compare or criticize and do not let "things" get to you ...Just focus on enjoying what is there to be enjoyed.

Next Rule:

Ignore all the nonsense going on around you.....and do not let it bother you.

Next Rule:

Find your own comfort Zone and do as you please as long as it is not harmful to others.

In the end....just another place to live and spend time living and enjoying life.

So come on over and enjoy the adventure, the fun and the entertainment...Thai style....lol

Cheers

I'm from Birmingham mate. I like busy but not too busy

I've been to Birmingham. It's not so much a city as just one massive suburb.

Unless you have unique skills your chances of prospering in Thailand are minimal. Granted that you can live on 30,000 or so a month teaching English but what happens when fate steps in.You get sick or your GF gets pregnant. Go home, get a job make some money, and then come back. Underfunded farangs are a dime a dozen

Thailand is a great place to visit...living here is yet another story altogether...

Personally lived in or spent time in several areas of Thailand...could not recommend any of these places as a quality place to live...

Weigh all your options before making the decision to move...do not burn all your bridges back home...you may find home is where you want to live after-all...

Consider taking a few extended vacations to Thailand to help you decide...try Cambodia, PI, and Vietnam as comparisons...

Think about healthcare, security, climate, cleanliness, banking, transportation, language barrier, corruption, scams, hassles at immigration, cost of living and so on...do not just focus on women, booze, and easy access to drugs...

Good Luck!

I live and work in thai 16 years non stop.

Speak and read thai. Things change a lot last few years. Now with our friendly p.m.... things get better. Things get whorse. For new expats in thai hard to get a job.visa...etc etc. I think sometimes when im stuck in traffic (every day) what the hack i am still doing here. I can make tripple more income for the same work in the place where i came from. Hmmm. Life is hard here in los. Its nice and beautifull... but hard. Something have to push my limits for returning. But for now... still stuck in traffic...

Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

Agree with this too, however I wish to stress the ideal word here.

After the end of your honeymoon phase (as phrased accurately by another member) you start realizing that it's not ideal at all. Earthly paradise doesn't exist more in Thailand than anywhere else. Thailand does have a lot of nice things to offer but much trouble can be around the corner too (especially when you're working hard, growing older and you haven't saved that money during your working years!).

Then, you make a choice based on what you value most compared to what "nanny states" offer.

Political uncertainty and the real risk for this country to become wildly unstable after a certain event takes place is something to be considered too.

Well that's what I'm thinking to myself now. Of course it's a beautiful place, but when you start looking at settling down, then you face all of the problems that come along with it; ownership problems, car price, health costs, low salary, work permits, traffic, etc. If you're going into business here, that seems to be another issue unless you're Thai. It seems like the cons outweigh the pros.

As for speaking Thai, I know a lot of basic words and phrases, enough to get me around and stuff.

But now I'm having second thoughts about the whole idea of staying here long term. I'm looking for somewhere hot, so UK is off the list lol. Though I wouldn't mind going back to the UK for a short term visit i.e. 6 months or less. I'm thinking maybe Australia, or somewhere else in SE Asia which doesn't come with so many obstacles?!

We often tell people who are thinking about moving to Thailand to visit for 6 months and see the differance from a 2 week holiday to actually living here. You have done that and don't like what you have seen. Time to go sir.

As a retired guy, this is certainly a great place for me and I have a long history here...

I will be the first to say that i do not know what it is like to be 23 and trying to make a living anywhere... and that may be the most important thing for you to measure out - make an estimated guess as to how well or no you might do anyplace.. Thailand will definitely present a differing set of obstacles for you as far as doing business here - visa, culture, language will have to be learned and dealt with on a different level than a retiree...

I would guess that for purely financial gain, you are more likely to do well in a coutnry where English is spoken and customs are more familiar...

I did live in Bkk for a few years, but many years ago - - what got to me eventually was the lack of greenery. Then the traffic build up etc... - -

As to the girlfriend... well, "you'll always have Paris" or Bkk - - yes, I know that probably doesn't register for you, but all the lovely old romantics on this forum will smile wistfully... we all have girls gone by in our past... ahhhh, to all the...

Edited by kenk24

To me it's hands down the best place in the world despite all its shortcomings, but hey, every country in the world has its downsides, right? People are different, though. I would listen to your heart.

In regards to your not being able to trust people, of course there's idiots, but I've made mainly good experiences with Thais. They have a great sense of humor, unlike most westerners, and if you treat them well, you'll get the same back.

Some Thais in holiday destinations are different, though, because they have to put up with us inpatient and complaining falangs all the time.

To me it's hands down the best place in the world despite all its shortcomings, but hey, every country in the world has its downsides, right? People are different, though. I would listen to your heart.

In regards to your not being able to trust people, of course there's idiots, but I've made mainly good experiences with Thais. They have a great sense of humor, unlike most westerners, and if you treat them well, you'll get the same back.

Some Thais in holiday destinations are different, though, because they have to put up with us inpatient and complaining falangs all the time.

Speak for yourself, dude. You might be a whiner, but that doesn't mean we all are.

It's a great place to live IF you follow certain rules, some of which are cultural and some of which relate to financial security.

All the horror stories appearing on TV arise because those rules were ignored or disobeyed.

As a retiree, my situation is different to the OP. However, there is one golden rule for Thailand which you ignore at your peril:

NEVER PUT MORE MONEY INTO THAILAND THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.

