Tiger’s hides and amulets seized from a truck leaving Tiger’s Temple

webfact

Tiger’s hides and amulets seized from a truck leaving Tiger’s Temple

181_Tiger-Temple-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Officials have seized two full-sized tiger’s hides, over 1,000 amulets made of tiger’s skin and pieces of tiger’s hide from a monk as he was leaving the Tiger’s Temple in Kanchanaburi in a pick-up truck.

Officials of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department, police and army personnel manning a checkpoint in front of the temple stopped a blue pick-up truck as it was leaving the temple.

Inside the truck were a monk, identified as Phra Lamom, a temple official, Mr Kongkiat Chanpeng, and the driver. Three luggages were found on the back seat.

The officials then asked for a search of the truck and the luggages in which they found two full-sized tiger’s hides, 1,045 amulets made of tiger carcasses, nine tiger’s fangs and several pieces of tiger’s hide.

Mr Kongkiat said he was ordered by a monk to move all the items out of the temple to an undisclosed destination.

The driver and Mr Kongkiat were later detained for further questioning. Officials, meanwhile, said that they would step up searches of the temple’s ground to look for illegal items.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165791

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-03

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conservation Rhetoric Falls Apart as 1,000 Magic Tiger Amulets Seized From Monk (Photos)

14648609131464861061l.jpg

KANCHANABURI — Nine tiger fangs, more than 1,000 amulets containing tiger skin and dozens of jars filled with dead animals and animal parts were found this afternoon in a pick-up truck driven out of the Tiger Temple by a monk and two disciples.

While officials continued to catalog the horrors hidden within, the seizure of a large stock of mystical amulets containing actual tiger parts being taken out of the temple by a monk furthers the impression that the worst kind of trafficking was going on at a place that marketed itself worldwide as a friend to wildlife.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1464860913&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-03

Catalogue everything illegal burn it then demolish the temple as it was used for nothing else but a money making exercise to profit off the suffering and exploitation of these beautiful animals.

Nothing to do with the Buddhist faith and for those who have lost their jobs well off to the bangkok Hilton to reflect on what cruelty they have inflicted on these noble beasts for some superstitious beliefs ,

What a stain on Thailand...........................Temples and Monks have been tarnished these last few months, starting to look like a new high on the corruption scale for Thailand..................utterly shameful

If the people cannot see it then there is no hope for this country

I have said it before and I will say it again.............................there is no limit to the greed and ultimate twisted evil that men possess for power and money (riches) and fools with no morals or dignity follow like lemmings .......we believe

Three monks charged in Thailand as tiger potions, charms point to illicit trade
BY PATPICHA TANAKASEMPIPAT

BANGKOK: -- Thai authorities charged three Buddhist monks on Thursday after they were caught trying to smuggle tiger skins and charms made from tiger parts out a temple which monks said was a tiger sanctuary but critics said was a money-spinning tourist trap.

The Buddhist temple west of Bangkok has long been popular with tourists who paid about $20 each to get in and pose for pictures with its tigers, and to feed cubs and walk among them.

But the temple had come under mounting allegations of abuse and illicit wildlife trafficking and authorities armed with a court order raided it on Monday to confiscate the 137 tigers found there and take them to a government wildlife sanctuary.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-tigers-idUSKCN0YO16A

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-06-03

For years now the righteous people of this country has tried in vain to put an end to this temple disgusting

and shameful acts of profiteering of the misery of those poor animals all to no avail,

begs the question, under who's patronage and protection this temple is? who's the power that protecting

this so called temple of doom and allow it to continue trading and flourish year after year with total impunity?.....

What has happened to Buddism in Thailand?

I have lost all faith respect for anything to do with monks/temples e.t.c.

MONEY is all monks care about these days MONEY.

Who can get the most money either legally or illegally.

Nothing matters to monks anymore except getting more money than the next monk.

Money from credit unions, money from cheating people, money from keeping/ killing endangered animals.

Even though it took far too long for this to finally be exposed to the public, although most of us knew something was going on in one form or another at this despicable place, I will say congratulations to the Thai authorities for finally getting off your lazy asses and doing something about it.

Edited by Rayk

I never had any faith or respect for them from day one.

It has taken you how long to realise this ?

Even though it took far too long for this to finally be exposed to the public, although most of us knew something was going on in one form or another at this despicable place, I will say congratulations to the Thai authorities for finally getting off your lazy asses and doing something about it.

Ohhh please! The way it is looking the temple will be back in business in a year or 2 now that they have been given a zoo license. Only this time they will be operating legally to the government and no one will question what is happening in the back rooms there. Do you really think that this will end simply because a they are cracking down there right now? There is too much money to be made and lost and too many people who were getting some hefty envelopes that turned a blind eye to what was happening there before. These actions now are just a minor inconvenience and a delay in their profits. Until the government arrests everyone there including the Abbott that told the monk to deliver those skins and amulets and tears that temple down. Notice in the article they were moving those items to an undisclosed location and they don't mention any names who gave the offer to get them out of the temple. Even now the gigs up the monk's are trying to salvage their money makers for the future. A shame and disgrace for all Thai Buddhism but, then again, they are not the only ones perverting their religion.

Ohhh please! The way it is looking the temple will be back in business in a year or 2 now that they have been given a zoo license. Only this time they will be operating legally to the government and no one will question what is happening in the back rooms there. Do you really think that this will end simply because a they are cracking down there right now? There is too much money to be made and lost and too many people who were getting some hefty envelopes that turned a blind eye to what was happening there before. These actions now are just a minor inconvenience and a delay in their profits. Until the government arrests everyone there including the Abbott that told the monk to deliver those skins and amulets and tears that temple down. Notice in the article they were moving those items to an undisclosed location and they don't mention any names who gave the offer to get them out of the temple. Even now the gigs up the monk's are trying to salvage their money makers for the future. A shame and disgrace for all Thai Buddhism but, then again, they are not the only ones perverting their religion.
That may very well be the case but at least as of today there are 137 big beautiful cats that aren't going to be found stuffed in a suitcase in the back of some jackasses pickup truck. Edited by Rayk

we know that the police are not very good at handling evidence we know that the justice system is not very good at handling trials.......I can see cracks appearing already........ let's hope that the Thai public see this as it is...an insult to their beliefs and national institutions rather than the persecution of a victimised temple - because that's what the temple is going to do....

I'd say it is a major setback, but I dp agree that we shouldn't be counting our cubs until they're frozen.....

What a stain on Thailand...........................Temples and Monks have been tarnished these last few months, starting to look like a new high on the corruption scale for Thailand..................utterly shameful

If the people cannot see it then there is no hope for this country

I have said it before and I will say it again.............................there is no limit to the greed and ultimate twisted evil that men possess for power and money (riches) and fools with no morals or dignity follow like lemmings .......we believe

Well said my friend, I'm just too tired of all this shit over here to carry on ranting ?? Edited by Sooo Upto Me

A shameful money scheme. Poor animals. And silly tourists that keep going to any of these venues. Unless a tiger grows up in your home, they are not cuddle animals and get anaesthetics to sit for photos. This is not a buddhist practice, it's greedy people out of control.

Tigers die of natural causes.

Part them out and sell them.

very sensible,profitable also.

Instead of being part of the solution you are part of the problem.

All of the confiscated items from tiger amulets, tiger carcasses, skins, etc. should be itemized and photographed for the criminal trial of these three. Save a few samples for the trial, but every remaining confiscated item should be burned and destroyed so that not one single item can be resold. This is the only way to help stop perpetuating this heinous problem.

Bravo to the National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department, police and army personnel! Keep it up until every one of these crooks is behind bars.

Edited by lifeincnx

That may very well be the case but at least as of today there are 137 big beautiful cats that aren't going to be found stuffed in a suitcase in the back of some jackasses pickup truck.

would love to know where these animals will be a year from now. would not be surprised if they get lost in the system. money is the true religion in this country. i looked up the rules of being buddist. the main rules are broken by most thais on a daily basis. it is a nice concept though. trying to not sound like i am bashing the thai people as i do enjoy living here.

All of the confiscated items from tiger amulets, tiger carcasses, skins, etc. should be itemized and photographed for the criminal trial of these three. Save a few samples for the trial, but every remaining confiscated item should be burned and destroyed so that not one single item can be resold. This is the only way to help stop perpetuating this heinous problem.

Bravo to the National Parks, Wildlife and Plants Conservation Department, police and army personnel! Keep it up until every one of these crooks is behind bars.

Hedghog is simply trolling. No-one can be that stupid

there are always different ways to look at a problem. another angle would be to look at ways to farm these animals. it would seem to be a viable option. they are endangered and this would certainly take them off the endangered species list. i visited the tiger zoo north of pattaya and the tigers there seemed to be well care for, sure there is some back door trade going on there as well but still the number of animals they have is very impressive.

No statement from the abbot, or his lawyers. Nothing. And they were so eloquent when all this began to unravel about a year ago....

Now, one hears, sees and smells nothing from those perps. I would like the spotlight on the abbot and his lieutenants as the culprits, also investigate his connections with local officials, customs and China.

there are always different ways to look at a problem. another angle would be to look at ways to farm these animals. it would seem to be a viable option. they are endangered and this would certainly take them off the endangered species list. i visited the tiger zoo north of pattaya and the tigers there seemed to be well care for, sure there is some back door trade going on there as well but still the number of animals they have is very impressive.

Possibly the most ill-informed comment so far.

PLEASE if you are going to comment, get informed.

Breeding animals in captivity has no effect on their "endangered status whatsoever.

Farming of endangered species has already been shown to increase demand for (useless) animals products and increase the pressure on the real endangered species in the wild - the ones that are part of a whole eco-system.

Your comments about the Sri Racha tiger zoo echo those over the last 10 years of people too naive to realise what was actually going on at the Tiger temple...you are just showing how utterly uninformed you are of the whole situation.

may I suggest you do a day on the internet researching wildlife conservation and then a day reading what you've downloaded and maybe you'll only be 15 years behind what the rest of us already know?

Edited by cumgranosalum

I never had any faith or respect for them from day one.

It has taken you how long to realise this ?

while I met monks whom I take serious and respect well - being a monk in Thailand means nothing to me anymore - sorry for the honorable ones, who exist for sure.

I studied the Buddhas's teaching and adore them - but monkhood in Thailand has nothing to do with it.

The orange robe alone does not deserve respect.