Your greatest Journey,or one you would like to do

Would like to go to Machu Picchu but go there using the River Amazon right down to get there

...give me a hoy when your ready to go!

...this has been a terrific thread..

Edited by tandor

I was 20 years old studying at Uni in NYC and lust going on on summer brake. We went to visit my uncle who was the chief staff engineer at the SS Volendam .A Holland American cruise ship traveling from NYC to to Caribbean destinations and mostly Bermuda.

He told me that a position had just opened in the engine room, and if I want it to go home get my clothes, and the ship was living in 4 hrs.

What 20 year old does not want to work on a cruise ship?

I ended up skipping University for the next two terms and bumming around the Caribbean for a year. Most fun I ever had in my life,and got paid for it.

Greatest Journey..?

Actually two...

...On donkey, via the ancient graver's path through so-called "Nobleman's Graves" area, and over the mountain to Valley of the Kings, Luxor, Egypt, 1982...

...With landrover through the desert from Nouakchott to Akjoujt for a more than 7 minutes long Total Solar Eclipse, the longest until 2150, Mauritania 1973...smile.png

One I would like to do..?

Actually three...

Angkor Wat, Bhutan, and Xi'an's terracotta army...rolleyes.gif

They are places, not journeys. wai2.gif

No excuses for not visiting Angkor Wat, it is next door and just a short flight.

The tourist levy on Bhutan puts me off. Nepal is an alternative thumbsup.gif

China is full of Chinese, but I too would like to walk along the Wall and see the terracotta lads.

I was going to start the post off by saying----I pretty sure that I have been to a country no one else on here has----so I Goggled it to make sure of the spelling and they now have a mini tourist blog----unbelievable, you can stay in a cabin there for there for up to 4 days, in between supply ships.

Anyway--Pitcairn Island Home to the "Mutiny on the Bounty" about 40+ people living there now, I was a merchant seaman living/shipping out of Sweden in the 60s, picked up a British ship going to New Zealand they had some RAF boffin's on board with a lots of equipment to record the French nuclear bomb tests being done on Mururoa atoll about 1,200 kilometres from Tahiti. Usually Long boats just come out and supplies are lowered down onto them---but because of amount of RAF equipment we had to go onto the island to help them.

They were going to pick them back up on their way back to the UK 10 weeks latter---but I decided I liked NZ so I got off & stayed there for some years.

Well, you got me; never been to Pitcairn, but have you been to Kapingmarangi? A buddy of mine from high school went there with a Kapi local he met in San Francisco. My bud had lost an eye in Vietnam and had a pension; things were cheap there, so he stayed. I visited him there in '78.

Would like to go to Machu Picchu but go there using the River Amazon right down to get there

...give me a hoy when your ready to go!

...this has been a terrific thread..

When I get the time I intend to do it and would appreciate your company. It would be doing it the way real travelers travel

It would be great if you could do the old silk road trip,but sadly these days it would be too dangerous,the Amazon post i liked too,also about getting out of here in April/may,i visited the Philippines this April,while cooler than Thailand was still 31-35,so Europe would be great,i would love to take my girlfreind,who is an intelligent girl and would enjoy it,and actually is not scared of going out of Thailand.

..as a very green & idealistic young man in 1963.. I got a passport and necessary vaccinations and signed on to a Norwegian freighter out of Vancouver.. hauling raw logs to Japan.. we sailed down to Coos Bay in Oregon and then did a great circle route up to the Aleutian Islands and down to the Inland sea of Japan.. stopped in Osaka and several smaller ports to unload the logs ... not a holiday but an amazing experience for an 18 year old novice traveller.. complete with booze and girls and death on the way... and a typhoon .. While waiting for the tide to change to get out of the Inland Sea a boatload of sailors went ashore and missed the boat back.. they stole a fisherman's boat which got swamped on their way back in the night.. I was on deck watch and heard a guy calling from the water below.. a big able seaman had managed to swim to the freighter... after managing to get the attention of drunk officers we got a rope ladder down to him and a search under way.. 3 drowned.. official report... 'Norwegian seaman capsize and drown on sightseeing trip'! ..after a burial at sea ceremony we were told to leave because of an incoming typhoon.. a week of heavy seas.. short of crew (one other guy was still in hospital in Japan after a bar fight)... we did the reverse trip up to the Aleutians and down to the US where I disembarked.. I went back to university for a year and then started work in the hotel industry and have travelled ever since..

I travel a lot anyway,, been to many places,, many don't interest me at all,

but i have some regrets (unfortunately)

I regret not going to Bali with my surfing pot heads in the 70's

i would never go now.

I totally regret not going to see the pyramids before strife broke out,

maybe one day.

I've done everything else and i have the photos to prove it, but recently

i've been deleting and throwing out photos of the past, i'm not much

interested in the past, i'm so much looking for the future. It excites me.

The one I still want to do, almost done it this year but unfortunately couldn't so maybe next year.

Hire a camper van and travel with the wife through Europe for 3 months.

Countries would include, UK, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc.

3 months is a bit short but that is the max visa my wife can get :(

The one I still want to do, almost done it this year but unfortunately couldn't so maybe next year.

3 months is a bit short but that is the max visa my wife can get sad.png

6 months for the UK + 3m Schengen ?

It would be great if you could do the old silk road trip,but sadly these days it would be too dangerous,the Amazon post i liked too,also about getting out of here in April/may,i visited the Philippines this April,while cooler than Thailand was still 31-35,so Europe would be great,i would love to take my girlfreind,who is an intelligent girl and would enjoy it,and actually is not scared of going out of Thailand.

We went to the UK and Rome to avoid the heat this year.

Started in Inverness on 22nd March so my GF could see snow on the Cairngorms and finished up with 4 days in Rome at the start of May.

For 2017 I would probably like to be a bit more static so may look at Spain's Costa Blanca via a few days in London.

I would also be interested to consider more local options to avoid the heat here.................... any thoughts or experiences.

Great thread by the way.

We went to the UK and Rome to avoid the heat this year.

Started in Inverness on 22nd March so my GF could see snow on the Cairngorms and finished up with 4 days in Rome at the start of May.

For 2017 I would probably like to be a bit more static so may look at Spain's Costa Blanca via a few days in London.

I would also be interested to consider more local options to avoid the heat here.................... any thoughts or experiences.

Great thread by the way.

Thanks mate,yes i would love to go to spain again,so long since i have been there.

Eastern Europe by train for a couple of weeks was a worthwhile and good value trip. Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, Belgrade, Montenegro, Dubrovnic, Mostar, Sarayevo, Banja Luka, Zagreb, Ljublyana.

Did the trip with my daughter in the few weeks between her leaving school and going to Uni, most of the time finding accommodation as we went. B and B and Guest House owners meet the trains, found a few good places to stay that way.

Got me thinking about doing another adventure now ! Nice topic.

3 months is a bit short but that is the max visa my wife can get sad.png

6 months for the UK + 3m Schengen ?

That would be possible, but way too long for the Uk and way too short for Schengen :)

Hitchhiked from France, through Spain, down to Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria, then Sicily, Italy, Switzerland, Austria and Germany, before heading back to the UK. This was when I was 19.

DID: Climbed Mt. Shasta in Northern California; 14,000+ feet

TO DO: Ski from village to village across the French & Swiss Alps, using their interconnected lift system and trails.

Still on the cards. and hoping to achieve

Bicycle from Hanoi, through Laos. down to Cambodia, Phuket, KL, Singapore.

And if I have the energy, through parts of Indonesia ( Lombok, Flores then as far as possible) coastal Australia down to Melbourne

Now all I need is 12 months off work or retirement. Anyone want to join?

Started a road journey along the Atlantic coast of Brazil. Kicked off at Santos (just outside Sao Paulo) with a plan to go all the way to Forteleza. Only got as far as Rio before fell out with companion, plans changed and i went to Chiang Mai. However some great food, stunning scenery and coastline that is meant to get even better as you go further North. Would like to finish the journey one day.

Cruising through the Panama Canal. I am fortunate to have done that twice now, once in each direction, each cruise 14 days between Florida and California and vice versa.

Wow nice.

I don't wanna take a cruise but just get onboard on of those container ships that travel between continents as a paying guest. I heard that is possible nowadays anyone has any contact details for this ?

Cruising through the Panama Canal. I am fortunate to have done that twice now, once in each direction, each cruise 14 days between Florida and California and vice versa.

Would love to know if you managed to see any of Panama, and more especially if this was in recent times. And so that this thread is not disrupted, if you do have any information, then I would appreciate a PM. Thank you

Would love to know if you managed to see any of Panama, and more especially if this was in recent times. And so that this thread is not disrupted, if you do have any information, then I would appreciate a PM. Thank you

Since there seems to be some interest in this...both cruises had a port call in Panama. However the second one that I took on Princess actually had a full day call in Panama City the day before the canal transit and I was able to get out and see quite a bit of the country in that time. The first sailing I took on Celebrity just had an evening call at Fuerte Amador which was really a waste of a stop since there was not enough time to do anything.

• 2 months later...