SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I can only pick one I picked 'other', but communication barrier (that includes different thinking, not just knowledge of words), and also anything visa related. I guess I should throw in road issues (driving style and pot holes).

And....my pet peeve - being considered cheap charlie if I don't dispense cash for everything and everyone, but when the money is exhausted I would realise my true value. The one with the most money pays, but that doesn't change when you're no longer that person and have to be truly broke, so I've always been careful to never have too much in this country, and keep my main stash elsewhere - not that it's that exciting to many. A house and a couple of cars without using a bank and I'd be down to having to roll up my sleeves and get creative (how can I earn more if I can't have a work permit for my skill set?). Result is my efforts go elsewhere and not as much into the Thai economy. It's not like I'm trying to build houses or run a market stall 'stealing Thai jobs'.

Things like not being able to own property I consider a plus. I compare my monthly rental to buying a place, and it makes more sense and gives me a defence "why would I buy something I can't own?".

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many drawbacks but I'll comment from the POV of my specific situation which I think also applies to many people here on annual retirement extension status.

To me, the most prominent drawback is the lack of any path to more permanent residence status for those on retirement extensions.

First day and after 30 years ... the same residence insecurity.

It's hard to consider a place "home" that treats you that way.

I do not want to be rude, but if you really wanted to have a better residence situation in Thailand you should have been reading the rules and regulations.

Now I am not exactly sure about the years, but in general it is like this.

Have the same visa in 5 years, and you can apply for a Thai residency status. Which will not give you much more freedom, but it´s a step on the way.

After 10 years residency, you can apply for a Thai citizenship. That will give you the same rules and staus as a Thai person.

Here we just cut of 15 years from your 30.

3- The inability to own land? I have no problem with this as Thailand is small & Thai population is high given size of coutry . Couple that with their low income & I am sure it would be paradise lost for them if foreigners were able to buy land here. They would quickly be priced out of the market & farming etc would be reduced greatly So no problem there also...Leave Thai_land to the Thai's....Yes I know many are married & support Thai so am I but I still hold the opinion of paradise lost should it ever go on sale to highest bidders of all nationalities.

clap2.gif

Foreigners whinging about the fact they can't buy land are often those who believe that their wealth should entitle them to a leg up or a head start over the locals.

Their logic has it that, since a Thai can turn up in their country and buy up a chunk of land, they should be able to do the same.

Not a moment to acknowledge that the number of Thais who could realistically afford to turn up in the UK, Europe etc and buy an acre of land is far dwarfed by the number of foreigners who could afford to do the same in Thailand if they were allowed to.

I accept that the policy inadvertently serves to reinforce the wealth gap between rich and poor Thais but that existed long before fat foreign whales in Chang wifebeaters and sandals showed up.

Poor Thais don't need the carrot moved even further away from their noses.

There are many drawbacks but I'll comment from the POV of my specific situation which I think also applies to many people here on annual retirement extension status.

To me, the most prominent drawback is the lack of any path to more permanent residence status for those on retirement extensions.

Well, you knew that coming in, didn't you? And you still call it "home", don't you?

There is a process by which you can obtain PR and there's even one by which you can attain citizenship.

Laborious, difficult processes?

Yes, but they're there all the same

Why should the Thai government try to make you feel "secure"?

They're having a hard enough time of it making their own citizens feel that way

Well, you knew that coming in, didn't you? And you still call it "home", don't you?

There is a process by which you can obtain PR and there's even one by which you can attain citizenship.

No actually I did not know it when I came to Thailand, but the one that stays will pick up a little bit here and there you know.

Now I am up to 16 years in this beautiful country, but I do not have a Thai citizenship yet.

Sure it´s a difficult procedure. I am sure it doesn´t seem easy for anyone that comes to our countries either.

Please stop spreading blatant lies.post-4641-1156694606.gif

No, there is NO process to obtain PR for people who move here starting with retirement extensions.

Yes, I knew that coming in.

No, I didn't know how that would feel being here over 10 years with NO PATH towards higher residence status.

I provide that as a WARNING to others who are considering retirement in Thailand.

I feel people living without residence security here that feel secure with Thailand as "home" as rather delusional.

But I see you aren't interested in my comment but just want to defend the Thai policies ... Thai-ier than though style. They don't need foreigners to defend them.

This is an EXPAT forum so naturally the focus is on the experience of expats ... as well this TOPIC is obviously directed at expats, not Thai nationals.

