Bringing your own drinks?

Thanks you guys for your input on the tip topic?

So I know most farang bars don't allow it but bringing your own drinks to a bar or restaurant is a common Thai trait .

The wife says they make money on the soda and ice but surely that's a pittance when running a business .

Now a mate of mine drinks at two bars. One run by a Thai and one by a farang. At the Thai bar he has a bottle sometimes he buys it at the bar other times he brings one in and charged for the extras and leaves a good tip.

Goes to the farang bar where the Thais bring their own bottle on the same deal so he decides to test the water.

Result a big blue about double standards because he can't do the same as the Thai guy.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to explain the situation .

By the way I drink beer at bars so it doesn't affect me but out at dinners I'm always offered those whiskey sodas etc

Thanks

• Like 1

As a western style bar owner, I do allow bottles to be brought into the bar. The set charge is 150b + ice + mixers. Most customers find though that it's not a cheaper option. When a drink is bought the ice and mixer are included in the price and in a group, a multiple choice of drinks are available rather than everyone having to drink the same thing.

A rather interesting twist is that local men ... are politely asked to leave before ordering a drink. Racism = maybe, it works both ways. It's mainly to protect the staff from jealous or unwelcome attentions.

Last time in England Indian restaurant did same bring own bottle pay a small fee for corking or something like that. Asked why as I'm nosey manager said this way he did not have to pay a lot if money for drinks licence. But to answer question has to be wrong good for Thai good for Farang in my eyes.

I know in some Thai buffet we bring our own hard drinks and buy soda and eat food, in some bars they charge you something like 200 to 300 Baht for opening your own drink and you buy soda there to and some doesn't allow it at all.

Wine:

The Wine Markup in Restaurants is huge... Thus: I always call the restaurant before hand and ask what their corkage charge policy is. I don't mind paying 300 or 500 baht for Corkage. Most restaurants allow this.

I've seen bottles of Wine which are THB: 4000 a duty free charged at THB: 15,000 in a restaurant.

That said: Some places are now offering decent Wine at much better prices.... I won't bring my own wine to a Wine Connection !!....

Whisky:

If I don't want to drink beer, I may take my own Whisky to a restaurant - Its decent Whisky, the restaurant generally won't have it.

I don't mind paying THB: 300 for Whisky corkage.

Beer:

No... It doesn't seem the done thing to take beer into a bar or restaurant. Although sometimes I want to as many restaurants do not serve light beer (low carb) such as San Miguel Light.

• Like 2

Well this is plain wrong, all customers should be treated and charged the same. That's one sure way to lose a paying customer.

There should be a standard corkage fee on bottles brought into the establishment by any customer.

Wrong.

This is Thailand, it is not a requirement that all people are treated the same.

<snip>

Wrong...It's my requirement that everyone be treated equally.

If a business owner wants me to go to their place of business and maybe spend 1000's of Baht every now and again they will meet my requirements or I won't go there.

Good luck with that. Let me know how you get on with changing Thailand.

The pont is some businesses don't want you or your 1,000 baht. Up to them.

BTW, I always take my own bottle of water on balloon chasing nights.

• Like 1

As for bars, they are in the business of selling drinks. That's how they pay the rent, their staff, and make a living. It's quite incorrect to assume you can just bring in your own drinks. As for how they treat Thais vs Farangs here, well, get over it! Now, separate from the bar scene is the question of bringing drinks into a restaurant. I have had several friends that have owned restaurants here. While the profit margins on food is usually small, the margin for drinks is much better, and well needed to make profits and pay for everything (overhead). But drinks, while the costs are small for us, are significant to the success of the restaurants. I was out years ago to a 99 baht buffet and a man in our group was so angry. He had brought in his own bottle of water, and when he paid the bill they charged him 30 baht for his own water. And he was so upset!! At this restaurant this fat man ate a huge amount of food (a buffet) and complained about them making a little money on drinks, his drinks! If he put a pen and paper to it he'd understand that unless the restaurant makes some money, it won't be there next month for him to be a pig again. A very stupid man indeed. As for me, I don't bring outside food or drink into any bars or restaurants. It's just bad manners and insulting to the restaurant owners. But then, that's just me.........

Sorry to say, but it would appear your Friends have got it the wrong way round. Food is normally charged at 60% gross profit (ingredients, labour intensive, gas etc) and drinks at 40% gross profit.

• Like 2

Bringing your own booze to a bar only seems reasonable if you drink something not stocked by the bar but there should be a fee for ice, glasses, mixers, service etc

As for restaurants, I don't mind buying restaurant wine if its reasonable quality, but quite often the restaurant wine list is less that palatable, hence i think bringing your own wine and paying reasonable corkage is a better option if allowable. I think the choice of whether to allow BYO wine in restaurant should be the restaurant managements decision, not the customer.

Bringing your own booze to a bar only seems reasonable if you drink something not stocked by the bar but there should be a fee for ice, glasses, mixers, service etc

As for restaurants, I don't mind buying restaurant wine if its reasonable quality, but quite often the restaurant wine list is less that palatable, hence i think bringing your own wine and paying reasonable corkage is a better option if allowable. I think the choice of whether to allow BYO wine in restaurant should be the restaurant managements decision, not the customer.

It's always the customers choice. If the customer doesn't get what he wants then he goes somewhere else which provides it.

• Like 2

I think it is normal to take your own alcohol to a restaurant here - Thais seem to do it all the time.

However, taking your own alcohol to a bar sounds a bit weird - why wouldn't you drink it in the comfort of your own residence? Or are there bars that don't serve alcohol?

• Like 1

I know of very few other countries where you could do this at all,they would look at you as if you had just stepped out of a lunatic asylum if you asked this in Aussie,or Uk.

On my numerous visits to Australia, I noticed loads of b.y.o. restaurants.

• Like 2

The profit is very small for whisky per bottle. Most thai places make their money on mixers and food. Normally corkage fee only applies on wine, as no mixers are needed.

Corkage fee has nothing directly to do with bringing your own bottle wine but is a nominal fee paid to the establishment, when you bring any kind of drink, for them supplying glasses, washing them afterwards, seating and tables etc.

• Like 1

I think the corkage fee for byo wine is pretty much standard all over the world.

As for bringing your own say whiskey or buying one from the bar seems the norm in some places .

However when Thai guys brought their own bottle and were observed many times doing this a farang decided to do the same and then the blue started .

Needless to say he doesn't go back to that bar.

I've been with Thais on many occasions where they bring their own but I've only ever taken wine and paid the corkage no problem for me.

Thanks for all your replies guys?

It depends on what is on offer. Take a Thai seafood restaurant; you want to bring your own white wine - and accept the corkage. Go to a 5* European with a comprehensive selection of wines then I consider it an insult to the restaurateur - accept the high corkage (I saw places charging B900) - and for good reason as very drinkable Australian Cabernet Sauvignon was available for just about the same amount.