PM Prayut told farmers to grow crops according to weather conditions

webfact

PM told farmers to grow crops according to weather conditions

BANGKOK, 3 June 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has advised farmers to grow crops that are suitable to current weather conditions.

Gen Prayut had been speaking during an award ceremony held on the occasion of National Rice and Farmer's Day. The event recognized 23 outstanding farmers, and the Prime Minister had the opportunity to meet representatives of a farmer's association.

Gen Prayut said that farmers need to adapt to climate change and advances in technology. He affirmed that the government will provide them with the means to successfully grow their crops.

Meanwhile, Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikulya clarified before the Cabinet that he did not outright forbid farmers from growing rice in April, but encouraged them to postpone crop cultivation to July, when the rainy season starts.

The minister will also encourage farmers to grow other types of crops for the time being, as water resources are too scarce for full-scale rice farming.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-03 footer_n.gif

Perhaps he will also 'adapt to climate change' by cancelling the two new coal-fired power stations and use 'advances in technology' to generate electricity in ways which don't contribute to greenhouse gas emissions,

"Crow crops according to weather conditions". Is there no end to this mans wisdom? I shall have a word with the old chap across the road when he returns in his tractor tonight. He has only been farming for around 50 years, so I doubt this idra has ever crossed his mind.

Also I note he tells us that the government will provide them with the means to successfully grow their crops. Looking forward to hearing the details on that one and seeing the results.

Edited by BigBadGeordie

" Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has advised farmers to grow crops that are suitable to current weather conditions... he did not outright forbid farmers from growing rice in April, but encouraged them to postpone crop cultivation to July, when the rainy season starts."

I'm sure that after a few thousand years of rice cultivation, they didn't need his brilliant input on how to grow rice.

Perhaps they would be better off if he suggested that they learn something really unique and useful...Like...Let's say...Developing a real democracy with a leader who actually suggests something that would benefit the entire society as a whole.

Edited by jaltsc

Perhaps he will also 'adapt to climate change' by cancelling the two new coal-fired power stations and use 'advances in technology' to generate electricity in ways which don't contribute to greenhouse gas emissions,

Perhaps by using solar energy? But, wait. They're soldiers.

What will Thailand do with all the Cactus the farmers will grow. As this is all that grows without rain.

Do you deep fry or boil it ?

Som tum cactus - no need to add chillies as it already has the phriks!

Good general advice….. now, if the General could be a bit more specific on what crops they should grow, how farmers can go about financing the crop, then marketing them and so forth…..

Good general advice….. now, if the General could be a bit more specific on what crops they should grow, how farmers can go about financing the crop, then marketing them and so forth…..

Now you are just being as silly as me, wanting facts, details, plans. Next you'll be asking to see the results and audited accounts.

Tusk, tusk.

Perhaps by using solar energy? But, wait. They're soldiers.

I noticed a few solar panels on roofs around my way today, err 2 roofs actually , nearly every second house in West OZ has them, they are now building new suburbs that are fully powered by solar and battery , some of the small country towns are all solar , much to the disgust of the power provider.

There may be the odd occasion when he doesn't but during the PM's Friday night speeches he has been saying this for a while...plant alternative crops. Well, that might be fine but even plants need water and in drought condition all crops die. I notice too that lately he has advised planting wheat in some areas instead of rice.

Gen Prayut said that farmers need to adapt to climate change and advances in technology.

He'll provide more second hand clothes for colder winters and the tablet per child policy will be reinforced as his own idea.

Not long and I'll add him as a friend at farcebook. thumbsup.gif

There may be the odd occasion when he doesn't but during the PM's Friday night speeches he has been saying this for a while...plant alternative crops. Well, that might be fine but even plants need water and in drought condition all crops die. I notice too that lately he has advised planting wheat in some areas instead of rice.

Planting weed would save the country a lot of money. Less soldiers, cops, narcos, etc who always want more money from his money and some "good generals" like him might start to have real smiles in their unreal faces, while living in their surreal world.

No, that advice is for other people. Its not a personal "mission statement" New power stations generate kickbacks on a huge scale. Successful farmers are not of any interest in the corruption stakes.

trouble is that none of the farmers are prepared to try anything different or take anyone elses advice. Just look what happened when they were told not to plant crops due to the drought, they ignored it then two months later started crying for govt assistance because all the crops failed "due to the drought". Until these people realize they need to change the way they farm it will never improve, they destroy the ground with all the chemical based fertilizers because they refuse to rest any growing areas or rotate crops/plant green crops and simply pump crap into the soil to make their crops grow. They are that far behind the rest of the world in regard to farming it isnt funny but they refuse point blank to change their ways, the general may not know much about farming but basically he is right, they definitely need to change the way they farm, wasting water is not the way to go, they need to grow crops etc that do not use/need so much water but telling them is like banging your head against a brick wall as they will not change what they do, it is still a century behind everyone else.

Maybe the PM should be informed that some crops need more than a few days of reliable weather forecast. At least he would tell the Meteorological Bureau to clean up their act I think.rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

Planting weed would save the country a lot of money. Less soldiers, cops, narcos, etc who always want more money from his money and some "good generals" like him might start to have real smiles in their unreal faces, while living in their surreal world.

And he said it again last night...plant alternative crops.. I would have thought by now he'd have changed that to something like '...I've advised the farmers to plant alternative crops but they don't ...' In fact he repeats many of his ideas every week; surely he must get as bored repeating it as others get bored listening to it.

Bring on the nuclear powered generators.

I'm sure you will agree.

This PM is a genius and we should roll with his ideas; Army General telling farmers what plants to grow.

In return the farmers could advise on Chinese submarine purchase and what to do with a static aircraft carrier.

And this is really thinking out-of-the-box; ask the public how the new constitution should be drafted.

Wow, heavy!