But perhaps I am wrong in assuming you're a foreigner ...

More on topic, to add, yes, there are other nations that aren't models of political stability that DO offer paths towards more secure residence status to retired expats. Some may not see this as a priority. I suggest those considering moving here for retirement should strongly consider that MAYBE they SHOULD consider it as a higher priority. It may be indicative of a wider issue with Thailand ... rather severe XENOPHOBIA, that rears it's UGLY head in many other aspects of living in Thailand for foreigners (some indicated in the poll choices).

Edited by Jingthing

No, there is NO process to obtain PR for people who move here starting with retirement extensions.

No, I didn't know how that would feel being here over 10 years with NO PATH towards higher residence status.

I provide that as a WARNING to others who are considering retirement in Thailand.

I feel people living without residence security here that feel secure with Thailand as "home" as rather delusional.

But I see you aren't interested in my comment but just want to defend the Thai policies ... Thai-ier than though style. They don't need foreigners to defend them.

This is an EXPAT forum so naturally the focus is on the experience of expats ... as well this TOPIC is obviously directed at expats, not Thai nationals.

More on topic, to add, yes, there are other nations that aren't models of political stability that DO offer paths towards more secure residence status to retired expats. Some may not see this as a priority. I suggest those considering moving here for retirement should strongly consider that MAYBE they SHOULD consider it as a higher priority. It may be indicative of a wider issue with Thailand ... rather severe XENOPHOBIA, that rears it's UGLY head in many other aspects of living in Thailand for foreigners (some indicated in the poll choices).

I would then like you to explain this text I just copied from a Thai Immigration document.

"An applicant’s qualifications A foreign national may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she 1.1 holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand on the basis of one year visa extension for the total of at least 3 consecutive years up to the application submission date. 1.2 has personal qualifications that fit one of the following categories: (1) Investment category (2) Working/Business category (3) Humanity Reasons category: he/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possessed residence permit as the followings: 1) A legal husband or wife. 2) A legal father or mother. 3) A child who is under 20 years of age up to the application submission date and must be single. (4) Expert category (5) Extra circumstances on a case by case basis"

If there is no way, why would there be information about it? How ever they might be wrong, and you right?

That's just your opinion.

Expats on retirement visas/extensions have lived (and died) here for decades and felt secure enough to call Thailand home without P.R.

They met the criteria and were granted extensions one after the other.

You're here on a retirement visa, you pay no taxes and therefore, as far as the government is concerned, you're not making a contribution to the country's economy in a way that they care to quantify.

I would then like you to explain this text I just copied from a Thai Immigration document.

"An applicant’s qualifications A foreign national may qualify to apply for a residence permit if he/she 1.1 holds a passport of his/her current nationality, which was granted a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand on the basis of one year visa extension for the total of at least 3 consecutive years up to the application submission date. 1.2 has personal qualifications that fit one of the following categories: (1) Investment category (2) Working/Business category (3) Humanity Reasons category: he/she must have relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already possessed residence permit as the followings: 1) A legal husband or wife. 2) A legal father or mother. 3) A child who is under 20 years of age up to the application submission date and must be single. (4) Expert category (5) Extra circumstances on a case by case basis"

If there is no way, why would there be information about it? How ever they might be wrong, and you right?

Duh! Are you joking? Do you see many years of continuous retirement extensions on that list? No, you didn't. Again, stop with the lies. People moving here starting with retirement extensions have NO PATH based on the retirement extensions. PERIOD. End of story.

That's just your opinion.

Expats on retirement visas/extensions have lived (and died) here for decades and felt secure enough to call Thailand home without P.R.

They met the criteria and were granted extensions one after the other.

You're here on a retirement visa, you pay no taxes and therefore, as far as the government is concerned, you're not making a contribution to the country's economy in a way that they care to quantify.

Yes, of course. I'm suggesting you don't know how they actually FELT about no path towards residence security. Dude, nobody has said it isn't possible to live here for life based on annual retirement extensions. Of course it is. That is NOT what I was talking about and you know it.

Nobody has said Thailand or any other nation doesn't have the right to set such policies. I am saying prospective retirees, consider moving elsewhere that DOES potentially honor your long stay with higher status because it may be more important to you than you can ever imagine before you experience it.

