Start a mixed farm in Isaan

On 22/10/2560 at 4:50 PM, khunpon said:

Many thanks Mr. Kie, for your reply. I will look into Betagro cross breed. Any contacts for Betagro breed will be highly appreciated...

Here is the phone number 0817949487 his name is Wit, he is now having his own farm buying day old chicks from Chonburi with big number directly from breeder farm and raise at his farm in Amnartchareon and then he sell the 16 weeks young layers at around 165-175Baht, depending on the distance. not sure if he speak English 

Got about 3 rai spare/crap rubber.

Moving the banana out of the young rubber (as the canopy closes) slowly onto a 1 rai plot. Doing well in the rubber though and the rubber trees grab some of the fertilizer I give 'em.

Got some small rubber (9 y/o) dotted around that will never tap and ground gets dappled sunlight. One crop I forgot is peppercorn. Going to grow it up the small trees, take a bit more of the canopy out and see how that goes. Some guy in Vietnam doing this on his rubber. Peppercorn does well and we have one plant that supplies us more than enough peppercorn for the year. Crops Nov/Dec. Fresh green is great and dry the rest. B500/kg so, again, doeable.

Grown pak waan last year, might try that and prik in the rubber, thanks. Mushrooms......mmmm, yeah, good idea, one for next year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Great stuff. Love to see folk mixin it up. 1 idea with growing prik thai up your yang trees it this. In dry if you can put drippers on it ,itll do even better. As you know yang roots are surface roots. So suck that surface moisture out really fast. We r planning 1 rai of prikthai in our new farm we just bought in sukhothai. Love to visit u and see what you are doing. Wont be today but some day if its ok for you. Told my wife about your doings and she just said straight out."yesthats kings project style"

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

50 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Great stuff. Love to see folk mixin it up. 1 idea with growing prik thai up your yang trees it this. In dry if you can put drippers on it ,itll do even better. As you know yang roots are surface roots. So suck that surface moisture out really fast. We r planning 1 rai of prikthai in our new farm we just bought in sukhothai. Love to visit u and see what you are doing. Wont be today but some day if its ok for you. Told my wife about your doings and she just said straight out."yesthats kings project style"

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You'd be welcome but we're a long way from you, Ko Chan province, right on the north Chon Buri/Chachengsao border (runs through next door land).

• Like 1

Thinking of 10 different, low-maintenance crops to bring in additional income to the lousy rubber income, which has halved in recent months.

For me I'm not looking for huge volumes as I don't want to chase for customers. Keeping to a variety of small crops we find easy to sell locally to regular customers.

I don't also want to expand into new crops, just stick to, and ramp up what does well here.

We already sell eggs, 75 hens, only 60 laying but we can sell for B100/tray. We profit around B3,000/month. Going to weed out the non-layers for the pot. Started raising RIR chicks. Got free cockeral so fairly cheap to raise. Working out how much to get to 16 weeks then sell on or keep for layers.

Fancy raising some broiler hens as well. Again, I think B3,000/month is achievable, selling at B120/bird. Need to look into growing feed.

Ducks. If the neighbours dogs stopped eating them we'd do better. Now have a gun [emoji2]. Not sold ducks yet but had 12 going at one time. Would have to build another pen though.....so, possibly not ducks.....

We make money (just) on rubber averaging B4,000/month :blink:

Had a good two crops of longbean this year and sold some. Going to increase the plot size next.

Fish aren't bad and we have a good stock of pla duk and pla nin. Sell at B50/kg so 60kg/month average is doeable. 2 ponds, 1.2 rai total.

Banana 300 trees was an experiment at intercropping young rubber trees. Just sold our first bunch, 5 hands at B50/hand or B250/tree. So potential there for around B4,000/month average. Planting out sword suckers so more free trees.

Got 10 producing coconut palms. Just sold 50 for B14 each. Need to work out number needed to bring production up.

Selling chillies but only have a small number of bushes and the price is crap. Same for limes.

I'd like to get to B30,000/month.

Income streams:
Rubber
Eggs
Banana (long)
Coconut
Pla duk
Pla nin
Long bean
Eating chickens

Other crops, observations/comments chaps (or chapesses obviously) ???
Instead of growing to sell, why not grow to eat?

