Price of antibiotics from pharmacies?

nupersoodles

I have a medical condition that flares up every so often in the form of a nasty bacterial infection, for which my doctors prescribe either Co-amoxiclav, or a combo of ciprofloxacin and metronidazole, to clear things up over a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know how much these generally go for at pharmacies in CM? I'm quite happy to take generic versions, if it'll save me some money.

e2a: I've just learnt that Co-Amoxiclav is often known as Augmentin, if that helps.

Basement Kad Suan Kaew walk toward the back there is a pharmacy next to a phone case and accessory shop.

The last time I bought Amoksiklav it was 195 baht a box ( a course is not many as I recall.

As others have said 200 baht or less for a course of Augmentin or Amoxicillian

The only expensive antibiotic I have seen here is Azithromycin (Zithromax) that one runs about 600-700 a course

In any case still way cheaper than anywhere in the west

But cautious about using antibiotics too often on your own

The only expensive antibiotic I have seen here is Azithromycin (Zithromax) that one runs about 600-700 a course

Avoid buying at hospitals. RAM for example usually charge 300% more than pharmacies.

Thank you all for you help.

I'm not actually in LOS atm, but I'll be heading straight for CM on my next trip and wanted to get an idea of any likely costs should I have a flare-up while I'm there. Prices sound extremely reasonable though, I doubt I'll have to bring anything with me.

I did buy some cipro from Boots at Don Mueang earlier this year, which was a fair bit more expensive, but that's to be expected from an airport pharmacy selling brand-names. Thanks again.

I'm not actually in LOS atm, but I'll be heading straight for CM on my next trip and wanted to get an idea of any likely costs should I have a flare-up while I'm there. Prices sound extremely reasonable though, I doubt I'll have to bring anything with me.

I did buy some cipro from Boots at Don Mueang earlier this year, which was a fair bit more expensive, but that's to be expected from an airport pharmacy selling brand-names. Thanks again.

Ciprofloxacin is a bit more expesive and quite potent,

Be careful when taking fluoroquinolones, particularly Cipro.

There are many reports of ruptured tendons, after only a few doses.

Read the literature carefully.

Ciprofloxacin is a bit more expesive and quite potent,

Be careful when taking fluoroquinolones, particularly Cipro.

There are many reports of ruptured tendons, after only a few doses.

Read the literature carefully.

Yeah, they had to keep me on cipro for 7 weeks at one point, and my doctor was constantly reiterating his concern about tendonitis. Had it prescribed, on-and-off, for around 15 years now, but the older I get the more frequent the flare ups are getting; a little bit worrying, but not a lot i can do about it. Switching with co-amoxiclav probably helps, at least. Cheers buddy.

Thai Zithromax is 6 x 500mg for 170 THB....I believe it labelled what you stated. Unfortunately Nimman has turned into a pirate ship of places looking to do a big mark-up on Chinese (and naive farang).

The Thai version of Augmentin 1000mg tabs 10 to a box was 300b last time I bought some. Fairly recently. Zithromax costs more as its a name brand the thai version is less than half in price, around 250b.......

come on.... i've taken antibiotics (before surgery) that cost 700 per one pill. pharmacies don't even stock them.

Basement Kad Suan Kaew walk toward the back there is a pharmacy next to a phone case and accessory shop.

The last time I bought Amoksiklav it was 195 baht a box ( a course is not many as I recall.

Recently got Amoksiklav 14 x 1000mg from the hospital at Baht 880 (no I don't normally get meds from hospital pharmacies, but didn't feel like traipsing about that one time and I do get insurance rebate).

Had to take it for an additional week so got the equivalent at a pharmacy for Baht 330.

This was in Pattaya, but I imagine prices are similar elsewhere.

I'm on prophylactic antibiotics most of the time due to a lung condition that exposes me to bacterial infection. I've been through a few different ones over the last couple of years and i keep a note of cost. So, here are the cheapest prices I have paid:

Antibiotic name/tablet size (mg)/daily dose (full treatment not prophylactic)/pack size/pack cost/daily cost

Branded Levafloxacin ('Cravit') 500 / 1 / 5 / ThB 400 / ThB 80

Generic Levafloxacin 500/ 1 /10 / ThB 420 / ThB 42

Branded Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid ('Augmentin') 500/ 2 / 7 ThB 280 / ThB 80

Generic Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid 500 / 2 / 10 ThB 240 / ThB 48

