XP_ user

gennisis

I.ve been using XP for 10 years.

All my Google sites on my computer tell me that XP is no longer supported.

So,perhaps I should change the operating system,although I do admit that at an age of 77 I am not looking forward to ANY CHANGES.

SO, what do you 'experts' suggest

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Windows 10 if your hardware and software support it. But if your machine is also 10 years old it "may not" support Win 10. Don't waste your time on Win 8. So, you are probably left with upgrading to Win 7 which is also now a legacy system except Microsoft will still provide critical updates until Jan 2020...at least you'll have an OS that gets basic support for another 3.5 years.

If you like the XP, and your computer is not new, I'd go with Windows 7. MS says it'll be supported for quite awhile longer. Also Windows 7 is pretty easy to adjust to for an XP user; was for me anyway.

If it works and you don't like change then just keep using it...they didn't build in a self destruct timer it won't just stop working

...ok yes there are a few ever growing amount of programs that refuse to run on XP

and yes there will be those who say its a security risk from not getting updated bla bla bla........

Use it till it stops then maybe look at something "newer"

If it works and you don't like change then just keep using it...they didn't build in a self destruct timer it won't just stop working

...ok yes there are a few ever growing amount of programs that refuse to run on XP

and yes there will be those who say its a security risk from not getting updated bla bla bla........

So having people using insecure operating systems and not updating is just bla bla bla?

For all you know he could be the one spewing out the spam and ransomware you try and protect yourself from.

Advice like this is simply cretinous.

Yea, XP users are tuning into easy pickings for malware, ramsonware, etc. Supposedly XP users are attached 6 times more that Win 7 users...guess it easier to break-in a XP system since its no longer getting full care and feeding from Microsoft.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2109144/avast-windows-xp-users-already-attacked-6-times-more-often-than-windows-7-users.html

post-55970-0-66955700-1464339692_thumb.j

So having people using insecure operating systems and not updating is just bla bla bla?

For all you know he could be the one spewing out the spam and ransomware you try and protect yourself from.

Yes sorry for being so controversial but I think this must update to latest OS is just (mostly) marketing spiel.

Every OS still has 0 day exploits

Some vendors patch quicker than others.

The only way to be 100% sure is never to connect to the net.

I was in the same boat as the OP. I thought I'd load Win 7 on my D: drive in a dual-boot system and try it out first.

Win 7 loaded fine, then promptly renamed my D: drive to C:, C: to D: and either removed XP or made it so I couldn't get at it!

So i was forced onto Win 7 straight away. I've had no problems, but I had to reload much of my software and one game I played

no longer works, even in compatibility mode. But there again I have been playing it since Windows 3.1

There's really very little difference between XP and 7, apart from it's nanny-like behaviour over admin rights

My advice is to go for it, Win 7 is fine.

Gennisis , I'm exactly in the same position , PC more than 10 years now on XP . ( but I'm not 77 biggrin.png )

You make a choice : XP or don't use some google sites.

Yes me too , I get the warning when I go to youtube , but you can still use it , just ignore the warning.

I hate google , so don't use it... just google maps when the others don't give enough detail.

Updating is not necessairy , whatever the propaganda says.

If you like XP , you can keep XP , no problem , just keep your antivirus & malware up to date.

A 10 year old computer probably can't handle win7 , many had smal & big problems years ago.

XP , still the best !

Yes sorry for being so controversial but I think this must update to latest OS is just (mostly) marketing spiel.

Every OS still has 0 day exploits

Some vendors patch quicker than others.

The only way to be 100% sure is never to connect to the net.

And the only way to avoid getting hit by a car is to stay in your apartment.

But that doesn't mean it's a good idea to cross the street without looking first.

Next time you're in Kasikorn Bank, take a look at their monitors and see what they're running...XP.

If they're not afraid of it, why should you be?

Microsoft is full of sh*t and always has been.

They used a hardened form of XP and may even still pay Microsoft for updates.

And they probably also have a selection of endpoint whitelisting and other protection, non-signature based anti-malware software and a whole heap of firewalls and IPS that the average consumer doesn't have in their house.

So it's a nonsensical comparison.

My advice : go for Win7 + Classic Shell (freeware) and you won't be too much disturbed in your habits.

I wouldn't advise Win10, of course it's more sexy and seemingly easier to use, but that's a massive change. Not something you might be looking forward to.

Staying with XP : if you're behind an ADSL router you're not facing the Big Bad Internet. Only your actions can be the keyhole that will allow malware to enter your computer: opening an unexpected e-mail attachment (even seemingly coming from someone you know), using IE to browse the 'net, visiting risky sites.

If you're doing none of this, if you're using Firefox and keep it updated (for the time being it still gets updated for XP), then one may consider keeping XP IMHO.

