Watch repairs

overherebc

I collect vintage Seiko divers and have had many jobs performed at the Seiko service center in Bangkok, on some models they must be sent back to Japan for repair.

I assume Citizen would operate on the same basis, if its a high dollar watch all the customs formalities will be taken care of.

I am unable to comment on the Citizen service, but for Seiko the service is spot on. The Japs are meticulous regarding watch repairs so if it heads back to Japan the watch will be returned same as new.

I'm ditto'ing the Seiko center in Bangkok. They handle repairs for many manufacturers. I like Rado and have had two repairs handled by them. They dealt with the return to Switzerland and all the associated customs etc.

One was a warranty repair, the other not. Both times I got great service, ie everything came back good as new

Similarly, I've used the Tag Heuer service centre here and found it excellent.

Citizen's appointed service centre's address is available at http://www.citizenwatch-global.com/support/network/index.html#asia Personally I wouldn't have any qualms about using it, and would be more worried about sending a watch through the Thai post.

Thanks for all the answers.

Mixed experiences on my side:

- a Seiko Solar GPS would not charge anymore and so I brought it to the Seiko repair center in Central Chidlom. It took almost 3 months to fix it, but it was done, for free. (Problem is now: again it does not charge!)

- I brought an IWC to Cortina Watch at the Erawan Shopping Mall, twice, and they gave it back to me with charge (don't remember how much), but it was not properly fixed. So i had to send it to the factory in Switzerland. Also expensive, but now it works. (PS: I had bought the IWC in Switzerland, years ago)

I would not give anymore any mechanical watch for repair here in Thailand, unless I know they will send it to the factory (most likely in Switzerland).

As for electronic watches, well, they tend to be more reliable with less moving components.

Wife bought me an Oris. It went back to the shop after one year for free check and cleaning. Went swimming a few days later and it leaked.

Cleaned and serviced again for free but I just have no confidence to wear it in the water again.

• 11 months later...
15 hours ago, Covertjay said:

Hey.

Is the seiko service centre good with40 or 50 year old model? Not high end just sentimental value.

Thanks for any advice.  

Due to the age of the watch they might not accept, they will use the excuse that no spares are available.

For my high end vintage divers i use a guy in the UK, if you google The Watch Bloke he is a master at repairing and servicing old vintage watches.

These are 3 x 6159/7000 300m divers i had, sold 2 and kept 1

IMG_0393.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Covertjay said:

Watch Bloke's site looks awesome but he's not receiving any more repair work until he clears his back log. Any ideas for around bkk on weekends?  

I am sorry i do not know of any repair shops in BKK, i have only ever used the main Seiko branch. I would be afraid to let someone unknown open a vintage watch.