Branded Moxifloxacin ('Avelox') 500 / 1 / 5 ThB 650 / ThB 130

Generic Doxycycline 100 / 2 / 10 ThB 15 / ThB 3

Generic Azithromycin 200 / 2 / 6 ThB 250 / ThB 83*

Branded Azithromycin (forgotten name!) 200 / 2 / 6 ThB 500 / ThB 166*

Cheapest supplier for most of these for me has been the semi-wholesale pharmacy on soi 77 (soi On Nut) in On Nut, Bangkok (between Sukhumvit junction and Big C. Next cheapest is on Th Sukhumvit Bangkok 30 metres west of its junction with soi Nana (close to the Esso petrol/gas station). Prices in my local regional City of Ubon (in the cheapest pharmacy I could find there) can be as cheap as Bangkok, but average about 10% more expensive

* Azithromycin typically has a very short course - typically only 3 days - before descenndin into a prophylactic half dose

The Thai version of Augmentin 1000mg tabs 10 to a box was 300b last time I bought some. Fairly recently. Zithromax costs more as its a name brand the thai version is less than half in price, around 250b.......

Recently got Amoksiklav 14 x 1000mg from the hospital at Baht 880 (no I don't normally get meds from hospital pharmacies, but didn't feel like traipsing about that one time and I do get insurance rebate).

Had to take it for an additional week so got the equivalent at a pharmacy for Baht 330.

This was in Pattaya, but I imagine prices are similar elsewhere.

I'm on prophylactic antibiotics most of the time due to a lung condition that exposes me to bacterial infection. I've been through a few different ones over the last couple of years and i keep a note of cost. So, here are the cheapest prices I have paid:

Antibiotic name/tablet size (mg)/daily dose (full treatment not prophylactic)/pack size/pack cost/daily cost

Branded Levafloxacin ('Cravit') 500 / 1 / 5 / ThB 400 / ThB 80

Generic Levafloxacin 500/ 1 /10 / ThB 420 / ThB 42

Branded Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid ('Augmentin') 500/ 2 / 7 ThB 280 / ThB 80

Generic Amoxicillin+Clavulanic Acid 500 / 2 / 10 ThB 240 / ThB 48

Branded Moxifloxacin ('Avelox') 500 / 1 / 5 ThB 650 / ThB 130

Generic Doxycycline 100 / 2 / 10 ThB 15 / ThB 3

Generic Azithromycin 200 / 2 / 6 ThB 250 / ThB 83*

Branded Azithromycin (forgotten name!) 200 / 2 / 6 ThB 500 / ThB 166*

Cheapest supplier for most of these for me has been the semi-wholesale pharmacy on soi 77 (soi On Nut) in On Nut, Bangkok (between Sukhumvit junction and Big C. Next cheapest is on Th Sukhumvit Bangkok 30 metres west of its junction with soi Nana (close to the Esso petrol/gas station). Prices in my local regional City of Ubon (in the cheapest pharmacy I could find there) can be as cheap as Bangkok, but average about 10% more expensive

* Azithromycin typically has a very short course - typically only 3 days - before descenndin into a prophylactic half dose

Thanks guys, you've been most helpful. That's a very handy list, SantiSuk; much appreciated.

Santisuk....do you take NAC long?....if you do great. If not google it. There are a few versions of it here. I pay about 16b a day for 600mg. dissloved in water. It affords alot of people many benefits....

Santisuk....do you take NAC long?....if you do great. If not google it. There are a few versions of it here. I pay about 16b a day for 600mg. dissloved in water. It affords alot of people many benefits....

Yes I do Nick and yes I get that mucolytic from my favoured OnNut (BKK) pharmacy for 155 baht a 10 effervescent pill tube*. I agree - would not be without it.

It's 180 baht a tube at the soi Nana/Suk pharmacy that many Bangkok expats/tourists use and 190 baht at my local regional city best value pharmacy. You say there are many versions but any pharmacy I have asked for it have sold me the same Temmler Pharma GmbH product.I got a few packets of some Thai stuff when I was in a Thai hospital - that may be cheaper but no way am I fiddling around with 6x100mg powder packets every day!

Bought a Thai generic azithromycin ("Azycin") at 100 baht for 6 at my OnNut BKK pharmacy yesterday.

The more expensive generic I reported in my long post above is a western pharma company (Sandoz/Novartis) generic "Binozyt",albeit manufactured by Novartis in Bangladesh.

They are both the same 250mg, though strangely they advise a different dose pattern. Full dose is 1 tab twice a day for Binozyt and 2 tabs once a day for Azycin. I think I prefer the former as I'm finding it a bit of a bu$$er getting my timing right. Has to be one hour before or two hours after eating and preferably at the same time each day.Try planning that and delivering in the context of Thai extended family eating!

Archived