Eight Chinese wedding photographers arrested at Phuket temple

snoop1130

Eight Chinese wedding photographers arrested at Phuket temple

post-249866-0-81514800-1464779281_thumb.

The eight Chonese wedding photographers were charged with working illegally in Thailand. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- Eight Chinese men were arrested for working illegally at Wat Chalong yesterday after they were caught shooting pre-wedding photos for a Chinese couple.

The arrests were made by officers from a special unit set up by Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, Phuket Labour Office chief Suthipong Saisakaret said in a press statement issued yesterday (May 31).

“The unit has been ordered to carry out anti-illegal-worker operations on the island, he said.

“The team set up at Wat Chalong and monitored tourists in the area. They noticed a group of tourists gathered in the yard setting up and bringing out photography equipment to take pre-wedding photos of a couple,” Mr Suthipong explained.

“After watching them a while, the officials approached them and asked to see their work permit, which they did not have,” he added.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/eight-chinese-wedding-photographers-arrested-at-phuket-temple-57667.php#cfmh2BbAM9XRgvWH.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-01

There are a few sayings that don't actually apply to Thailand;

'You can't have your cake and eat it' is one of them. The other is 'it's not what you know it's what you can prove'.

Don't you need proof these people are working? Sure, it's a wedding, but are people not allowed to take pics if their cameras are too advanced or they're rather quite good at it?

Again, no need to prove anything. Just make it up as you go along. They probably think it's smart but it just proves there's no rule of law.

So they love to have people come to Thailand to get married. But they are not allowed to bring with them a photographer of their choosing. They have to somehow find a photographer that will get them what they want when they get here.

As a former wedding photographer I know that some people are obsessive about the photos and they put almost as much thought into the photography and photographer as they do the rest of the details. And people who do a big wedding in other countries are very likely to be this type. I wonder how many people change their wedding locations because of issues finding a Thai photographer they can work with?

I wonder if someone travels with a personal assistant, do the authorities also consider this to be breaking the law. Perhaps you need to get a new PA on arrival too.

Lets just start a change org petition to western governments to reciprocate these laws to Thais in our respective countries , no land ownership no work with permits no citizenship , only allowed 49% of their own companies.

Lets just start a change org petition to western governments to reciprocate these laws to Thais in our respective countries , no land ownership no work with permits no citizenship , only allowed 49% of their own companies.

I hope my country does not cut off its nose to spite its face* just to get revenge for those who left their country voluntarily and are whinging about (stupid) rules that a (unthinking and misguided) foreign government chose to impose.

*ie I believe that the relatively laisser-faire attitude that applies in the UK helps foster growth in that country

Eight people using their phones to take pics - no problem, I presume (Yes, I know, dangerous to presume anything in SE Asia).

But using good cameras - problem.

It's a wedding for chrisake.

OK, if the cops actually saw money changing hands then they have some validity.

You start it and I'll sign it.

Maybe they (police) thought the photographers would pull a few 1000bt notes out of their pockets to 'solve the problem' ....but they were Chinese !!

Or maybe they just saw some people working illegally.

I've been in a similar situation when getting our pre-wedding pics made here in Thailand.

Some of my wife's friends (all Thai) are pretty good hobby photographers and as they all have extremely well paying jobs they have the cameras to match.

So we paid the entrance fee (as I am a foreigner) to enter a palace in Hua hin and they started making pictures.

After a while some staff came by complaining that taking pictures was not allowed.

They pointed out that everybody around there is carrying cameras and taking pictures of each other.

The staff came back with "but your cameras are more expensive making it a professional photoshoot which requires permission".

They even made us delete the pictures taken so far (not knowing that with the right software you can still download the pictures after deleting them on your camera).

The rules are often so out-of-date, and that in combination with putting barely educated people in positions of power, that there is no rule of law or justice.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Bob12345

sound like the chinese were in a group of friends and some had cameras and were simply doing what any normal people would do on such an occasion, take pictures. many people have good cameras. seems absurd to arrest them let the police prove those chinese live in thailand and make money from wedding shoots.

Eight photographers in one wedding? Looks more like eight guests with camera gear if you ask me.

Trying to use parts of my brain I deducted that for such photos you would need a make-up artist, somebody in charge of the dress, a hair dresser, photographers assistants for the lighting, controlling the flux of passer-bys, probably somebody in charge of the whole thing and 1 or 2 photographers, guide, translator, driverS... ; it's not as if the Chinese have a problem to gather cheap labour for the task... so 8 people to work for a wedding photo shoot doesn't seem far fetched.

Edited by reggaebkk