2 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

sometimes raising from egg yourself dosnt save much money,

buy incubator

electric

chick crum feed

feed while waiting 16/17 weeks before they start to lay,

vacinations

other medication, multi vits ect

so what im saying sometimes its better to buy point of lay pullets at 16 weeks old

Question on chick crumb feed.

To me it looks like normal pellets, spun in a grinder and cracked corn added. Missus buys it at B20/kg in a clear plastic bag, unbranded.

I made a comment to her the other day that it is nearly twice the price per kg of pellets (we pay B385/30kg bag for layers pellets).

How much do you pay for chick crumb and is it branded?

around the wifes village the local governmet have set up a layer farm,  and around other nearby villlages too, paid the locals to build-set up ect and the then stocked the farm. now they sell eggs by the 30 one tray, for 80 baht, the wife even gets them to deliver too..... the eggs are a litte smaller than the ones we used to buy in the village shops but are alot cheaper, i think the shops charge 120-130  baht per 30. we get through an unhealthy amount of eggs..

i really like the idea of having free range layers but the dogs we keep like the idea more....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, grollies said:

I really like the simple layout. The photographs are very good, look like professional photography? You need a logo.

Thanks....I don't have good camera just using my iPhone 4s, then using Adobe Photoshop creating the simple layout. these pic will be used for decorating my future farmshop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Kie, you have an awesome thread going here. I have been following it since the beginning. I'm planning to setup a small farm with around 2000 layers. I checked locally (Chum Phae) CP Brown layers costs 200 baht per layer. Apparently, CP Brown breed lays around 300 eggs per year. For 2000 layers I will have to pay 400,000 baht. Instead I thought I'll keep 20 layers and 3 roosters , incubate chicks and slowly build up the farm over 12 months. I have time in my hands and therefore there is no rush to get 2000 layers immediately.  

1. Do you think this will work?

2. If so, where can I source CP Brown roosters from, so that I don't cross breed?

3. Would you recommend any other breed as layers?

4. Which breed are you raising?

Edited by khunpon
typos
  • Like 2

You won't get brown roosters unless you go for r/r

The roosters that come from the layers are white, 

The brown layers are hybread f1s

You can get the white roosters and put them with the brown hens. the hens you get from them will be white and the roosters will be brown colour matching

• Like 1

Many thanks @pigeonjake. I have been told that the layer breed is called CP Brown. The supplier of the layers prefers me to buy 2000 layers from them. I understand from their business point of view i.e. that's how they make their money. But from my point of view,  it's better to have say 20 layers with roosters and get fertile eggs for incubation. I just want to ensure that I don't cross breed i.e. have roosters which are also CP Brown.

On 18/10/2560 at 10:58 PM, khunpon said:

Mr. Kie, you have an awesome thread going here. I have been following it since the beginning. I'm planning to setup a small farm with around 2000 layers. I checked locally (Chum Phae) CP Brown layers costs 200 baht per layer. Apparently, CP Brown breed lays around 300 eggs per year. For 2000 layers I will have to pay 400,000 baht. Instead I thought I'll keep 20 layers and 3 roosters , incubate chicks and slowly build up the farm over 12 months. I have time in my hands and therefore there is no rush to get 2000 layers immediately.  

1. Do you think this will work?

2. If so, where can I source CP Brown roosters from, so that I don't cross breed?

3. Would you recommend any other breed as layers?

4. Which breed are you raising?

First of all Thank you for comment. here are my answers to your questions 

1. Do you think this will work? - it will work if you able to produce your own feed. 

2. If so, where can I source CP Brown roosters from, so that I don't cross breed? - i don't know either

3. Would you recommend any other breed as layers? - I just using the cross breed from Betagro, not sure what the name of breed.

4. Which breed are you raising? - cross breed from Betagro

for me key success are - feeding and animal health where the most money spent on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunpon said:

Many thanks Mr. Kie, for your reply. I will look into Betagro cross breed. Any contacts for Betagro breed will be highly appreciated...

Rhode Island Reds are easily available here. Are these the brown roosters you are talking about? Great layers and good for selling on (eating) after they go off lay.

