Good place to eat for anniversary?

sup3r1or

Hello everyone,

We have a marriage anniversary coming up and were thinking of travelling to CM to have a nice lunch or a dinner. What are your recommendations? Both a la carte and buffets are welcome.

Last year we were at Davids' Kitchen 909 it was great place, this time we were thinking maybe about a buffet.

I looked at Le Meridien Sunday Brunch (as it will be on sunday) people saying this is the best place to go, I looked at their food selection and wasn't that impressed at the 1000 bht price per head. I know Chiang Mai is not BKK but still, you can get a bigger selection for similar price like Foei gras and other things.

In any case any recommendations are appreciated.

Le Meridien regular Sunday buffet in the lobby area is now around 1,250baht and not recommended. The first Sunday of the month one is held upstairs in the Italian restaurant is superb but costs around 2,500baht but includes plenty of goodies - 1/2 lobster, prime rib, foie gras - and plenty of others to justify. Booking required.

Only eaten once at the Dhara Dhevi Sunday brunch and opted for the free flow wine option and cost was 3,500baht but that was a year ago.

^^^^^^^^^55555

E/S has been a regurlar nosebagger at the 4 seasons,sunday lunch,for a decade or more, and it sure tics all boxes. for a special occassion

at 2.000 baht plus plus, one can drink themselves under the table,( good brand wines incl) and devour all grub and deserts available,over 3 hr sitting

and listen to Om (what a stunning looker)unique voice, back up by her jazz bandsmile.png

her presence really adds to a very relaxing arvo in beautiful rural surroundings

one can go early and use all the health clubs amentities,or be a poolside lizard,or take a dip

if not a boozer, 1500 baht plus plus, is the price tag, which includeS all non alcholic drinks ETC ETC

BTW

this is there new time table as follows

june 12 and 26 ...,july 10 and 24... aug 14 and 28

sept onwards, every sunday

a lovely late afternoon to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

New Le Meridien Sunday Brunch in the lobby is not good value any more. The "all you can drink" has been replaced by "here's a drink" or "unlimited Bloody Mary's" and the quality of food and the amount of choice have both been degraded too.

The Four Seasons and the Dhara Dhevi are both good (though I don't think you get free drinks at the Dhara Dhevi).

River Market. Excellent food, service and a great view as well.

An excellent choice as he has clearly stated 1,000 baht was a bit much for what is offered. I doubt another 500 baht any place would make that big of a difference. The Kantary Berry Hill sounds about the best bet for a buffet. Not tried it myself but the price looks good.

Perhaps some of the others would be worth it if you are a heavy drinker.

Being as it is a special occasion I can not say as to the scenery. I believe the River Market would deliver on that. The LA Meridian. ShangriLa, Empress and the Holiday Inn would be lacking for any thing special on a special occasion. I have eaten at all of them over the years and find them not that wonderful.

The Le Meridien once-a-month buffet is VERY nice. It's coming up this Sunday, June 5th. Have you considered having a nice couples massage afterwards in their spa? Even just a nice foot & leg massage there? You have a great view of Doi Suthep (nice and clear now) while a someone truly skilled in reflexology foot massage eases all the muscle aches all over your body just by massaging your feet. My favorite is K. Oh.

I eat out and well several nights a week in ChiangMai. My favourite restaurant now is DASH, corner Sois 1 and 2, Moon Muang in the South East corner of the Old City. Food is excellent and inexpensive. Owner (Dash) was born in Seattle to a Thai mother and American father. It is a purpose built Lanna building with a large outdoor dining area and loads of ambience. Another favourite is Riverside on the Ping River. But go to their Craft Beer Factory venue on the other side of the road from the better known section on the river. One of the owners and manager is Pascal, a Swiss professional. Again the food is top class and not expensive and the outdoor area has a great atmosphere including a waterfall.

I warmly recommend La Fourchette on Prappoklao street, opposite Wat Chedi Luang.

It's a beautifully decorated French restaurant with fantastic food and wonderful service. Perfect for a romantic dinner!

It opens at 18:00 (Monday-Saturday) and it's less expensive comparing to other French restaurants in town.

The Chef/owner is one of the nicest people I met in Chiang Mai and it's always a pleasure visiting his restaurant.

There are so many excellent restaurants in Chiang Mai but for us this is THE place for special occasions!

Congrats! :)

Can anyone tell me what kind of price Iam looking at Shangri La?

They have seafood lunch this sunday and also evening BBQ buffet

The Shangri-La's evening BBQ buffet was dreadful when we went - in fact, we've been to the Shangri-La a few times and it all feels like its on a downward trajectory. I think it's about 1,200++ for the evening buffet - it wasn't worth 199++. It was the first time I've had to complain to management in a 5 star hotel in Asia.

^^^^^^^^^55555

E/S has been a regurlar nosebagger at the 4 seasons,sunday lunch,for a decade or more, and it sure tics all boxes. for a special occassion

at 2.000 baht plus plus, one can drink themselves under the table,( good brand wines incl) and devour all grub and deserts available,over 3 hr sitting

and listen to Om (what a stunning looker)unique voice, back up by her jazz bandsmile.png

her presence really adds to a very relaxing arvo in beautiful rural surroundings

one can go early and use all the health clubs amentities,or be a poolside lizard,or take a dip

if not a boozer, 1500 baht plus plus, is the price tag, which includeS all non alcholic drinks ETC ETC

BTW

this is there new time table as follows

june 12 and 26 ...,july 10 and 24... aug 14 and 28

sept onwards, every sunday

a lovely late afternoon to allsmile.png

Regular for More than 10 years? You are funny.

The music is so loud only the yelling drunks can be heard.

Usually Nancy is spot on with her advice but this time she missed the mark. Imagine spending 1000+ baht for a big buffet, you won't walk away hungry. In fact, chances are good that you will OVEREAT in order to justify the large expense.

When the tummy is too full, that is not the time for a massage, esp not the 'romantic kind'. Nor for yoga, swimming, bike riding etc. All i could do after thanksgiving dinner back home was shoot baskets in the back yard. But after a half hour i migrated to the football (aka gridiron) on TV.

I can't see spending that kind of money on food. How many animals died to supply your table for one hour? How many needed to die so that you may live? None.

OP, the Holiday Inn would be another option.. they have themed daily buffets (Chinese dim sum, seafood, Sunday roast), prices range from 500-800 baht++. Another place to try if you like Chinese is the restaurant in the Duangtawan hotel, nice view from the 24th floor, bon appetit http://www.duangtawanhotelchiangmai.com/restaurant.html

Edited by merlin2002

Usually Nancy is spot on with her advice but this time she missed the mark. Imagine spending 1000+ baht for a big buffet, you won't walk away hungry. In fact, chances are good that you will OVEREAT in order to justify the large expense.

When the tummy is too full, that is not the time for a massage, esp not the 'romantic kind'. Nor for yoga, swimming, bike riding etc. All i could do after thanksgiving dinner back home was shoot baskets in the back yard. But after a half hour i migrated to the football (aka gridiron) on TV.

I can't see spending that kind of money on food. How many animals died to supply your table for one hour? How many needed to die so that you may live? None.

Note, how I esp. recommended the foot and leg massage at Le Meridien.

I've had a regular massage there, also, after the Sunday buffet. Not everyone tries to eat to the point of exploding just because they're paying 1000+ baht for a buffet. But, I did fall asleep during the massage, which I don't especially like to do. Miss the experience when you're sleeping.

I too love animals. They're so delicious.