SURVEY: What is the greatest drawback to living in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: What is the biggest drawback to living in Thailand?  

422 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are many drawbacks but I'll comment from the POV of my specific situation which I think also applies to many people here on annual retirement extension status.

To me, the most prominent drawback is the lack of any path to more permanent residence status for those on retirement extensions.

First day and after 30 years ... the same residence insecurity.

It's hard to consider a place "home" that treats you that way.

There is nothing permanent about visas, elite memberships, extensions or permanent residency in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter).

The only way to guarantee right of abode is to be a national of the country in question.

Does this bother me in Thailand? Not really, as I consider it a daily reminder never to over-invest myself here. If I had PR or some decades-long visa I might be inclined to think that Thais and Thailand actually likes me or wants me (and not just my money), which would be very silly indeed.

I understand. You have been wiser than me about over investing.

Again, a WARNING to others, if you're coming like that, be more careful about making sure it's less painful to EXIT if you need to or want to.

Cheers.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many drawbacks but I'll comment from the POV of my specific situation which I think also applies to many people here on annual retirement extension status.

To me, the most prominent drawback is the lack of any path to more permanent residence status for those on retirement extensions.

There is nothing permanent about visas, elite memberships, extensions or permanent residency in Thailand (or anywhere else for that matter).

The only way to guarantee right of abode is to be a national of the country in question.

Does this bother me in Thailand? Not really, as I consider it a daily reminder never to over-invest myself here. If I had PR or some decades-long visa I might be inclined to think that Thais and Thailand actually likes me or wants me (and not just my money), which would be very silly indeed.

Again, a WARNING to others, if you're coming like that, be more careful about making sure it's less painful to EXIT if you need to or want to.

Cheers.

Okey! Now things are much clearer. I thought you must be angry about something. You must have been living in a dream. Exactly same like when it comes to the PR.

Thumbs up, Dude!

Edited by Carson2311

I voted for:

bullet_star_rated.png Gov't regulations that make it inconvenient, such as visas, 90 day reporting, work permits, etc.

But it is really not much of an drawback for me.

​Since I have retired, it is one of very few things that I must do and probably the only reason I keep an eye on the calendar at all any more.

Actually, it is probably good for me to have this responsibility.

I am not complaining about it.

Over all, I don't see any serious drawbacks to my life in Thailand since I have retired.

Life is good.

Very good.

Edited by willyumiii

Here is my list:

1- Bad food, and lack of understanding of clean between the Thai staff. I have no confidence in any restaurant that I would receive a clean meal, plates and cups. I often ate at this very respectful Lebanese restaurant in Silom Bangkok, nice food and not cheap at all, but on my last visit the waiter brought my drink with a small cock roach in my cup. It was a complete turn off and was my last visit, never again.

2- Traffic, I see horrible bad manners from all people in particular Thai, whether they are on foot, motorcycle or a car. No understanding of simple rules, do not run over pedestrians and do not take too much risk with your life.

3- Young educated people do not speak English at all, not even few words. The local media dub all movies into the local Thai language, how is the new generation suppose to learn English.

4- Government regulations and restrictions

@ KittenKong. This is another odd comment that perplexes me. Why are foreigners here so worried about whether this, or any country, likes you or not? I have read that numerous times in many threads. Did you think your home country liked you?. Was it something you worried about there and left hoping another country would? How did the country show you they liked you? As for money. Money rules every country. They all want money why would anyone think differently?

I find it really interesting what people fixate on and make it a breaking point. Maybe I see it differently because I work and do not have too much time on my hands to wonder if a country likes me (I never wondered about that in the US either). I go about my day, I make money, I go buy things contributing to the system (no different then the states or anywhere else). I pay taxes, I have friends and go off and do things. My wife and I go to the movies and buy popcorn which pays for the attendants and the movie lease. This is just living life, its the economic circle

@ KittenKong. This is another odd comment that perplexes me. Why are foreigners here so worried about whether this, or any country, likes you or not? I have read that numerous times in many threads. Did you think your home country liked you?. Was it something you worried about there and left hoping another country would? How did the country show you they liked you? As for money. Money rules every country. They all want money why would anyone think differently?

I find it really interesting what people fixate on and make it a breaking point. Maybe I see it differently because I work and do not have too much time on my hands to wonder if a country likes me (I never wondered about that in the US either). I go about my day, I make money, I go buy things contributing to the system (no different then the states or anywhere else). I pay taxes, I have friends and go off and do things. My wife and I go to the movies and buy popcorn which pays for the attendants and the movie lease. This is just living life, its the economic circle

Yep

Always with the "the Thais only want our money, the don't give a stuff about us" as if they have so much more to offer.

It's like, "They could learn soooo much from me if they only took the time to get to know ME"

I've worked in the country for many years, so the visa and work permit issues are taken care of by my employer, but there are a couple of things that do bother me. They put the wrong month on my Driver's License and when I went in to renew it (5 year license), they said 'no' come back when the month listed on the DL was due. I did that but was told that I should have done it on my birthday! I now have to start the whole process over....and as I understand it, the exam isn't easy. It's the capricious nature of how they enforce rules that is confusing.

The single biggest draw-back that I see is the horrific accident rate. I do a fair amount of traveling through several provinces on a weekly basis and I see such carnage on the road. It's absolutely frightening.

On a day-to-day basis though, life is reasonably good.

I voted for:

bullet_star_rated.png Gov't regulations that make it inconvenient, such as visas, 90 day reporting, work permits, etc.

But it is really not much of an drawback for me.

​Since I have retired, it is one of very few things that I must do and probably the only reason I keep an eye on the calendar at all any more.

Actually, it is probably good for me to have this responsibility.

I am not complaining about it.

Over all, I don't see any serious drawbacks to my life in Thailand since I have retired.

