First look at the new MRT Purple Line

webfact

First look at the new MRT Purple Line (PHOTOS)
By Coconuts Bangkok

t5_0.jpg
Photo: BKKTrains

BANGKOK: -- Website BKKTrains released photos of the new MRT Purple Line last night, which is scheduled to open on Mother’s Day (Aug. 12).

The much-anticipated new line will be the MRT’s first overground line and will run from Taopoon station in Bang Sue district and goes up north to Bang Yai district in Nonthaburi, spanning a total of 23 kilometers.

One complaint that the purple line has already gotten is that it doesn’t connect with the current MRT line, the blue line. The last station on the blue line, Bang Sue, is a kilometer away from the first station on the purple line.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/30/first-look-new-mrt-purple-line-revealed-photos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-31

I think I saw a mention somewhere of a shuttle bus between the two ?

I believe the shuttle bus goes for about 500 meters, after which you need to take a motortaxi to the canal where you can take a boat.

That boat will bring you to about 50 meters from the MRT station, but unfortunately there is a busy road in between within crossing.

They recommend you to take a taxi there to finally reach the MRT.

A fully integrated system with single pay, like London Oyster card, would be nice too!

I now have prepaid cards for London, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, I'd like to add a Bangkok card to the collection!

the rabbit card was supposed to do all, never did and never will.

usual Thai. failure.

wow, can't wait for the #8 bus to take card!!!!! Ha-Ha

how are conductors going to take cards, or is the bus going to wait for each person to pay?? Ha-Ha

This is the first I've heard that it doesn't connect with the blue line. Unbelievable. No, I know, quite believable.

Of course it connects to the Blue Line, or will, just not yet.

The 1km Blue Line extension from Bang Sue to Tao Poon is well under way with work slated to complete early next year smile.png

BUT

There seem to be major issues with a contract to run the Blue Line trains that extra 1km and no trains will run there until that issue is solved.

Hence the bus service.

Even without the missing-link Blue Line smart cards will work on the Purple Line and vice-versa.

I think I saw a mention somewhere of a shuttle bus between the two ?

I believe the shuttle bus goes for about 500 meters, after which you need to take a motortaxi to the canal where you can take a boat.

That boat will bring you to about 50 meters from the MRT station, but unfortunately there is a busy road in between within crossing.

They recommend you to take a taxi there to finally reach the MRT.

Repeat in reverse when you get to your destination.

A fully integrated system with single pay, like London Oyster card, would be nice too!

I now have prepaid cards for London, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, I'd like to add a Bangkok card to the collection!

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/11/all-one-bts-mrt-spider-card-launch-august

But I think it may be delayed. :)

Spider card: can be used on tollways too! That would be useful on the taxi ride from Don Muang to our hotel after flying in from smallesville!

The amount of money they'll make from unused credit in the first year or two should pay for the infrastructure!

Edited by ThaiKneeTim