Police and electrical engineers dead in Kabinburi U-Turn pile up

webfact

Police and electrical engineers dead in Kabinburi U-Turn pile up

crash.jpg

Image: Thairath

KABINBURI: -- Four people died in a pile up on the Kabinburi - Sa Kaew road Thursday when a careening ten wheeler plunged into a pick-up at a U-turn. A police forensics van then smashed into the debris.

The driver of the truck who initially fled the scene later told police that he suspected an axle failure for the accident reported Thairath.

A village headman who witnessed the smash said that three vehicles from the Kabinburi Electrical Authority were doing a U-Turn when the out of control truck smashed into one of them, a Toyota pick-up. Then an Isuzu pick up with a Prajinburi forensics team inside smashed into the debris dragging the electrical engineers along with it.

Police called by rescue workers found a scene of devastation with corpses of the officials strewn over the road, three forensics staff trapped in their vehicle, power poles flattened and lights and signage destroyed. The truck had stopped some fifty metres further down the road and the driver had fled. Shortly after he returned to give evidence.

The three forensics officers were cut out of their vehicle. Uaychai Narksomboon, 57, died on the way to hospital. Two colleagues a 31 year old female scientist and a 47 year old man are in intensive care in Kabinburi.

Three electrical engineers were dead at the scene. They were Sompong Marort, 38, Pathiphat Phokert and Surachet Chisangworn, 55.

Thanat Saeng-arun, 27, the driver of the Hino truck said he was on his way home to Sa Kaew from delivering eucalyptus wood to Ayuthaya. As he approached the scene of the accident he lost control of his vehicle that started to swerve violently. He told police he thought it was a problem with a broken axle.

Apart from the loss of life police said that 300,000 worth of damage had been done to power poles, signage and signals.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-27

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like police were more concerned about costs than the loss of life!

Driver fled then returned axel failure, change from brake failure.

Another tragic loss of life due to a drivers carelessness.

^ Everything in life has a related cost - sadly sad.png When the cost of a life exceeds what is required in safety terms to protect it, as it has in the west, only then will something be done!

The trucks that rule the highways are accidents waiting to happen, there seems to be more of them on the roads!!!

Let me see if I have this right.

A pickup was turning right.

A 10-wheel truck crashes into the pickup, killing one or more people.

A police pickup, presumably on it's way to the crash site, finds the crash site and crashes into it.

Did I get that right? I've got a headache now.

W

There are much safer options for u-turns.

In the diagram below (for USA where they drive on the right) the type B jug-handle adds minimal cost to road construction, filters traffic off from the slow lane instead of the fast lane (so any tailback in excess of the waiting lane capacity is also in the slow lane or in a filter lane or the hard shoulder) allows vehicles waiting to cross to wait in safety off the road, gives good visibility in both directions, and can be coupled with traffic lights with a heavy bias to the main highway to permit safe crossing on very busy roads.

The central crossing would need to be configured as shown (to make a direct turn from the fast lane impossible to prevent impatient drivers from trying to jump the queue) and could have waiting space for 1 or 2 cars and a filter lane to make joining the fast lane on the far side safer.

A huge number of road accidents on highways are connected with u-turns as the paint on the road around them indicates.

Another alternative is to start using what we call in the UK roundabouts. (wong kom in Thai I think) However this would necessitate a huge amount of training as the system is dependent on driver discipline so is bound to fail initially.

ga0205jughandlesgrjpg-f3eee9bce0e1d3df.j

RIP to the deceased , U-turns kils and should be banned . I am terrified every time I have to use one. I watch out for trucks and just hope for the best.

Just another day in THE most dangerous country to drive in in the WORLD,forget the bogus statistics that it is second or third,it is FIRST.

There are more dangerous places to drive than Thailand despite what statistics say

Just another day in THE most dangerous country to drive in in the WORLD,forget the bogus statistics that it is second or third,it is FIRST.

There are more dangerous places to drive than Thailand despite what statistics say

Yes there is Saudi Arabia but not many more and I have driven in many. This forum is about Thailand. I always wondered who designed the roads here and why? I have been given many answers and none of them are flattering.

A police pickup, presumably on it's way to the crash site, finds the crash site and crashes into it.

W

According to the other paper the truck driver rammed the back of a PEA 6 wheel truck ripping off part of the load bed and throwing the 3 guys into the road. The police pickup was coming the other way and crashed into the torn off load bed which was still moving. There are pictures there too showing the 3 vehicles if you are interested.

W

No U didn't, now go back and read it again, then repeat after me.cheesy.gif

Seeing as I wasn't there I can only guess , however any loss of life is a tragedy and this just points out the failure so far of any safety minded department of getting the message across , this needs to be done 24/7, not at opportunity knocks time like a long weekend special, school education needs a shot in the arm and show the students the misery these accidents do to loving families , perhaps if they start the education now it may hit home in 5 decades time......................................coffee1.gif .

