Best way to get to Koh Chang, Trat is?

Hi Folks,

What is the best way to get to Koh Chang in the trat province?

I certainly know that there used to be a bus from Mochit that used to leave around 8am.

Travelling by bus preferred or mini van (a flight considered, if possible)

I have heard something about a mini van from BKK main airport is that true?

anyone got some kind of time table?

Thank you kindly in advance

Personally, I think flying is a bit of a waste to get to Koh Chang

Time you get to Don Muang and then Trat, you still need to get to the pier. Total time probably not too far off just getting a bus

You should get the bus from Ekkamai though, there is one that goes directly to Laem Ngop pier. 7:45am and 9:45am, I believe. No need for messing about getting to Trat like the old days and then making your way to the pier, bus goes right there, get out, ferry ticket and away you go

Pretty sure those are the times for Laem Ngop. As you are walking into Ekkamai it's the booth at the front left of the station i.e. no need to go into the station. It's on the outside facing out and they have small signs in the window advertising the fact they go to Laem Ngop - easy

Inside Ekkamai station there are other bus ticket booths, at least 2 of them have hourly buses to Trat town itself but if you are heading to Koh Chang then the Laem Ngop bus is a no brainer

Stops off a couple of times, gas, maybe near airport and somewhere like Chantaburi (I think) but 5 or 6 hours-ish, if I recall

There may be a minivan from Victory Monument ... may be but I can't say, not sure those minivans go that far.

Other options is minivan from Khao San but honestly, sooooo much messing about, they'll drop off at the pier for Samet, it'll take forever, seriously, it's not convenient.

Honestly, take the big bus from Ekkamai, toilet on board, decent enough bus

Edited by Razzler1973

The bus from Ekkamai takes a long time, best way is a minivan from Victory Monument, transfer to a songthaew 15 km outside Trat (which you would have to do if you if you took the bus anyway) I think the fare is 350 for the minibus and 120 for the songthaew

Flying Bangkok Air only saves a couple hours and costs several times more and you will still have to ferry to the island. I paid 2600 for a ticket, then another 500 for a songthaew from the Trat airport.

Once I tried private taxi for 3000 and then he refused to take it on the ferry (I deducted 300 from his fare)

Edited by camble

Ekkamai Bus Station is on the south side of Sukhumwit Road, opposite Soi 63, which is Soi Ekkamai. You can take the BTS Skytrain to Ekkamai Station, then use the exit at the S.W. corner of the station, and walk back 50 - 100 metres.

I agree that the bus from Ekkamai is the best bet. I took a mini van once, and the trashy driver and his wife spent 1.5 hours driving around bkk and delivering it to some other locations. Ekkamai is easy to find, just ask a taxi driver.

I would avoid these minibuses. The drivers are total maniacs! Driving back to Pattaya from Sri Racha last night, one bus had his hazard warning lights on all the time due to no rear lights. Others were weaving in and out of slower moving traffic at high speed - highly dangerous!

Alan

Time you get to Don Muang and then Trat, you still need to get to the pier. Total time probably not too far off just getting a bus

You should get the bus from Ekkamai though, there is one that goes directly to Laem Ngop pier. 7:45am and 9:45am, I believe. No need for messing about getting to Trat like the old days and then making your way to the pier, bus goes right there, get out, ferry ticket and away you go

Pretty sure those are the times for Laem Ngop. As you are walking into Ekkamai it's the booth at the front left of the station i.e. no need to go into the station. It's on the outside facing out and they have small signs in the window advertising the fact they go to Laem Ngop - easy

Inside Ekkamai station there are other bus ticket booths, at least 2 of them have hourly buses to Trat town itself but if you are heading to Koh Chang then the Laem Ngop bus is a no brainer

Stops off a couple of times, gas, maybe near airport and somewhere like Chantaburi (I think) but 5 or 6 hours-ish, if I recall

There may be a minivan from Victory Monument ... may be but I can't say, not sure those minivans go that far.

Other options is minivan from Khao San but honestly, sooooo much messing about, they'll drop off at the pier for Samet, it'll take forever, seriously, it's not convenient.

Certainly would be a waste going from DMK since Bangkok Air fly from Suvarnabhumi!

A few options:

1. Go by Airport link Skytrain to Suvarnabhumi. On floor one (1) you can catch a large bus to the Koh Chang ferry terminal and transfer on the island by mini-bus. You need to check departure time and get there early. Allow plenty of time - it is not a quick trip. Take a book. Plenty of stops along the way.

2. Go by plane to Trat. Much safer and quicker. Many ways to transfer to the island from the airport.

3. Go by minibus from BKK. Check out services and pick-ups online. A far quicker trip than the big bus but a far greater chance missing out on your holiday altogether and instead being re-routed back to BKK in a mortuary van. I know I have done it once only. Never again.

I hired a minivan through a travel agency. Maybe better drivers? Mine was good. But did travel to pick up others. But it went all the way to the pier. And picked me up at the pier and returned me to hotel.

Edited by elgenon

Been to Koh Chang a couple of times.

Although l left from Pattaya.

A mini bus took me from 2nd road directly onto the ferry & then onwards to my hotel.

Koh Chang is a big island.

Certainly would be a waste going from DMK since Bangkok Air fly from Suvarnabhumi!

Lolz

I'll make it 'going to the airport', shall I. They're equally inconvenient and time consuming

A few options:

1. Go by Airport link Skytrain to Suvarnabhumi. On floor one (1) you can catch a large bus to the Koh Chang ferry terminal and transfer on the island by mini-bus. You need to check departure time and get there early. Allow plenty of time - it is not a quick trip. Take a book. Plenty of stops along the way.

2. Go by plane to Trat. Much safer and quicker. Many ways to transfer to the island from the airport.

3. Go by minibus from BKK. Check out services and pick-ups online. A far quicker trip than the big bus but a far greater chance missing out on your holiday altogether and instead being re-routed back to BKK in a mortuary van. I know I have done it once only. Never again.

Going all the way to the airport to get on the bus?

It's much quicker from pretty much anywhere in BKK to get to Ekkamai

One of the Ekkamai buses stops at the airport, it's the same bus

The bus from Ekkamai takes a long time, best way is a minivan from Victory Monument, transfer to a songthaew 15 km outside Trat (which you would have to do if you if you took the bus anyway) I think the fare is 350 for the minibus and 120 for the songthaew

Flying Bangkok Air only saves a couple hours and costs several times more and you will still have to ferry to the island. I paid 2600 for a ticket, then another 500 for a songthaew from the Trat airport.

Once I tried private taxi for 3000 and then he refused to take it on the ferry (I deducted 300 from his fare)

If you take the Laem Ngop bus you don't have to transfer, it takes you directly to the pier

You only need to transfer if you take the regular Trat buses but with a couple of morning buses direct to the pier it's not really worth doing that tbh