• Like 1

I am primarily looking for a dual-purpose breed i.e both as broilers and layers. I have thought about RIR but don't know any breeder who can guarantee RIR breed. If anyone can supply me with 20 pullets and 3 RIR roosters I will be happy to pay good price them. Otherwise, I'm looking to source pullets from established big players such as CP and Betagro.

2 hours ago, khunpon said:

I am primarily looking for a dual-purpose breed i.e both as broilers and layers. I have thought about RIR but don't know any breeder who can guarantee RIR breed. If anyone can supply me with 20 pullets and 3 RIR roosters I will be happy to pay good price them. Otherwise, I'm looking to source pullets from established big players such as CP and Betagro.

Where are you? I've got RIR chicks hatching now, 2 males (I think) and hopefully a good few females (but I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched 555).

Breeding cockeral and hens are true RIR.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, khunpon said:

Thinking of 10 different, low-maintenance crops to bring in additional income to the lousy rubber income, which has halved in recent months.

For me I'm not looking for huge volumes as I don't want to chase for customers. Keeping to a variety of small crops we find easy to sell locally to regular customers.

I don't also want to expand into new crops, just stick to, and ramp up what does well here.

We already sell eggs, 75 hens, only 60 laying but we can sell for B100/tray. We profit around B3,000/month. Going to weed out the non-layers for the pot. Started raising RIR chicks. Got free cockeral so fairly cheap to raise. Working out how much to get to 16 weeks then sell on or keep for layers.

Fancy raising some broiler hens as well. Again, I think B3,000/month is achievable, selling at B120/bird. Need to look into growing feed.

Ducks. If the neighbours dogs stopped eating them we'd do better. Now have a gun :smile:. Not sold ducks yet but had 12 going at one time. Would have to build another pen though.....so, possibly not ducks.....

We make money (just) on rubber averaging B4,000/month :blink:

Had a good two crops of longbean this year and sold some. Going to increase the plot size next.

Fish aren't bad and we have a good stock of pla duk and pla nin. Sell at B50/kg so 60kg/month average is doeable. 2 ponds, 1.2 rai total.

Banana 300 trees was an experiment at intercropping young rubber trees. Just sold our first bunch, 5 hands at B50/hand or B250/tree. So potential there for around B4,000/month average. Planting out sword suckers so more free trees.

Got 10 producing coconut palms. Just sold 50 for B14 each. Need to work out number needed to bring production up.

Selling chillies but only have a small number of bushes and the price is crap. Same for limes.

I'd like to get to B30,000/month.

Income streams:

Rubber

Eggs

Banana (long)

Coconut

Pla duk

Pla nin

Long bean

Eating chickens

Other crops, observations/comments chaps (or chapesses obviously) ???

• Like 1

Thinking of 10 different, low-maintenance crops to bring in additional income to the lousy rubber income, which has halved in recent months.

For me I'm not looking for huge volumes as I don't want to chase for customers. Keeping to a variety of small crops we find easy to sell locally to regular customers.

I don't also want to expand into new crops, just stick to, and ramp up what does well here.

We already sell eggs, 75 hens, only 60 laying but we can sell for B100/tray. We profit around B3,000/month. Going to weed out the non-layers for the pot. Started raising RIR chicks. Got free cockeral so fairly cheap to raise. Working out how much to get to 16 weeks then sell on or keep for layers.

Fancy raising some broiler hens as well. Again, I think B3,000/month is achievable, selling at B120/bird. Need to look into growing feed.

Ducks. If the neighbours dogs stopped eating them we'd do better. Now have a gun [emoji2]. Not sold ducks yet but had 12 going at one time. Would have to build another pen though.....so, possibly not ducks.....

We make money (just) on rubber averaging B4,000/month :blink:

Had a good two crops of longbean this year and sold some. Going to increase the plot size next.

Fish aren't bad and we have a good stock of pla duk and pla nin. Sell at B50/kg so 60kg/month average is doeable. 2 ponds, 1.2 rai total.

