SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- the hot season that seems to get longer and more unbearable with each passing year

- the noise and the pollution (unless you live in Baan Nowhere, and even so sometimes)

- the total lack of social safety net if you work here. Don't get sick, don't have an accident, don't loose your job.

- the lack of affordable and good quality healthcare (it's either)

- the real possibility for Thailand to fall into Yugoslavia-style complete and utter chaos in the next years

All the rest is wonderful gigglem.gif

re

In your opinion, what is the greatest draw-back to living in Thailand?

hearing in almost any bar in thailand

what your name

where you come from

how long you stay

where your hotel

you buy me drink

dave2

post-42592-0-81413700-1464450375_thumb.j

Lannig

-the lack of affordable and good quality healthcare (it's either)

What country did you come from before you became an expat?

Edited by turk56

For me there are no "drawbacks" and I believe this to be a "troll" topic which will, of course, attract "low class farang" comment.

Having to fill in endless questionaires which ultimaltely make no difference to my stay here.

This is a prime example.

Signed, low class falang.

The biggest disappointment of this beautiful country was its massive attendance by expatriates of the lowest class.

Reason I bless this forum to stay informed without duress to meet in live.

This review is for expatriates. Joyful visitors I met when I lived in Pattaya were infinitely more interesting in my opinion.

I don't worry too much abut imports. They sell the genuine Italian Grana Padano cheese at Makro for about the same price it would be in US and, even though BUPA is a UK product, you can buy the domesticated BUPA-Thailand version here.

The heat.

Just about all the other inconveniences are a matter of my personal choices. Some of them are tough to avoid, but can be worked around.

But it's just too fricking hot to enjoy the outdoor activities that I love.

I find the choice of the poll options strange.

1) The high accident rate, including cars, motorbikes, boats and those due to lax safety standards.

I'm careful when driving and I dont drive much so this isnt much of an issue. If I rode a motorbike here it would be a different matter and I would be in constant fear of death or mutilation.

2) The inability to easily own property and regulations around land ownership

I had no trouble buying and owning my condo which is all I aspire to. A house would just be extra work and a security problem for me.

3) Gov't regulations that make it inconvenient, such as visas, 90 day reporting, work permits, etc.

I think that Thai retirement extensions are very easy and very cheap. They compare extremely well with most other countries (apart from country groups with special arrangements like the EU for example). The 90-day reporting is a minor (and totally pointless) nuisance.

For me there are no "drawbacks" and I believe this to be a "troll" topic which will, of course, attract "low class farang" comment.

Not being a low class farang I couldn't possibly answer the question....

Anyway most of my time today will be spent in Tesco as I have to buy new flip-flops--or some sandals with black socks, Singlet (wife basher) and shorts----I have a wedding to go to this week,

Their friends of my wife's brother---he has been living with us for years...........Gosh I really am surprised at how much I had to put in the envelope so my wife can hand it to her latter.................coffee1.gif

Not like anything here in Thailand-----what's not to like

Edited by oxo1947

I find the choice of the poll options strange.

1) The high accident rate, including cars, motorbikes, boats and those due to lax safety standards.

I'm careful when driving and I dont drive much so this isnt much of an issue. If I rode a motorbike here it would be a different matter and I would be in constant fear of death or mutilation.

2) The inability to easily own property and regulations around land ownership

I had no trouble buying and owning my condo which is all I aspire to. A house would just be extra work and a security problem for me.

3) Gov't regulations that make it inconvenient, such as visas, 90 day reporting, work permits, etc.

I think that Thai retirement extensions are very easy and very cheap. They compare extremely well with most other countries (apart from country groups with special arrangements like the EU for example). The 90-day reporting is a minor (and totally pointless) nuisance.

Agree, I kinda feel this way too about these points to be honest, I was just being a, errr, 'NumbNut' in the first post.

And yeah, the heat is an issue, that's true, but that's why they invented beer eh. Keep your fluids up my furry forum friends!

Edited by NumbNut

The sheer dishonesty of the Thai system and it's people.

The system, sure, but the people? Bit tough there ianf. I've met some fleas here, sure, but I've met some top folks too.

And I'm just talking bout the expats mate!

Edited by NumbNut

I love it here but add the following to the thread:

- Healthcare in the private sector might be affordable if based on nature of injury instead of ethnicity of patient.

- Data probs would be substantially reduced if Govt Dept's went didgetal and remained within their own jurisdiction. What have Bank account numbers or car details already held by Thai DVLA have to do with immigration?

- Lack of transparency in the justice system and the general failure re culpability or acceptance of responsibility when things go wrong.

- Sending miscreants to the Ministry of inactive posts instead of firing-jailing-defrocking regardless of wealth/status as per anywhere else.

There are many decent caring people here. I'd like to see more among those wearing any form of uniform.

I hope this is seen as constructive as I have no axe to grind.

Edited by evadgib