Accident claims boy, 9, working as brick maker

geovalin

A 9-year-old boy died after being mangled by a piece of machinery on Monday while working with his parents at a brick-making facility in Battambang’s Mong Russey district, police said yesterday.

Deputy district police chief Keo Sokhum said that victim Rorm Ra was loading earth into a machine that churns out formed bricks when his right arm became entangled in the machinery and was torn off. He was rushed to the provincial referral hospital, but was bleeding profusely, and died shortly after arriving.

“This is the first case of this happening in Mong Russey district,” Sokhum said. Sokhum maintained that officers did not need to take action against the facility where the fatal accident occurred because Ra had been brought there by his parents, and was not formally employed.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/accident-claims-boy-9-working-brick-maker

The facility was aware that a minor was working at the machine - no doubt not for the first time either.

Yet, it has no obligation towards the safety of the child nor to the illegality of child labor?

Calling legal inaction against the facility a moral and criminal depravity falls short of harsher criticsm of law enforcement.

Edited by Srikcir

The facility was aware that a minor was working at the machine - no doubt not for the first time either.

Yet, it has no obligation towards the safety of the child nor to the illegality of child labor?

Calling legal inaction against the facility a moral and criminal depravity falls short of harsher criticsm of law enforcement.

Dear God..spare me.

I used to work at my dads fish and chip shop when I was eight....made a bit of pocket money putting spuds into the peeling machine. Then into a bath filled with whatever preservative. Then into the the chip making machine. I could have been hurt doing any of this.

You'd call that illegal child labour?

Get a grip mate.