Banana 300 trees was an experiment at intercropping young rubber trees. Just sold our first bunch, 5 hands at B50/hand or B250/tree. So potential there for around B4,000/month average. Planting out sword suckers so more free trees.

Got 10 producing coconut palms. Just sold 50 for B14 each. Need to work out number needed to bring production up.

Selling chillies but only have a small number of bushes and the price is crap. Same for limes.

I'd like to get to B30,000/month.

Income streams:
Rubber
Eggs
Banana (long)
Coconut
Pla duk
Pla nin
Long bean
Eating chickens

Other crops, observations/comments chaps (or chapesses obviously) ???

Hi grollies ,love what you are doing. Very similar to us in bangsaphan. Started with 50 rai rubber trees was great but last 4 years sucked. We started with longbeens then prikeegnoo. Prikeegnoo is a great grower in the rubber trees but needs water in dry season. Money not bad but fidly to pick. Our ducks were like yours ,doggy food.[emoji24].
We put in a lot of vvananas as i saw them growing in amoung yang very well. We failed slowly bit by bit. I see people here growing mushrooms very successfully in between the rubber trees. Been doing it a few years now so must work. Ask government or kings project. Its very simple and cheap to set up. No buildings ect . Another good 1 is pak waan. This can be grown in the yang also.very simple ,just scatter seeds around at beginning of wet season. It grows ,again in dry youll need water to produce anything in dry but like the chillies wont die if no water. How many. Vacznt rai donnu have?
Cheers cobbler

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cobbler said:

Hi grollies ,love what you are doing. Very similar to us in bangsaphan. Started with 50 rai rubber trees was great but last 4 years sucked. We started with longbeens then prikeegnoo. Prikeegnoo is a great grower in the rubber trees but needs water in dry season. Money not bad but fidly to pick. Our ducks were like yours ,doggy food.emoji24.png.
We put in a lot of vvananas as i saw them growing in amoung yang very well. We failed slowly bit by bit. I see people here growing mushrooms very successfully in between the rubber trees. Been doing it a few years now so must work. Ask government or kings project. Its very simple and cheap to set up. No buildings ect . Another good 1 is pak waan. This can be grown in the yang also.very simple ,just scatter seeds around at beginning of wet season. It grows ,again in dry youll need water to produce anything in dry but like the chillies wont die if no water. How many. Vacznt rai donnu have?
Cheers cobbler

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "yang"? 

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "yang"? 

Oh so sorry. Yang is rubber, term yang is used when talking about the trees or the liguid or the finnished product ready for sale. Depending on the sentence. Thais use the term for tires nearl anything made from yang/rubber will be called yang then followed by another description word.

2 hours ago, cobbler said:

Oh so sorry. Yang is rubber, term yang is used when talking about the trees or the liguid or the finnished product ready for sale. Depending on the sentence. Thais use the term for tires nearl anything made from yang/rubber will be called yang then followed by another description word.

Ah! Ok, I got it. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, cobbler said:

Hi grollies ,love what you are doing. Very similar to us in bangsaphan. Started with 50 rai rubber trees was great but last 4 years sucked. We started with longbeens then prikeegnoo. Prikeegnoo is a great grower in the rubber trees but needs water in dry season. Money not bad but fidly to pick. Our ducks were like yours ,doggy food.emoji24.png.
Cheers cobbler

Got about 3 rai spare/crap rubber.

Moving the banana out of the young rubber (as the canopy closes) slowly onto a 1 rai plot. Doing well in the rubber though and the rubber trees grab some of the fertilizer I give 'em.

Got some small rubber (9 y/o) dotted around that will never tap and ground gets dappled sunlight. One crop I forgot is peppercorn. Going to grow it up the small trees, take a bit more of the canopy out and see how that goes. Some guy in Vietnam doing this on his rubber. Peppercorn does well and we have one plant that supplies us more than enough peppercorn for the year. Crops Nov/Dec. Fresh green is great and dry the rest. B500/kg so, again, doeable.

Grown pak waan last year, might try that and prik in the rubber, thanks. Mushrooms......mmmm, yeah, good idea, one for next year.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1