The expat and tourism explosion. Has become the epitome of a Tourist Trap. Lost it's Old Asia Charm

Yeah

I preferred the days when they were all happy to earn a dollar a day, live on rice husks and throw a party every time a farang left a 50 baht tip knowing they could perhaps afford a slice of pork with their meal for the next week

It was great feeling like the great white adventurer

For those of us with medical,business or banking connections at our original homes ,it would be the frustrations of communications with people over the telephone other then being able to see a person in their office.

The expat and tourism explosion. Has become the epitome of a Tourist Trap. Lost it's Old Asia Charm

Yeah

I preferred the days when they were all happy to earn a dollar a day, live on rice husks and throw a party every time a farang left a 50 baht tip knowing they could perhaps afford a slice of pork with their meal for the next week

It was great feeling like the great white adventurer

At first I thought I detected a hint of sarcasm, but now am thinking you're just damn good at reading betwixt the lines!

I voted "other" and could not find the "comments" area that I was instructed to go to, and therefore explain my choice here. The biggest by far complaint that I find here is that there is absolutely no justice in this country. The rich and the sons of policemen and politicians can ride roughshod over the rest of the population with no fear of retribution. A country devoid of a healthy system of justice is a country that is going to go down the tubes while others around them flourish.

I voted "other" and could not find the "comments" area that I was instructed to go to, and therefore explain my choice here. The biggest by far complaint that I find here is that there is absolutely no justice in this country. The rich and the sons of policemen and politicians can ride roughshod over the rest of the population with no fear of retribution. A country devoid of a healthy system of justice is a country that is going to go down the tubes while others around them flourish.

You stumbled on the correct"comments" area!

You know It is likely this thread will be closed soon but what the heck,

Sometime back I felt the same way Jingthing. Then I looked at the US. It was bad enough they let everyone in but soon came the wealthy Chinese buying up blocks of businesses and neighborhoods. Then came the "Chinese" only communities with all the signs in Cantonese or Mandarin. Then came the Mexicans the Vietnamese and the Filipinos. The Sikh's all of sudden got special rights to build outrageous temples on the sides of beautiful mountains. They used the "religion" loophole crap. Now they all have special interest groups and dirty money and yes they are now in powerful political positions biased to their own country and their countrymen and women. Thailand in many ways is smart not to open up the doors. As soon as they do and offer citizenship then comes exactly what happened in the US. The wealthy Americans would buy up every single piece of beach front property and open up every stinking fast food chain along every shore or road. Soon they would demand rights to be in politics. Imagine that for a moment. Ohhhh the scandals that await them along Walking Street in Pattaya

So while yes it can be a pain in the ass, look at what Riff Raff comes to Thailand representing the US and other foreign countries. The Majority are drunkards, drug addicts, pedophiles, perverts, porn film makers etc. Not exactly a "Model" to try and make an impression to get some change in their system. I took on the approach that Thailand is my "Home" away from home. I can leave it at anytime should the situation demand it. My Thai wife is a US citizen and would exit with me.

So I do not see that not having "Higher status" here as a drawback, I see it in many ways a descent control system. Let me be clear though, I am in no way saying Thailand is Awesome or better, just what it is.

drawback to living in Thailand?

No service except self service.

Geez, coming from a country of pump your own gas - I find nothing but good service here - and they seem to pride themselves in providing it... then again, I rarely go ino tourist areas so not sure what you are seeing nor where you might be from...

1. Dishonesty

2. Corruption

3. Discrimination

4. Foreigners who think "farang" has no negative connotation

5. Foreigners who think I only have the right to criticise my country of birth and nowhere else.

6. Foreigners who live here but think they're guests

7. Foreigners who tell you if you don't like something go back you country

Life is about a balance between good and bad. Nowhere is entirely one or the other. Life here for me is still firmly on the good side. If the balance shifts I'll take their advice and leave

There is nothing permanent about visas, elite memberships, extensions or permanent residency in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter).

The only way to guarantee right of abode is to be a national of the country in question.

Does this bother me in Thailand? Not really, as I consider it a daily reminder never to over-invest myself here. If I had PR or some decades-long visa I might be inclined to think that Thais and Thailand actually likes me or wants me (and not just my money), which would be very silly indeed.

drawback to living in Thailand?

No service except self service.

Geez, coming from a country of pump your own gas - I find nothing but good service here - and they seem to pride themselves in providing it... then again, I rarely go ino tourist areas so not sure what you are seeing nor where you might be from...

There must be something very special about you if you've never experienced bad service. Alternatively maybe you're just not very aware.