One dead as truck smashes into motorcycles at Songkhla intersection

webfact

One dead as truck smashes into motorcycles at Songkhla intersection

mot.jpg
Image: Sanook

SONGKHLA: -- CCTV footage showed a desperate dash for life as a truck skidded into motorcycles at a Songkhla intersection Sunday. The truck was doing a high speed in rainy conditions.

One man named only as Wuthichai could not flee in tie and died under the lorry that smashed into the lights at the Ban Muang Ngam intersection. Others on three bikes seeing the approaching disaster abandoned their bikes and escaped just in time. One appeared injured reported Sanook.

A large crowd of people came to see the carnage and apparently the driver of the truck that belonged to Hang Hun Suan Co Ltd and was on its way from Songkhla to Sathing Pra, slipped away unnoticed.

Police are contacting the company to trace him. They said that drivers should be especially careful at this time with rain making conditions treacherous.

Source: Sanook

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-30

And the carnage goes on. Totally irresponsible low educated cowardly scum bag behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that. The Police should charge the company and the driver with manslaughter.

I am sure the company that owns the truck will co-operate with police after their incompetent and dangerous driver left the scene after killing a man and demolishing their vehicle.

In this country 95% of Thai drivers drive too fast in dry conditions. In wet or other adverse conditions make that 100% !

Driver will get 1,000 Baht fine and company will pay 1 million to victims family....end of story.

RIP the poor victim just most likely going to work on a normal day....very sad.

And the carnage goes on. Totally irresponsible low educated cowardly scum bag behind the wheel of a large vehicle like that. The Police should charge the company and the driver with manslaughter.

I am sure the company that owns the truck will co-operate with police after their incompetent and dangerous driver left the scene after killing a man and demolishing their vehicle.

My Swedish neighbor, was riding his motor cycle on a main road dry conditions, when he was hit from the rear and run over by a speeding truck, the truck jackknifed and the fuel tank on the CBR exploded burning the rider alive.

The driver ran away (of Course), he was later arrested, his company payed the police 150,000.00 Baht and he was back on the road driving trucks again.

Edited by FourAces

RIP poor fella, very disturbing scenes this could happened with anyone. There are so much accidents going on a daily basis and nothing gets done in order to reduce the risk for example I never see a policeman chasing down someone because of their bad driving behaviour or monitoring traffic and reporting to other policeman to take out the reckless drivers from the roads. The law enforcement should have a deterrent force in any decent country but here if you participate in traffic you take your life into the hands of random lunatics. What we have to take note there is a significant chance of life threatening risk even if you doing nothing just waiting for the red lights and be glad you survived it so far... Who don't know Thailand well enough might wonder why they don't care this problem, weeks, months, years, decades pass by and nothing happening in order to prevent or curb the number of fatalities happening daily on the roads here.

My Swedish neighbor, was riding his motor cycle on a main road dry conditions, when he was hit from the rear and run over by a speeding truck, the truck jackknifed and the fuel tank on the CBR exploded burning the rider alive.

The driver ran away (of Course), he was later arrested, his company payed the police 150,000.00 Baht and he was back on the road driving trucks again.

Could be bail.. i have a bail bond in my insurance that if i ever am in an accident I can wait for a trial in freedom. (assuming i killed someone)

Edited by robblok

Horrifying.

I doubt the rain had a whole lot to do with it anyway. He was coming too fast into a red light, panicked and slammed on the brakes. Should never have been driving that fast in the first place in a truck like that. Utter fool and totally avoidable accident. Fool with blood on his hands.

In all the countries that I've driven in, I would rate Thailand as no. 1 in terms of incompetency and lack of road craft.

This is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future as there is no will in the backbone of this country to improve matters. Most of the casualties tend to be from the lower social ranks so there is little mileage to the central govt to preserve lives at this level.

Sure+ and the weatherman forecasted snow tonight.

Bottom line is and I say it time and again.... these are petulant 8 year olds in adult bodies..clever ones are about mentally 12 and they probably have cabinet position in the Gov...

