Grease traps, are they even necessary?

I must admit the logic in grease traps eludes me, disgusting things that appear to trap minimal amounts of grease eventually turning them into sizable chunks that cause a problem.

I am constantly amazed at the inability to deal with water, sewage and gas here.

Had a lot of issues with the drainage at the house (new build) until I removed all the small pipe from sink etc and replaced it with a usable size for a kitchen sink.

Had to install traps on all of the drains to stop sewer smells coming back into the house, seriously; how are Thai's never bothered by heinous smells?

Thinking of completely removing the large grease trap buried outside my house as I removed the 'trap' part 6 weeks ago and zero issues to date, everything draining faster as well.

i thought they were only required for restaurants or where there is a high grease output.

Any plumbers with experience of this?

Steiner

I completed my house almost 3 years ago, did all the plumbing myself and did install a grease trap, as all waste water, black and grey, goes to the septic system.

The trap really only catches soap from bathrooms and kitchen......I clean it out twice a year, it's a blackish sludge which would likely float in the tank and may disturb the bacteria

Probably not all that necessary nowadays, as we all use minimal oils and fats.....while our mums used heaps of lard.

Also, I don't think Thais do actually notice bad smells......as well as barking dogs, noisy motor bikes and garbage everywhere!

Edited by ChrisY1

Steiner

I completed my house almost 3 years ago, did all the plumbing myself and did install a grease trap, as all waste water, black and grey, goes to the septic system.

The trap really only catches soap from bathrooms and kitchen......I clean it out twice a year, it's a blackish sludge which would likely float in the tank and may disturb the bacteria

Probably not all that necessary nowadays, as we all use minimal oils and fats.....while our mums used heaps of lard.

Also, I don't think Thais do actually notice bad smells......as well as barking dogs, noisy motor bikes and garbage everywhere!

I live in Bkk so no septic tank.

I spoke to 2 mates who are plumbers yesterday, one in the UK and one in the states, they both agreed that a grease trap was completely unnecessary and had only seen them fitted in restaurants where the grease load was heavy.

Completely amazed at the poor design in every Thai house: drainage was so poor, waste pipes too narrow, smells and this grease trap issue, blocking the inlet from the kitchen relatively quickly even though I oven cook or barbecue and fry very little.

Barely a square bend in the house, appears to be no DPC, no drain outside the house, people pour water in the street but paid 7 mill for the houses!?!

A kitchen that came with 2 power points (I know a Thai kitchen is wok and rice cooker but still), it has 10 now.

Construction and design is so poor from top to bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

On a related issue, the drain pipe from my kitchen sink would often get blocked and there was a bad smell rising out from the plughole. The drain pipe went straight down from the sink to outside. I fitted a U bend under the sink and have not had a problem since. I knew U bends stop the smell, but the U also seems to help the waste to soften or decompose (it sits in the water trapped in the U) as the pipe has never blocked since.

On a related issue, the drain pipe from my kitchen sink would often get blocked and there was a bad smell rising out from the plughole. The drain pipe went straight down from the sink to outside. I fitted a U bend under the sink and have not had a problem since. I knew U bends stop the smell, but the U also seems to help the waste to soften or decompose (it sits in the water trapped in the U) as the pipe has never blocked since.

What sort of waste are you putting down your kitchen sink?

What sort of waste are you putting down your kitchen sink?
Just the normal stuff that is washed off plates/pans I think, but I suspect more than that when I'm not around. The point is that U Bends are not always fitted here and so if anyone is getting smells or blockages it might be worth installing one.