60 Day Tourist Visa / Double Entry

I will be in Thailand for 35 days then heading to Cambodia for 5 days then back to Bangkok for 3 days before flying home. I have just been told that getting a 60 day tourist visa is not enough - I have to pay double the cost for a double entry visa!!!

Is there anyway around this? I was under the impression that if I left in that 30-60 day mark the visa would expire then when I came back through I would be able to get a 30 day free visa?!

Can anyone advise? I would really prefer to not pay $90 instead of the $45 I budgeted, especially considering I am only back in for 3 days! $15 a day on a budget not happy!!

I am from Oz.

Thanks

Reet xx

Can't blame the Thai Embassy in question from trying to milk another $45 out of the man from down under. That's what it's all about, sniffing out the opportunity and using cunning and guile to come out on top. It's called "geng".

Regardless, there is no reason he/she can not use a tourist visa entry followed by a visa exempt entry.

Agreed but I have just been told by immigration the other day if I want to avoid any problems not to attempt that as that is what I am looking to do in a few months. So I think the problems people will have is how the rules are being read, and even from

people at immigration there appears to be no clarity on the changes

Now I was given in my opinion "mis-information" but if I am being not to attempt that by immigration I find that concerning, on arriving back into Bangkok

Edited by Remo

This is a tourist - not a visa runner. I suspect you were told they would not look kindly on a person using up visa exempt, then tourist, and then return to visa exempt routine to remain in Thailand. If that is so it might be a good topic to post if you believe it might not be mis-information.

This is a tourist - not a visa runner. I suspect you were told they would not look kindly on a person using up visa exempt, then tourist, and then return to visa exempt routine to remain in Thailand. If that is so it might be a good topic to post if you believe it might not be mis-information.

I am talking about going from Tourist to Visa Exempt. When my tourist expires I will not have had one visa exempt stamp on my passport, thats why I think its mis-information based on everything else I have been told

Sorry I should of clarified that the travel agent I was speaking to rang the Thai embassy here in Adelaide and was given that information!

I think they were saying that because I was on a tourist extended visa that I was not entitled to the free 30 day because that was used up in my initial 35 days?! Doesnt make sense to me but I guess it would be worth paying the $45 instead of being refused entry at the Airport!!

I think what they were trying to say... and I am more confused than anyone... is that if I left the country to go to Cambodia before 30 days then I would not have a problem re-entering like how everyone seems to be doing... however because I am on a 'special' visa I am not entitled to 30 days (as it was already used up in my 'special visa') therefore I must get double entry!!

To clarify what is a double entry visa NORMALLY used for? What are these re-entry counters at the airport I keep hearing about?

Sorry to be a pain but it is important I clarify this... I do not want to pay double the amount however I dont want to have trouble getting back into Thailand second time around! :o

To clarify what is a double entry visa NORMALLY used for? What are these re-entry counters at the airport I keep hearing about?

Double entry is used for longer stays and flexibility, dependent on country you can get 2 x 60 days re-entry, so when you arrive you can stay for upto 60 days or you might just choose to stay for 40 leave to see some countries and when you come back you are eligible to stay for another 60

They are used to make life easier if you are planning to stay in Thailand for longer periods

Are you a tourist or not? Now you mention a "special" visa. Have you been in Thailand since October 1 of this year? If not you should be able to enter and exit up to 90 days with either tourist visa, transit visa, or 30 day entry without visa.

A two entry is designed to provide for a visit of up to 60 days, exit to visit another country for however long and entry for another visit of up to 60 days. It is often used, however, to remain in Thailand for six months with extensions of 30 days for each entry. But you do not need a visa to enter Thailand for a stay of less than 30 days and that is what you plan so a single entry is all that would be required (for the 35 day first entry).

Re-entry mostly applies to people who are here on an extension of stay for one year at a time and has little to do with your tourist visit. However, if you want you can use a re-entry permit to keep your 60 day tourist visa stay alive and return using that if the Cambodia visit is only for a week or so. It is an extra cost of 1,000 baht and will require you obtain before you leave Thailand the first time. But you have visa free entry so it is not required.

Sorry I was using 'special' with a hint of sarcasm! I am talking about tourist visas. What you have said all makes sense to me... I was just nervous because the Thai Embassy is saying that I need the double entry... even after we tried to clarify that I was only coming back in for 3 days!!

What will happen if I go with a single entry and then when trying to re-enter after Cambodia they tell me I need a double entry? Can you just pay there or do you have to head back to Cambodia? I am arriving at the Airport.

You can not pay after arrival for a tourist visa unless you are among the few VOA countries (you are not). You will not have a problem.

But as you are this concerned it may be well worth the price to obtain a 2 entry visa and be done with it. There should not be any concern about entry/exit on a vacation. The extra cost is not that much.

Can't blame the Thai Embassy in question from trying to milk another $45 out of the man from down under. That's what it's all about, sniffing out the opportunity and using cunning and guile to come out on top. It's called "geng".

:D

Do you not mean 'gohng'...? :o

Just an update for everyone.... I went to the Thai Embassy today to pay for my double entry visa and I was told that they must have been busy the day my travel agent rang.. because they gave the wrong info!

So to clarify it all I only need the tourist visa (60 day) and when I reenter after Cambodia I will be entitled to the 30 day free visa! They said if I was re-entering Thailand overland it may be difficult as I may be bribed to pay a shitload of money to re-enter but because I was flying back from Cambodia I wouldnt have a problem....

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!!

Reet xxx