Edited by chainarong

In the diagram below (for USA where they drive on the right) the type B jug-handle adds minimal cost to road construction, filters traffic off from the slow lane instead of the fast lane (so any tailback in excess of the waiting lane capacity is also in the slow lane or in a filter lane or the hard shoulder) allows vehicles waiting to cross to wait in safety off the road, gives good visibility in both directions, and can be coupled with traffic lights with a heavy bias to the main highway to permit safe crossing on very busy roads.

The central crossing would need to be configured as shown (to make a direct turn from the fast lane impossible to prevent impatient drivers from trying to jump the queue) and could have waiting space for 1 or 2 cars and a filter lane to make joining the fast lane on the far side safer.

A huge number of road accidents on highways are connected with u-turns as the paint on the road around them indicates.

Another alternative is to start using what we call in the UK roundabouts. (wong kom in Thai I think) However this would necessitate a huge amount of training as the system is dependent on driver discipline so is bound to fail initially.

I have seen some of the type B U turns in the south of Thailand, they're much safer. The 10 wheel trucks have a wider turning radius than the tractor trailers, the drivers do not stay in the turn lane as they approach the turn so they are, in effect, turning from the fast lane and using all the lanes on the other side. Drivers get impatient and proceed even as traffic approaches, using the tried and true method of intimidation. U turns on divided highways should be eliminated, but it would cost billions.

Yes there is Saudi Arabia but not many more and I have driven in many. This forum is about Thailand. I always wondered who designed the roads here and why? I have been given many answers and none of them are flattering.

I totally agree with you that is why I never mentioned any such as Saudi. When a statement like "Just another day in THE most dangerous country to drive in in the WORLD" is made you have to make the point that there are worse.

Edited by gandalf12

I have seen some of the type B U turns in the south of Thailand, they're much safer. The 10 wheel trucks have a wider turning radius than the tractor trailers, the drivers do not stay in the turn lane as they approach the turn so they are, in effect, turning from the fast lane and using all the lanes on the other side. Drivers get impatient and proceed even as traffic approaches, using the tried and true method of intimidation. U turns on divided highways should be eliminated, but it would cost billions.

The type B is not an expensive proposition, especially if it is combined with ongoing road works such as re-surfacing or road widening. It is far cheaper than the up and over concrete bridges they are building on many roads at the moment. And the economic cost of road accidents at Thailand's current rate is billions too so a sufficient reduction in the accident rate could even pay for itself. Police often shut off u-turns that prove problematic which then increases the amount of counter-current driving etc. It is surely worth some large scale trials at least.

You have not tried Cambodia... after my 12 years driving in Thailand: 0 accident, after 1.5 years driving in Cambodia I had 3 crashes... I've been driving at walking pace for the past 5 and still have scares.

The type B is not an expensive proposition, especially if it is combined with ongoing road works such as re-surfacing or road widening. It is far cheaper than the up and over concrete bridges they are building on many roads at the moment. And the economic cost of road accidents at Thailand's current rate is billions too so a sufficient reduction in the accident rate could even pay for itself. Police often shut off u-turns that prove problematic which then increases the amount of counter-current driving etc. It is surely worth some large scale trials at least.

Unfortunately with "B" you still end up with slow traffic in the outside/fast lane.

Most of these "cheapo" turnings are designed for turn-offs at some point and are hugely dependant of the speed and density of traffic. ...the USA has in fact a pretty poor set of road safety stats. For a country that has been dominated by the motorcar for a century they make dismal reading.

The Thai U-turn...in any form - is simply a way to cull road users....it's a classic example of how poor road engineering/design kills people. - nothing to do with careless drivers - they are a constant in all countries....i relive the figure is about 63% of all collisions and incidents.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Jughandles? jugheads more like, just make the turn when the road is clear, simple.

Nothing wrong with the roads, it's the gibbering nutmonkeys driving on them that's the problem.

it's a classic example of how poor road engineering/design kills people.

Yes, it's one of the aggravating factors.

Look at some of the lane markings and you can see a "design" that doesn't make any sense, even if one were to drive at slow speed. sad.png

RIP to the deceased , U-turns kils and should be banned . I am terrified every time I have to use one. I watch out for trucks and just hope for the best.

But Thais will make their own U turns, as they do already if official U turns are a few hundred meters down the road. Banning U turns will not stop the accidents...better driving skills will!

Sounds like police were more concerned about costs than the loss of life!

Driver fled then returned axel failure, change from brake failure.

Another tragic loss of life due to a drivers carelessness.

Ah, you got ahead of me, "AXIL FAILURE" this is a new one on a old Hino truck.

These and the Isuzu 10-wheelers are the trucks that started to replaced the buffalo carts some 60-years ago.

How many YaBa did he chew???

Jughandles? jugheads more like, just make the turn when the road is clear, simple.

Not simple enough for many drivers here!

Its not so much you making the turn, its the 18 wheeler that pushes out into fast moving traffic blocking all 3/4 lanes and relying totally on other drivers survival instincts to complete the manouvre. Or groups of tour buses nose to tail doing the same thing as cars screech to a halt and try to avoid hitting the one in front of them.

If you are always going to be sharing the roads with jugheads then safer to design jughead friendly roads.