Popular islands in Trang closed to all visitors for 4 months

webfact

Popular islands in Trang closed to all visitors for 4 months

IMGP4779-wpcf_728x409.jpg

TRANG: -- Several popular tourist destinations in Haad Chao Mai national park in Trang province have been closed to all visitors for four months from June 1 to September 30.

The national park chief Mr Manote Wongsureerat said that Tham Morakot, Muk, Kradan, Choek and Wan islands which are popular spots for tourists have been closed as of today (Wednesday) to allow marine resources in the areas to rehabilitate naturally.

He noted that the warming of the sea water during the dry season has caused widespread coral bleaching, especially staghorn corals, hence it is necessary for the aforementioned islands which are rich with corals to be spared from human activity.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165666

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-02

closed for 4 months...now...how convenient - this is the monsoon season, so less tourists go anyway! Last time I went to the south these islands were crawling with tourists - these islands have been spoiled. There should be a limit on the number of tourists per day, like they do at Lord Howe island.

i went to koh samet a few years ago. some officials had been there the day before and wielded a metal gate across the warf where all the tourists arrive. apparently most or all of samet is a marine park and is not supposed to have buildings on it. guys cut the gate down the same day. wonder if there is not more to this. maybe bigger 'fees' are being demanded to keep these places open.

Some strange reaction posts here..............

post #2, no where does it say the coral will "rejuvenate", it just says due to damage it's best at this point to be "spared from human activity".

Post #3, of course less tourists, being on a boat there this time of year is treacherous. As far as the Lord Howe comment I believe there are a lot more businesses involved on these islands than on Lord Howe so limiting tourists would damage those businesses, makes no sense at all. Poor comparison.

Post #4 Koh Samet? Different seasonally and considering this is Bangkok's Island, you say there are not suppose to be buildings? What about the restaurants, resorts etc??

Anyway, this seems more a slow news day article than anything else, frankly, I think they should extend through October as that is typically the nastiest of the monsoon months.

Anyone have any more facts on this ?

for example Tham Morakot is a place on Ko Muk, so why are they listed as different places? Is the whole of Ko Muk closed.

How it is enforced? For example - there is an indigenous population on Ko Muk and a daily boat there (including during the monsoon season) . Will anyone looking like a "visitor" be turned away from the boat? Or are all the resorts forcably closed, so there would be nowhere for him to stay?

If a tourist just wants to stay on the land and swing in a hammock, is that allowed?

Or is it just the day-tripper snorkel/diving boats that are stopped ?

TIA

Just be the snorkelling spots. Cant close Muk or Kradan. Resorts would be taking in guests.

probably just put up a small sign to say you cant swim there and then fine all the foreigners who go in the water. i loved the one in bangkok where the police decided to get rid of all the guys taking their elephants around and charging the tourists to feed them. rather than fine the guys with the elephants they would fine the tourists feeding them.

Archived