Start a mixed farm in Isaan

We've finally been able to move onto our new field in Korat. 3.1 rai in total. The wife is taking 1 rai to grow her strawberries, raspberries, etc. 

That leaves me with 2 rai. I'm really keen to do the same as you Mr Kie. A mixture of various veggies and fruit trees as well as a chicken and/or duck coop and a mushroom house. 

I know 2 rai isn't a lot, but if it's laid our well and the crops chosen carefully, it should be possible ot generate an income from it. 

For the time been I've left the field fallow. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2560 at 11:35 PM, djayz said:

We've finally been able to move onto our new field in Korat. 3.1 rai in total. The wife is taking 1 rai to grow her strawberries, raspberries, etc. 

That leaves me with 2 rai. I'm really keen to do the same as you Mr Kie. A mixture of various veggies and fruit trees as well as a chicken and/or duck coop and a mushroom house. 

I know 2 rai isn't a lot, but if it's laid our well and the crops chosen carefully, it should be possible ot generate an income from it. 

For the time been I've left the field fallow. 

good to you, i think 3.1 rai is more than enough if it closed to market where you can sell your product. i believe you can make the best out of 2 rai and generate an income from it. 

would be good if you could share pictures of your land.

• Like 1

Good morning, I wanted to ask what do you think about plant peach, apricot and ficus trees in Isaan? It's hard to find this kind of tree, do you know where to find them? I'm at Yasothon. Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Thaivisa Connect

On 28/8/2560 at 0:48 PM, Yasoh said:

Good morning, I wanted to ask what do you think about plant peach, apricot and ficus trees in Isaan? It's hard to find this kind of tree, do you know where to find them? I'm at Yasothon. Thank you

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Thaivisa Connect

I have no idea where to find that tree. i think it's from China. probably difficult to grow in hot climate. by the way what are you doing in Yasothon? my farm is in Baan Sritan. if  your stay in Yasothon you must have heard about this village. 

• 3 weeks later...

After done harvesting rice this winter will start building new chicken house 12 x 50 m and adding 2,000 layers more by the beginning of next year. this will generate the revenue around 120,000/month. then the year after will add another 2000 more to have the revenue around 240,000/month. If everything going well, then will keep adding more birds, in 2020 will be total 10,000 birds, expecting revenue around 600,000/month. 

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

1 hour ago, Mr Kie said:

After done harvesting rice this winter will start building new chicken house 12 x 50 m and adding 2,000 layers more by the beginning of next year. this will generate the revenue around 120,000/month. then the year after will add another 2000 more to have the revenue around 240,000/month. If everything going well, then will keep adding more birds, in 2020 will be total 10,000 birds, expecting revenue around 600,000/month. 

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

Thanks again for the update. 

I have a quick question; in pictures 4 and 5, are those mulberries? 

Edited by djayz

55 minutes ago, djayz said:

Thanks again for the update. 

I have a quick question; in pictures 4 and 5, are those mulberries? 

yes you're right they are mulberries, just found out once we cut it, just within 2 weeks it start fruiting. 

• 2 weeks later...

these new laying hens just arrived last week total 200 birds. we are now making around 800 THB/day or 24000 THB/month. growing few of each thing will help to get it sold easily everyday. 

IMG_1837.JPG

selling egg is the main income....the rest are for own food. i think the demand for egg in my village would be around 1000-1200 eggs/day. we are now able to supply only 300 eggs/day. we sold out everyday. 

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

• Like 2

Hi,

You say you make 800bht a day,

Have you taken off that the price of building the pens, the hens, the feed costs ?

just asking, we had laying hens and used to sell everyday to people in the villages ad i bought my feed at cost from the mill not from shops, and eggs were 5 bht each,

there wasnt much profit when you take out the price of the hen and feed, thats without the chicken pens

1 minute ago, pigeonjake said:

Hi,

You say you make 800bht a day,

Have you taken off that the price of building the pens, the hens, the feed costs ?

just asking, we had laying hens and used to sell everyday to people in the villages ad i bought my feed at cost from the mill not from shops, and eggs were 5 bht each,

there wasnt much profit when you take out the price of the hen and feed, thats without the chicken pens

the price of building = depreciation 10 years = around 0.06TBH/egg 

the cost of feed from shop = 355THB/30kg = 11.66/kg feed = bird eat 0.11kg/bird per day. so one egg, feeding cost is = 1.5 Baht we selling egg at 2.66THB each. so we have around 1 Baht left (excluding labor cost coz we do ourselves)  so we have around more than 0.9 Baht/egg/day. 

when i see this number i then can plan to have more birds and have the farm shop ready before this new year to start selling other produces from our farm. this will make even more margin from each items. surely now we are making money even it less. it kind of seeing the possibility when we scale it up. 

by the way good to hear from you regarding the cost. 

I prefer to raise from the day old chicks over buy the young layers. raise the day old chick without high mortality the cost won't be exceeding 100 THB/bird. so you save a lot from this. then after the bird get old and you can sell it at around 60-80 Baht/birds. 