Speak for yourself, dude. You might be a whiner, but that doesn't mean we all are.
A whiner? He states it is the best place in the world.

There are many different opinions. I see it his way. It's a great place to retire provided that you have a lifetime pension that will allow you a decent life style and enough of a nest egg to cover any major illness.. I have lived in Thailand for many years and I intend to be here until it's time for my BBQ.

That said, if you are a young man, I'd advise you to stay in your home country during your peak earning years. This is not a good place to raise a family because your children will get a substandard education. You may be earning enough money to get by but it's likely that you will not be saving a lot of money nor will you be building a pension. Like it or not, you too will get old, too old to earn a living. Then what? No pension and always the possibility that you could get sick. Young bullet proof guys will tell you to enjoy your life. That's a nice sounding idea but not very practical. Take a trip to Pattaya and look at the young burned out alcoholic bums wandering the streets. Many came over here with a pocket full of money never thinking the money would run out.

It's a great place to live IF you follow certain rules, some of which are cultural and some of which relate to financial security.

All the horror stories appearing on TV arise because those rules were ignored or disobeyed.

As a retiree, my situation is different to the OP. However, there is one golden rule for Thailand which you ignore at your peril:

NEVER PUT MORE MONEY INTO THAILAND THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.

Nonsense. The 'financial security' rules only apply if you deliberately seek the company of people who want to take your money. Plenty of people come here with no such worries.

Also thank you for your responses. I appreciate all advice, input, and constructive criticism. I'm 23 years old by the way if that helps. I have a girlfriend too, who I've been with for around 3-4 months now, so that's another thing I need to consider, she's Thai.

Forget the girlfriend she is just that, a girlfriend,

As the Thais say, not my family not my problem.

Good place to live or good place to work?

What skills do you have?

What do you have to offer?

Coming over here to throw your future in the bin.

I learned along time ago on here not to mention salary, too many haters and jealous types.

Get a proper education and job, and get sent here on a MNC contract.

Seen it way too many times here, guys wasting their time, by the time they wake up its too late.

There is more to life than earning 80k per month as a TEFLr.

If you want to live for today, go for it, if you think about the future, go elsewhere.

Thailand is only ideal for a holiday, or for older people who wish to relax whilst they enjoy their retirement.

100% correct.

I've lived in LOS on and off for years, but enjoy it less living there than when I visited on holiday.

To really enjoy retirement would take much more money than I have. I'd love to live on the beach, but can't afford that.

Disagree. I live and work here, and would not want to live anywhere else

I do agree with you, I live and before worked here, and also would not to live anywhere else.

I'd say it's more a case of life is what you make of it...

I realise things can be a bit harder with immigration for the under 50's (me too). However for me that was the only real major hurdle to overcome and you do have options, especially if you either able to find work locally, start a business or work online. There are pro's and con's to any place in the world. I think it's all about balance. There are plenty of great things about Thailand and plenty of challenges too, just like anywhere. There was a time when I was concerned that I would only have my girlfriend (now wife) but that phase passed quickly because of my efforts.

Don't give up, keep exploring new opportunities, get involved with local activities/events, do some volunteer work, join a thai language course, meet new people. You are certainly not alone here! There are plenty of people in a similar situation to you, but you probably won't find them online smile.png

Edited by tails

100% correct.

I've lived in LOS on and off for years, but enjoy it less living there than when I visited on holiday.

To really enjoy retirement would take much more money than I have. I'd love to live on the beach, but can't afford that.

Hmm, maybe YOU should answer my language question as well! smile.png

I speak bar Thai, which is enough for my lifestyle. I don't work in LOS or have a great deal of interaction with Thais that don't speak English, nor do I want to.

But you're not living here.

I agree with the sentiment, if living in a country at least try to speak the language. That is one of the things we all expect foreigners in our home countries to do, and one of the things we don't like about foreigners in our home countries if they don't.

On the contrary - councils and government departments issue document in dozens of language in the UK. Including the dole office. Wives of ' diverse ' groups have been in the UK for decades without learning English. It is only now becoming an issue as the realisation multiculturalism is a failure. English is the language of the world and relatively to learn -. Thai isn't.

I love it here. My Thai sucks, but I give it a try. If you focus on the negative - like so many here - you'll end up feeling down about the place. Lighten up, maybe stay away from the forums and news sites for a while, and enjoy what's around you, and you might see things differently.

I reluctantly agree with Soi ****er. The advice is good but contradicts his own negativity towards the Thai traders in Sukhumvit. Avoid forums like TV but there are some really good ones that celebrate life here and are well written. You are young enough to experiment ' BTW - Forget the Thai girlfriend idea- she's just a millstone on your back.

I love it here. My Thai sucks, but I give it a try. If you focus on the negative - like so many here - you'll end up feeling down about the place. Lighten up, maybe stay away from the forums and news sites for a while, and enjoy what's around you, and you might see things differently.

I reluctantly agree with Soi ****er. The advice is good but contradicts his own negativity towards the Thai traders in Sukhumvit. Avoid forums like TV but there are some really good ones that celebrate life here and are well written. You are young enough to experiment ' BTW - Forget the Thai girlfriend idea- she's just a millstone on your back.

And you did it with such grace.

Conversely if you do not have access to funds or an ability to earn it will be hard to see anything positive.

Conversely if you do not have access to funds or an ability to earn it will be hard to see anything positive.

That's pretty much true anywhere though.