Just my 0.02 ‎฿

This is typed from an XP computer (let the attacks begin!).

Edited by Lannig

THANKS for all your sugestions....I'm staying with XP and putting up with the problems.

I have been using security from Trend. It gives me monthly reports....it said that I had been attacked hundreds of times and all attacks nulified. Thaivisa was a major item for malware attacks !!!

I do have one problem, its Google Earth. It disapeared from my computer and when I attempt to reinstall it ,it wont take.

So is there any other way of installing?

THANKS for all your sugestions....I'm staying with XP and putting up with the problems.

I have been using security from Trend. It gives me monthly reports....it said that I had been attacked hundreds of times and all attacks nulified. Thaivisa was a major item for malware attacks !!!

I do have one problem, its Google Earth. It disapeared from my computer and when I attempt to reinstall it ,it wont take.

Can you show us one of the Trend reports that shows hundreds of attacks? I'm going to guess they are not attacks but Trend's creative wording of maybe cookies removed, questionable websites flagged, etc.

But lets say you have been attacked hundreds of times, maybe that's because the bad guys are detecting XP on you computer and trying to break into it since no longer being maintained by Microsoft.

Hundreds of times attacked ? It's just your firewall getting probed . Do you use torrents ? Firewalls block incoming some UDP's as attacks. Thaivisa is clean , well for malware not its posters...

The newest editions of google earth won't install on XP. Find an older version. Can't give you the number that still works because after my reinstall ( bigger HDD) , I didn't want anything of google spy on my clean machine.

Win XP is not supported any longer by Microsoft but let me ask you a question. How many times have you required support from Microsoft for Win XP? My guess is never. If I am right why upgrade at all? Win XP is stable and you can still get the patches that were issued before they stopped supporting the system.

Win XP is not really insecure. Hackers are not paying it much attention now that most people have Win 7,8, 8.1 or 10. They want status for hacking in many cases and Win XP has lost hacking status.

As for being cretinous it isnt in the least. Yes you have to be careful about ransomware and viruses but you do with any system and systems that are widely used are the most targeted. I assume you like the latest systems and probably visit dubious sites which would account for your response. The OP if he sticks to known safe sites and doesnt open emails from unknown persons is very safe.

Win XP is not supported any longer by Microsoft but let me ask you a question. How many times have you required support from Microsoft for Win XP? My guess is never. If I am right why upgrade at all? Win XP is stable and you can still get the patches that were issued before they stopped supporting the system.

Sure, I expect most people have never asked MS for support for XP, Win 7, Win 10, etc.,...that is, talking to MS on the phone, chatting with them online, letting them take control of your computer to fix an issue, etc. And that is because Windows is basically a stable OS.

But the critical support MS provides to "everyone" using Windows is updates/patches....those things that can download automatically to keep the OS running smooth and eliminate security problems. Those updates/patches you see coming out approx "every two weeks or so" (well, not for XP anymore)...or even more often if a critical update is pushed out immediately to fix a serious security problem just found.

MS ended updates/patches for XP in Apr 14, over two years ago which means not one update/patch has occurred since then...updates/patches that use to occur approx every two weeks. Basically when using XP you are using an OS that hasn't been updated for two years. Sure it may run stable...but just because a system appears to run stable does not mean it's safe from malware and other problems.

Maybe consider the updates like replacing the lock on the door because the bad guys found a way to get around your old lock...found out the combination of your old lock.

Sure, I expect most people have never asked MS for support for XP, Win 7, Win 10, etc.,...that is, talking to MS on the phone, chatting with them online, letting them take control of your computer to fix an issue, etc. And that is because Windows is basically a stable OS.

But the critical support MS provides to "everyone" using Windows is updates/patches....those things that can download automatically to keep the OS running smooth and eliminate security problems. Those updates/patches you see coming out approx "every two weeks or so" (well, not for XP anymore)...or even more often if a critical update is pushed out immediately to fix a serious security problem just found.

MS ended updates/patches for XP in Apr 14, over two years ago which means not one update/patch has occurred since then...updates/patches that use to occur approx every two weeks. Basically when using XP you are using an OS that hasn't been updated for two years. Sure it may run stable...but just because a system appears to run stable does not mean it's safe from malware and other problems.

Maybe consider the updates like replacing the lock on the door because the bad guys found a way to get around your old lock...found out the combination of your old lock.

I haven't updated since 2010-2011 ,that's nearly 6 years with no problems. Never needed the redmond softies for support. What do you guys do with your computer to attract malware ?

Just minor ransomware when I was in europe never here in Thailand.

XP is certainly not unsafer than the newer versions and it wil only get better with less and less people using it.