Now when you look at the feed amount they eat which is around 110 gram/b/d. it turns to egg around 50 gram and turn to the meat around less than 15 gram. the rest are going out as feces. this feces are the nutrient for your plant and this keep adding to your land become more productive land. 

my land at the beginning was very poor, now getting much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, pigeonjake said:

You left off the price of your birds,

please understand im not trying to knock you, i repect what you are doing,

Sure! i'm looking at all cost involved and that still making money otherwise i already stopped doing it. i'm more commercial guys. everything need to be counted and if not making money i will not do it. 

5 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

You left off the price of your birds,

please understand im not trying to knock you, i repect what you are doing,

I will tell you if you buy the young laying hens at below 165 Baht will be fine. you still making money but if you buy it at more than 180 Baht and buy feed at more than 13 Baht/kg you will definitely loosing money unless you sell egg at above 4 Baht

the cost of the housing shouldn't be more than 0.2 Baht/egg. 

for my situation all things are lower than that. so that why i'm still doing okay so far. 

however i'm also thinking of mixing own feed, this could reduce cost of feed around 1-1.5 Baht/kg. 

if you rely on feedmill this will not be sustainable in the long term. 

sometimes raising from egg yourself dosnt save much money,

buy incubator

electric

chick crum feed

feed while waiting 16/17 weeks before they start to lay,

vacinations

other medication, multi vits ect

so what im saying sometimes its better to buy point of lay pullets at 16 weeks old

1 minute ago, pigeonjake said:

sometimes raising from egg yourself dosnt save much money,

buy incubator

electric

chick crum feed

feed while waiting 16/17 weeks before they start to lay,

vacinations

other medication, multi vits ect

so what im saying sometimes its better to buy point of lay pullets at 16 weeks old

if you buy 16 weeks old bird at 165 Baht= cost of bird will be around not more than 0.3 THB/egg + cost of feed around 1.37 THB + cost of housing at 0.06 THB . the total cost excluding labor around = 1.75 Baht/egg. this is my cost so far.

i don't know if your cost is the same as mine. 

1 hour ago, Mr Kie said:

selling egg is the main income....the rest are for own food. i think the demand for egg in my village would be around 1000-1200 eggs/day. we are now able to supply only 300 eggs/day. we sold out everyday. 

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

You've got 200 hens laying 300 eggs a day?

4 minutes ago, Mr Kie said:

I have two barns = total 340 birds. 

Ok, just in your post after the mulberries (B200/kg is a good price, I have 10 young trees) you said 200 birds total.

I'm not trying to knock you either and like PJ admire what you are doing. I have 80 RIR also selling eggs and I too was trying to work out the maths.

We get B100/tray and clear after feed around B3,000 per month. Our lay rate is around 75%~ hens are free range.

We've just started our first incubator after being given a cockeral. On day 7 so I'll post up how we get on.

By the way, this is one of the best threads on TVF, well done for keeping it going and best of luck.

• Like 2

just 1 cockeral,

i hope you have put him in a pen with say just 6 hens?

when you see the motorbike coming round selling day old chicks, we all know that they are cocks, buy some of them they are the cocks from the farms, they will be white but they are a great cross for you RIR your hens out of them will be white, they will still lay great,

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pigeonjake said:

just 1 cockeral,

i hope you have put him in a pen with say just 6 hens?

when you see the motorbike coming round selling day old chicks, we all know that they are cocks, buy some of them they are the cocks from the farms, they will be white but they are a great cross for you RIR your hens out of them will be white, they will still lay great,

To be honest we thought he was past it as he was given to us by a guy we bought some trees off.

Put him in with 8 hens in the sick bay. They were only laying 3 eggs per day. One day my missus stuck one of the ducks in with her eggs and put 4 hens eggs under. Hatched all 4 but the duck squashed 2. Should have left it another week though as the duck got off the nest and never hatched her own eggs. All were fully formed.

Every day's a school day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grollies said:

Ok, just in your post after the mulberries (B200/kg is a good price, I have 10 young trees) you said 200 birds total.

I'm not trying to knock you either and like PJ admire what you are doing. I have 80 RIR also selling eggs and I too was trying to work out the maths.

We get B100/tray and clear after feed around B3,000 per month. Our lay rate is around 75%~ hens are free range.

We've just started our first incubator after being given a cockeral. On day 7 so I'll post up how we get on.

By the way, this is one of the best threads on TVF, well done for keeping it going and best of luck.

Thank you for the comment, i said 200 birds in total that were just arrived last week. there are also some of the existing one ^^ 

you have sold at quite good price though. i can not sell above thee 80 Baht/tray it's a mixed size. 

trying to make a design for our product brand, unique farm shop design and farm concept will go for green with environmental friendly.  once we success with the first farm shop, then we will expand the branches under the same brand. 

everyday fresh egg2.jpg

• Like 2