You'll save money by not having to buy some/all of your food and you can still sell/trade the surplus.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

18 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Instead of growing to sell, why not grow to eat?

You'll save money by not having to buy some/all of your food and you can still sell/trade the surplus.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

... and if grown organically, will be much healthier than purchased veggies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djayz said:

... and if grown organically, will be much healthier than purchased veggies.

You're dead right and we already grow 'organically' to eat but I also wanted to see if we could produce a bit of income by increasing production and adding a couple more different, low-maintenance crops. If we could average B30k/month profit it would cover most of our outgoings.....self-sufficiency and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

@MrKie: You wrote you make 1 Baht profit per egg. Where and how do you sell the eggs and for what price? I try to make a backwards calculation how many hens or eggs I have to keep to make 10.000 Baht per month

On 8/11/2560 at 5:25 PM, CLW said:

@MrKie: You wrote you make 1 Baht profit per egg. Where and how do you sell the eggs and for what price? I try to make a backwards calculation how many hens or eggs I have to keep to make 10.000 Baht per month

we sell to neighbors, just 80B/tray. that's only the margin after feed cost excluding housing, management, hens cost, etc. we probably got around 0.5-0.6 Baht/eggs as net profit. 

• Like 1

we sell to neighbors, just 80B/tray. that's only the margin after feed cost excluding housing, management, hens cost, etc. we probably got around 0.5-0.6 Baht/eggs as net profit. 
How much eggs per tray? At the supermarket I have to pay 80 Baht per 10 egg tray. It's free range organic. I doubt a bit of the organic but important to me is the eggs are not from the cage. Same like your system.

1 hour ago, CLW said:
1 hour ago, Mr Kie said:

How much eggs per tray? At the supermarket I have to pay 80 Baht per 10 egg tray. It's free range organic. I doubt a bit of the organic but important to me is the eggs are not from the cage. Same like your system.

30 per tray....i sell only 80 B to people in the village. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/11/2017 at 4:55 PM, Mr Kie said:

Hello Mr Kie. I've followed this thread for a long time now and it's all interesting stuff.

I read recently that the price of eggs has dropped (I think I read it here on Thaivisa). Has this affected your sales price in any way? I'm not trying to be nosey, but just wondering if it has had any effect on the smaller, local egg suppliers.

On 21/12/2560 at 7:47 PM, djayz said:

Hello Mr Kie. I've followed this thread for a long time now and it's all interesting stuff.

I read recently that the price of eggs has dropped (I think I read it here on Thaivisa). Has this affected your sales price in any way? I'm not trying to be nosey, but just wondering if it has had any effect on the smaller, local egg suppliers.

good question... it does but not that much coz our price is already quite low from the beginning. so we still make some profit just slightly lower than early on. 

i'm sure it does affect the other small farms but doesn't effect me. we have quite good plan to deal with such issue. it will turn better soon and we got more profit from selling other stuffs. 

Good luck with your small farm project. You're an inspiration. I have 21 rai at Sirindorn Dam in Ubon and have planted trees. Some do well, particularly mangoes, others just don't suit the Isaan climate or soil. I am planting not for profit though and have an intention to plant a lot more varieties of trees that are suited to the Isaac climate and soil to create a biodiverse area of trees.  Staying away from Eucalyptus as they destroy the soil but are a good cash crop.

• Like 1

One question on planting trees, do you know where I can find a guide to what trees are suited to Isaan climate, so I don't waste more money planting trees that just can't cut it in the climate and soil>?

On 29/12/2560 at 8:43 PM, Latis said:

Good luck with your small farm project. You're an inspiration. I have 21 rai at Sirindorn Dam in Ubon and have planted trees. Some do well, particularly mangoes, others just don't suit the Isaan climate or soil. I am planting not for profit though and have an intention to plant a lot more varieties of trees that are suited to the Isaac climate and soil to create a biodiverse area of trees.  Staying away from Eucalyptus as they destroy the soil but are a good cash crop.

Thanks...right it's better to grow more just than one. banana, mulberry are also growing well here.