On another news thread a truck ran into a train at a crossing. My Thai GF got pissed with me when I said the idiot should have stopped to look before even attempting the crossing - she blamed the "fact" the lights and barriers did not work......no point in getting in a fight over that logic.

They just don't get it.........

I now max out at 40km on my motorbike and spend all my time driving it like an Apache helicopter pilot on full alert for incomings...

because, like this truck they are exactly like and have the capacity of ballasitic missiles.

Bottom line is and I say it time and again.... these are petulant 8 year olds in adult bodies..clever ones are about mentally 12 and they probably have cabinet position in the Gov...

On another news thread a truck ran into a train at a crossing. My Thai GF got pissed with me when I said the idiot should have stopped to look before even attempting the crossing - she blamed the "fact" the lights and barriers did not work......no point in getting in a fight over that logic.

They just don't get it.........

I now max out at 40km on my motorbike and spend all my time driving it like an Apache helicopter pilot on full alert for incomings...

because, like this truck they are exactly like and have the capacity of ballasitic missiles.

The victims were traveling at 0km but that didn't save them.

Moderate speed,observation and careful positioning ("defensive" riding) are of no benefit in a country full of drivers who can't/won't stop, and like to attack from behind or when you are standing still.

Edited by Enoon

Horrific to watch.

Amazing there were not more casualties in that crazy human bowling. RIP to the poor guy.

Unbelievable that the driver "slipped away unnoticed". He is probably applying now for his next job as a van driver.

I suggest everyone dispense with all the trash talk about the driver until the accident is investigated.

The driver could have had a mild stroke or other medical condition. If so, there is no negligence, no legal liability, nor could charges be filed.

Post accident, drivers do occasionally get help and are rushed to the hospital by a witness.

It's possible he fell asleep. He could be charged with that.

I'm at a loss to understand why some posters are so angry and negative after reading news that generally is wriiten, before an investigation, with a negative spin to generate more business.

Be calm and thankful where you are and enjoy the freedoms and great food here. Keep in mind millions of people worldwide have lost what you currently have in Thailand.

I regularly have a coffee at the same time in a cafe located on an intersection where a public bus turns. As he turns, the driver changes gears and let me tell you, the poor bus is put through pure hell. There is no double clutching. The driver just continues to rip and pull until the gears grind into place. Meanwhile, the bus has almost come to a stop mid intersection and all the traffic has come to a stand still. Clearly, no driver training or education. After about 15 minutes, this bus has not left town on its 23 km journey and it would all be due to gear changes. Just where is the quality assurance with large vehicle driving in this country? Clearly the two things all the drivers know are, 'my brakes failed' and to flee the scene.

In all the countries that I've driven in, I would rate Thailand as no. 1 in terms of incompetency and lack of road craft.

This is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future as there is no will in the backbone of this country to improve matters. Most of the casualties tend to be from the lower social ranks so there is little mileage to the central govt to preserve lives at this level.

You have never driven in Saudi, Kuwait or Libya- and let's not forget Hanoi.

CBR?

You have never driven in Saudi, Kuwait or Libya- and let's not forget Hanoi.

In Hanoi everything moves so slowly! The highways outside Hanoi are a bit scary

I regularly have a coffee at the same time in a cafe located on an intersection where a public bus turns. As he turns, the driver changes gears and let me tell you, the poor bus is put through pure hell. There is no double clutching. The driver just continues to rip and pull until the gears grind into place. Meanwhile, the bus has almost come to a stop mid intersection and all the traffic has come to a stand still. Clearly, no driver training or education. After about 15 minutes, this bus has not left town on its 23 km journey and it would all be due to gear changes. Just where is the quality assurance with large vehicle driving in this country? Clearly the two things all the drivers know are, 'my brakes failed' and to flee the scene.

That was probably the most ignorant post I have read on TV.

That was probably the most ignorant post I have read on TV.

Not at all, right on the money IMO. Or are you one of those apologists who continually protest that driving in Thailand is no better or worse than anywhere else? It is pretty much the norm for drivers involved in serious accidents (those who are capable) to flee the scene, as it is for speeding truck drivers to blame the accidents they cause on the failure of the trucks brakes.