One dead, many injured after Koh Chang guest house collapses

I was in the 'land department' this week by Major Ratchayothin. Went to the toilet at the end of the building and it felt like I was drunk. It was seriously lopsided. Felt very wrong. And this is the 'land department'.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A terrible tragedy. Yet another black mark for Thai tourism which will go global on the news.

The usual excuses will be made with hospital visits to the suffering victims by top army brass covered in medals of valour and wearing guns on their hips and bearing boxes of chicken soup and flowers. These photo ops are necessary to try to counter the photos of the dreadful reality of it all.

Bloody hell. You go on holidays and it turns into a complete nightmare and tragedy through no fault of you own because by the looks of things shoddy workmanship or shortcuts .

Interesting to see how this one pans out.

It was your choice to holiday in Thailand..

Prayut, is that you?

Note to self. Do not buy two story house in Thailand.

This is a generalization, and has little to do with the usual quality of construction in Thailand: Very tragic story. This tragedy, just to save a few baht. Koh Chang is known that it rains a lot and the shoreline drops sharply. Here apparently was sloppy on the base structure and no or rammed to short stakes into the ground. This Guest House construction standarts unfortunately do not meet the usual. The cheapest materials and shortest construction time. BUT: I have a two-story house built here with a Thai construction company 10 Years ago. No cheap materials and down and controlled construction progress to. It is as robust as a house in any western country.

Edited by ujayujay

Wow! I am amazed by the negative comments re bad construction or low building standards

Last time this happened is ages ago, I believe that in Thailand construction is quite okay and much better than in surrounding countries.

It is in India, Bangladesh and the Philippines that this kind of tragic accident happens almost on a weekly basis but not here, my friends!

Note to self. Do not buy two story house in Thailand.

This is a generalization, and has little to do with the usual quality of construction in Thailand: Very tragic story. This tragedy, just to save a few baht. Koh Chang is known that it rains a lot and the shoreline drops sharply. Here apparently was sloppy on the base structure and no or rammed to short stakes into the ground. This Guest House construction standarts unfortunately do not meet the usual. The cheapest materials and shortest construction time. BUT: I have a two-story house built here with a Thai construction company 10 Years ago. No cheap materials and down and controlled construction progress to. It is as robust as a house in any western country.

Nice 1! Thnx for sharing 100% agreed...!

Wow! I am amazed by the negative comments re bad construction or low building standards

Last time this happened is ages ago, I believe that in Thailand construction is quite okay and much better than in surrounding countries.

It is in India, Bangladesh and the Philippines that this kind of tragic accident happens almost on a weekly basis but not here, my friends!

Yes ,very seldom happens .This is a one off ,or close to one.Thais do not overbuild ,but its not in their interest for a building to fall down within a few years .

Development on KC has always been a matter for concern....especially the way they have been digging into the muddy cliffs to make extra flat space for accommodation....

there is in fact limited space on the island due to the mountainous interior - (which also produces a lot of the rain)

Edited by cumgranosalum

First time I hear about a guest house collapsing here. Stop the Thai bashing, it happens all over the world in this part of the world.

Edited by balo

Yes ,very seldom happens .This is a one off ,or close to one.Thais do not overbuild ,but its not in their interest for a building to fall down within a few years .

It only takes one....but given a particularly wet wet season has only just started, I think they should be checking buildings

Anyone traveling in S.E A will have seen the result of the weather on the poorly built houses. Happens in any third and sometimes second world countries. What is the point of blaming poor build quality. Just remember where you are and grieve the people who have perished.

No - KC is a particularly high risk case - and has been for years - the rains there often cause chaos and disruption, bridges all got washed away a ew years back and some parts of the island were cut off to 4 wheel traffic for months even years. The infrastructure and regulations are simply not adequate for such a popular island.

I have sat and watched the construction of houses and multi story guest houses in Phuket, they are very feeble constructions to say the least.

I see some expensive mansions on the hills in Phuket, I think only a matter of time before one ends up as a pile of rubble at he bottom of the hill. It tends to rain alot in the tropics

No - KC is a particularly high risk case - and has been for years - the rains there often cause chaos and disruption, bridges all got washed away a ew years back and some parts of the island were cut off to 4 wheel traffic for months even years. The infrastructure and regulations are simply not adequate for such a popular island.

parts of the island were cut off to 4 wheel traffic for months even years

i call BS

building codes in THAILAND, when police, teachers own these properties quick and the dead. TWC FOREVER. No problem fresh money tomorrow to rebuild. HEY, hire the contractors from NEPAL for building experience..

This is what happens where there are no construction/building codes or enforcement of any kind of construction standards. In your own home, ok, just you get injured. But in a guest house, or any other building used by the unsuspecting public, it is not acceptable.

Thailand has yet to enter the latter half of the 20th century, much less the 21st.

I would imagine the balcony that collapsed, killing 6 I think, on the Berkeley College campus had plenty of building codes and construction standards.

>>HEY, hire the contractors from NEPAL for building experience..<<

​The hard laboring work is done by Burmese or Cambodians on every thai Building site .The man with the clean clothes and 4 by 4 jeep on site will be Thai or Thai/Chinese.

In this day and age..completely inexcusable...except of course here in Thailand where doing things cheap is preferred over safety...another notch in Thailands belt ...

Do you really think anyone will have to answer to this???...a few smiles and some apologies..maybe a little payoff to the family of the deseased and all will be forgotten

Four Rescued, One Still Trapped in Koh Chang Hotel Collapse

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

Senior Staff Writer

post-137452-0-34719200-1465038227_thumb.

Rescue workers search through the remains of Siam Beach Hotel Saturday morning on Koh Chang.

TRAT — Three adults and a two-year-old child were found alive today by rescue workers following the collapse of a hotel on Koh Chang this morning.

One person was killed and five were trapped inside a hotel that was destroyed on Koh Chang island early Saturday morning after heavy rain caused a landslide.

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-04

A few years ago I stayed in a 4-story B&B in the Thong Lor area of Bangkok. I noticed, on the 4th floor, the lighting fixtures swayed whenever an especially large truck went by on the street in front.

Don't stay there anymore, expecting we'll read about this place in the news down the road as well.

As with most 3rd world and developing countries, you have to take much more responsibility for your own personal safety, as did the earlier poster who checked out early from the Siam Beach Resort after noticing the shabby construction. Wise move.

Incidentally, the reviews on Agoda and Trip Advisor of this resort are pretty dismal, citing lack of maintenance as a chief concern.

Caveat emptor.