One dead, many injured after Koh Chang guest house collapses

One dead, many injured after Koh Chang guest house collapses

post-137452-0-50022600-1465017555_thumb.

Image: Daily News

KOH CHANG:-- A search is underway in Koh Chang after a guest house collapsed this morning.

One Thai woman is confirmed dead with another Thai woman injured, latest reports said that 5 people are still missing.

More people are expected to be found in the rubble of the two storey structure that completely fell in on itself after heavy rains battered the island.

The collapse occurred in the Bai Lan Bay area towards the southern part of the island next to the main road. Police and rescue workers rushed to the scene at 7am this morning.

The building that had four rooms for rent was raised one metre off the ground.

It is thought that it collapsed on ground weakened by rain water from overnight storms in the area.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-04

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Koh Chang resort building collapses killing one tourist, trapping 7 others

post-137452-0-45956400-1465017675_thumb.

KOH CHANG:-- A Thai tourist was killed and seven others trapped inside after a two-storey resort hotel on Koh Chang island of Trat province collapsed Saturday morning following heavy rains in the night.

Among the tourists trapped under the collapsed building of Siam Beach hotel resort on Koh Chang island is a three-year-old child.

Koh Chang police said the Siam Beach hotel building collapsed at 6 am after heavy downpour lashed the beach area last night.

Trat governor Charnna Iamsaeng said rescuers and local residents were racing against time to try to rescue the trapped tourists.

Koh Chang chief district officer Kamthon Waehon said the collapse might be caused by low construction standard as it was on soft soil and near the cliff.

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-04

The building will have had construction methods no better and no worse than those around it (i.e low grade concrete, sod all reinforcing/rebar, piles that are suitable for a carport at best).

If I was in any of the neighbouring properties I'd be checking out poste haste.

This is what happens where there are no construction/building codes or enforcement of any kind of construction standards. In your own home, ok, just you get injured. But in a guest house, or any other building used by the unsuspecting public, it is not acceptable.

Thailand has yet to enter the latter half of the 20th century, much less the 21st.

Stayed at this resort half a dozen years or so ago shortly after it had been opened. Was booked in for about 5 days. The building and rooms looked fine from a distance, but up close it was clear that the building standards were severely lacking. Shoddy workmanship all over the place. Checked out after one night and moved elsewhere. As soon as i saw the headline for this story i guessed it would be this place.

Ive been thru various different builders over time and all have worked in more or less the same sloppy, poor fashion, eventually i gave up and built everything myself, Mine wont be falling down anytime soon as its my sweat blood and tears + real concrete with slump tests and big steel holding the place up. On top of that I built on almost 100% rock

No one will be held accountable just another " one of those things"

This is what happens where there are no construction/building codes or enforcement of any kind of construction standards. In your own home, ok, just you get injured. But in a guest house, or any other building used by the unsuspecting public, it is not acceptable.

Thailand has yet to enter the latter half of the 20th century, much less the 21st.

It will be interesting to read the "Building Inspector's Report prior to Building Occupation", giving details of footings, concrete, rebar used, and overall building construction

It will be in the same file as the Fire Dept's inspection before Occupation, detailing fire exits, smoke alarms, extinguishers.

whistling.gif

Bloody hell. You go on holidays and it turns into a complete nightmare and tragedy through no fault of you own because by the looks of things shoddy workmanship or shortcuts .

Interesting to see how this one pans out.

The builders were Burmese?

W

Bloody hell. You go on holidays and it turns into a complete nightmare and tragedy through no fault of you own because by the looks of things shoddy workmanship or shortcuts .

The builders were Burmese?

W

Quite likely Cambodian, as were so many of the staff when I stayed at this hotel a few years ago. However, whoever built it, they were no doubt acting under orders from Thai owned building contractors.

It was your choice to holiday in Thailand..

Lets face it , anyone coming to Thailand, a third world emerging economy, and it has been emerging for the past 25 years and this will testify , and thinks that the building by laws are akin to the city of NY or Sydney are sadly mistaken , not one building site will you see a heavy compactor, let alone a survey peg and laying a proper building pad before the construction of the uprights is not even thought of.................coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong