Motorola Moto G (3) contender in Thailand

gobs

Hi all

I was looking to purchase a Motorola Moto G (3) smartphone, but it seems a bit challenging here in Thailand, so I have to change my mind. But as it would be my first smartphone ever and I have no knowledge in this area, I ask for your help to chose which one would do the trick.

I confess I’m a bit lost...

As it is, I’m not an Internet freek: no FB and the like and no hudge browsing. Not a gamer nor a movie watcher. Googling, mailing and accessing websites, it’s just fine for me. Stellar speed is not a real concern, but not slow either. Bells and whistles are not on my list. A 5” screen appears to me a good compromise. Price range should be up to 7000 Bahts…

I want it at first to bring it along with me everywhere I go, but especially, sometimes, on “off main roads” motorcycle rides, in my bag, not fixed to the handlebar. Not as a vocal aid, but more as a “place finder”: where am I now on the map and what to do to go there on the same map?

I want a good GPS/geolocalisation mode, even able to work offline if needed (no connection to the web).

I want a good phone (yeah, sure!).

I want a (rather) good camera.

I want it beginner friendly in use.

I want it a bit rugged.

I want a close and good after sale service.

That’s all, I think.

From what I heard and read, the Moto G (3) drew my attention for:

Easy to use

Screen easy to read even in full sun,

Not many mandatory apps I don’t want or use,

Very good geolocalisation mode even offline,

Correct to good camera,

Rugged screen and body.

In your opinion, which “easy to get” android smartphone would be the nearest contender here in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Ray

I wanted to get a Moto G for my GF as she works at a seaside location and in the past, her phones had sometimes gotten wet. The Moto G is water resistant as well as being a very decent phone for the price. I was unable to find one OTC in Thailand but did find a very good price on Ebay from a Hong Kong based seller. Price was around B5500 (2014) with free shipping...arrived in a week. It Was a UK-French model and works fine here on AIS 3G. It's a very good and durable phone. It has been in the water and held tight...no problems.

I'm guessing that you have never actually handled a Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen)?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorola+g+3+generation+

As it sounds like you've settled on Android, most will offer similar user interface/experience.

Personally, I'd do a bit of research, you can use a site like gsmarena to compare specs (add the moto and then instantly compare)'

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7247

It should be relatively easy to narrow down your short-list to five or fewer models (price range, local availability), then go to shops and handle the potential models. If this is not possible, say you live in a remote area, just check out Youtube videos for reviews/hands on use of the potential models.

You can get a feel for local availability/pricing by looking at web=sites for shops like TG Fone, Jaymart.

Thaimobilecenter may also be helpful: http://www.thaimobilecenter.com/catalog/index.asp

Your applications are relatively unique, and I suspect the screen issue (outside usage, in the rain, or bright sun) and "ruggedization" might be the most challenging. Adding an external case might provide one potential solution?

Thanks for your detailed replies.

After spending time browsing here and there, it seems the Motorola Moto G nearest contender available here in Thailand would be the Samsung J5, apart the "ruggedization". But as you say, mtls2005, a proper case may solve the "problem", if needed...

Both are often compared together through many websites/reviews.

Yes, I found Moto G offers from Hong-Kong. But I'm afraid I'm a "old school" guy: I need to handle at first and then decide rolleyes.gif

So I'll have a look at the Samsung J5, and try to test the GPS thinggy...

Again, thanks for your time. I do appreciate.

Cheers.

Hi all

I was looking to purchase a Motorola Moto G (3) smartphone, but it seems a bit challenging here in Thailand, so I have to change my mind. But as it would be my first smartphone ever and I have no knowledge in this area, I ask for your help to chose which one would do the trick.

I confess I’m a bit lost...

As it is, I’m not an Internet freek: no FB and the like and no hudge browsing. Not a gamer nor a movie watcher. Googling, mailing and accessing websites, it’s just fine for me. Stellar speed is not a real concern, but not slow either. Bells and whistles are not on my list. A 5” screen appears to me a good compromise. Price range should be up to 7000 Bahts…

I want it at first to bring it along with me everywhere I go, but especially, sometimes, on “off main roads” motorcycle rides, in my bag, not fixed to the handlebar. Not as a vocal aid, but more as a “place finder”: where am I now on the map and what to do to go there on the same map?

I want a good GPS/geolocalisation mode, even able to work offline if needed (no connection to the web).

I want a good phone (yeah, sure!).

I want a (rather) good camera.

I want it beginner friendly in use.

I want it a bit rugged.

I want a close and good after sale service.

That’s all, I think.

From what I heard and read, the Moto G (3) drew my attention for:

Easy to use

Screen easy to read even in full sun,

Not many mandatory apps I don’t want or use,

Very good geolocalisation mode even offline,

Correct to good camera,

Rugged screen and body.

In your opinion, which “easy to get” android smartphone would be the nearest contender here in Thailand?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Ray

You seem like a nice guy OP... however your description of what you want a phone for ... seems to me you don't need a Smartphone as rule out much of what a smartphone is used for.

I bought a Motorola G.. 2 sim, early model without a forward camera in Australia 2 years ago for $170. It was not a good phone. I had to keep resetting the phone as it would freeze up. In the end the speaker stopped working, the battery swelled up and the phone stopped working. I took it to many so called phone experts in Phuket but they could not or want to try to fix it. There is no Motorola agents here. It is still sitting in my drawer at home. The next time I go to Australia I will take it to Motorola and see what they say. I replaced it with a Samsung J2 twin sim for 4800. Baht. It is an excellent phone. The higher models may even be better but of course costs a lot more. Depends what you want. My advice is to buy a product in Thailand that is popular and can be serviced here.Hope this helps your decision.

Archived