Life is good.

Very good.

It´s always nice to hear from somebody that is satisfied. After everything is said and done, that´s just why most of us stay here.

Cheers,

I've worked in the country for many years, so the visa and work permit issues are taken care of by my employer, but there are a couple of things that do bother me. They put the wrong month on my Driver's License and when I went in to renew it (5 year license), they said 'no' come back when the month listed on the DL was due. I did that but was told that I should have done it on my birthday! I now have to start the whole process over....and as I understand it, the exam isn't easy. It's the capricious nature of how they enforce rules that is confusing.

The single biggest draw-back that I see is the horrific accident rate. I do a fair amount of traveling through several provinces on a weekly basis and I see such carnage on the road. It's absolutely frightening.

Hi Scott! I understand what you are saying. Some things can just not be explained.

Anyway I am happy to hear that you are enojoying your stay, because i do not want to think that you choosed to come here just because of the many work opportunities and the high salury.

Cheers.

Okey! Now things are much clearer. I thought you must be angry about something. You must have been living in a dream. Exactly same like when it comes to the PR.

Thumbs up, Dude!

Not a dream. I knew coming in that there was no path towards permanent residence based on retirement. I did not know nor could anyone know how that would make me feel later. Personally I could never feel truly home in any nation where my residence security was permanently temporary. Not saying everyone would feel that way but I'm pretty sure some do. So it's a warning.

Also yes it makes me angry to read posts suggesting there is a PR path based on retirement extensions. There definitely is not.

I know that one...I recently sold my truck to a Thai man. He was getting financing thru a bank...Same bank that I have 3 accounts with.

All three at different branches. All three have the same exact name in the passbooks. My first & last name as shown

on truck blue book, registration,insurance etc.

Well the loan officer did not like that & said my passbook has to have the same whole name as my passport....

first-middle-last or she cannot transfer the payment to my account (again same bank)

I smiled & said you realize these three banks are your bank & all three made the books this way not by request but just this is how they do it?

She insisted I had to go to one & request a name change. When I asked why she said because it could be someone trying to

get the money who is not really me??? Heheheh what can you say to that right? Here I am blue book for truck, Full insurance, registration &

bank books all in same name but noooooo she needs it her way or no way....Even though it is me with full ID giving her this book to trans to.

All you can do is smile or it will make you crazy. Because you know these things never back-up wink.png

Also what you say about carnage...I am a great bike rider but I do not really relish the thought of the next two months

before we leave being all bike. smile.png Going to be extra vigilant

re

In your opinion, what is the greatest draw-back to living in Thailand?

hearing in almost any bar in thailand

what your name

where you come from

how long you stay

where your hotel

you buy me drink

dave2

Errrrrr...... That only happens in girly bars, dude.

Just covert from sexpat to expat and you can avoid it.

re

In your opinion, what is the greatest draw-back to living in Thailand?

hearing in almost any bar in thailand

what your name

where you come from

how long you stay

where your hotel

you buy me drink

dave2

Errrrrr...... That only happens in girly bars, dude.

Just covert from sexpat to expat and you can avoid it.

Super comment! I love you already. Where do you come from? ¤lol¤

1. I don't live in a big city so no accidents to speak of around my place.

My ex wives got all my property in the West so I don't mind not owning any here in fact it saves me money in the long run.

Government regulations in the USA where a lot more bother than here where I spend about one hour a year dealing with the government.

If I found any drawbacks to living here I'd move.

You seem to have misunderstood my point. I couldn't give a flying XXXX whether Thais like me or not. I know perfectly well that they dont and are only after my money. They make this patently obvious every day. That doesnt bother me either. What I was trying to point out is the lack of any real long-term residency option just goes to prove this (if it needed proving). Many other things like dual pricing (especially official dual pricing) also demonstrate this. As to whether other people think they are liked here, or care about whether they are liked here, I have no idea. If they do think that or care about it then they are daft.

How was I treated at home and in EU countries I have lived in? I was accepted as being a permanent resident and entitled to live there and entitled to work there and entitled to buy property there, all without asking anyone's permission or having to get any special paperwork. I wasn't looked on as some walking pale-faced ATM that needs to be overcharged or otherwise stolen from. That is the big difference between there and here as far as I can see.

For those that feel they have no sense of entitlement here; i hope they haven't totally burned any bridges back to their birth country where they can still claim all that they are entitled to. Spare a thought for the genuine refugee who isn't entitled to anything on either side of the bridge.

Back on topic. As I see it, the greatest drawback isn't listed. It's a non-debatable matter anyway.

Edited by NanLaew

In addition to most of the obvious drawbacks already mentioned, my list would include:

1) The value system in which absolutely everything (even the decision to bring children into the world) is motivated by a quest for social status and money is the only basis for respect.

2) The notion of "face," and the stunted personal development and general societal dysfunction it engenders in every arena.

3) The language barrier, which exists even at the highest levels of government (even in those minisries whose sole function is to serve foreigners.)

4) The almost complete lack of intellectual curiosity.

5) The lack of respect for life - whether for one's own life or the lives of others, as evidenced every single day on the roads and highways.

In addition to most of the obvious drawbacks already mentioned, my list would include:

1) The value system in which absolutely everything (even the decision to bring children into the world) is motivated by a quest for social status and money is the only basis for respect.

2) The notion of "face," and the stunted personal development and general societal dysfunction it engenders in every arena.

3) The language barrier, which exists even at the highest levels of government (even in those minisries whose sole function is to serve foreigners.)

4) The almost complete lack of intellectual curiosity.

5) The lack of respect for life - whether for one's own life or the lives of others, as evidenced every single day on the roads and highways.

6) pack mentality if a thai, or thais, are against you, or at something they perceived you said or did.