Joint naval and air force exercise in the Gulf

rooster59

Joint naval and air force exercise in the Gulf

post-247607-0-01957000-1465092647_thumb.

BANGKOK: The Royal Thai Navy and the Royal Thai Air Force Thursday held a joint military exercise in the Gulf of Thailand.

The joint exercise saw more than 30 warships and over 20 aircrafts which included F16 jet fighters taking part with the Navy providing its flagship aircraft carrier “Chakri Naruebet” as the command center of the joint exercise.

It was assumed that an unidentified surface target was detected by the Royal Thai Air Force’s SAAB 340 AEW early warning aircraft, and its location is beyond the range of the Navy’s 8- ship task force’s surface-to-surface defenses.

The flagship aircraft carrier Chakri Naurebet then ordered its helicopters on board to locate and identify the target.

The target was later reported a hostile enemy’s surface force.

The Chakri Naruebet then launched a flight of Saab Gripen attack fighters to intercept.

The enemy force then launched its own flight of F16 jet fighters which managed to penetrate the Gripen flight’s defensive perimeter, putting the Chakri Narubet’s taskforce on high alert and air-defense tactics and weaponry became active.

The coordination and direct control of these actions were done using the extremely versatile Tactical Datalink.

Admiral Na Arinit, commander of the Chakri Naruebet taskforce the Navy and the Air Force have jointly developed the Tactical Datalink system which allows vital strategic information to be accessed in real-time by both forces.

The sharing and allocation of data and information is done automatically by the system needing very little human input.

The Tactical Datalink is vital and provides officers with a massive tactical advantage over the enemy.

The admiral said further that this year’s exercise is historically significant for both the Royal Thai Navy and the Royal Thai Air Force as unknown deficiencies which were never evident before this can now be targeted and corrected.

However the most significant benefit of the exercise is the improved cooperation and trust between the two forces, he said, adding that in near future an even bigger three pronged exercise will include the Royal Thai Army.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165995

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-05

"The target was later reported a hostile enemy's surface force".

"The enemy force then launched its own flight of F-16 jet fighters".

Was not aware Chinese fishing boats had F-16s! laugh.png

It wasn't Chinese fishing boats at all, just the U.S.7th Fleet

Tongue in cheek.

Tongue in cheek.

Of course, I noticed the bulge.rolleyes.gif

Tactical Datalink System.

Is that LINE app text messages ?

A Tactical Data Link (TDL) uses a data linkstandard in order to provide communication via radio waves or cable used by the U.S. armed forces and NATO nations. All militaryC3 systems use standardized TDL to transmit, relay and receive tactical data.

However, as you correctly point out, the version utilised here is available for free dowload at both the App store and PlayStore for ios and android devices for free.

A Tactical Data Link (TDL) uses a data linkstandard in order to provide communication via radio waves or cable used by the U.S. armed forces and NATO nations. All militaryC3 systems use standardized TDL to transmit, relay and receive tactical data.

However, as you correctly point out, the version utilised here is available for free dowload at both the App store and PlayStore for ios and android devices for free.

Memo to PLA, update your tactical data link ..........................cheesy.gif

It would make sense to use the free download as I think every Thai uses it so there would be no need for training.

The budget allocated for installation of a system and appropriate training could then be put to ' better use '. rolleyes.gif

The Chakri Naruebet then launched a flight of Saab Gripen attack fighters to intercept.

Wait, the Chakri Naruebet does not have a catapult, therefore can not launch the Gripen fighters.

I had to double check that this wasn't a story for the National Propaganda Network!

Wait, the Chakri Naruebet does not have a catapult, therefore can not launch the Gripen fighters.

I had to double check that this wasn't a story for the National Propaganda Network!

The sent a simple Line message "Scramble" followed by a cute dog smiley. Edited by BigBadGeordie

The sent a simple Line message "Scramble" followed by a cute dog smiley.

They would've had to send it to Surat Thani air force base...

I expect multi-skilled General Prayut was Commander-in-Chief of the whole exercise while at the same time waving the take-off and landing flags on the deck of the carrier Chakri Naurebet.

the Navy and the Air Force have jointly developed the Tactical Datalink system

"Jointly developed," as in jointly signed contracts with Saab for upgrade of the Combat Management System and provision of Tactical Data Links...

http://saab.com/region/thailand/about-saab/stories/saab-india-stories/2015/building-network-centric-defence/

Tongue in cheek.

Of course, I noticed the bulge.rolleyes.gif

Launching F-16s from either would be a neat trick in and of itself. wink.png

At least they correctly identified them as hostile. giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

I wonder why they need to wear a camouflage suit (photo in OP) when they are standing around on a "LGB" (Large Grey Boat - also known by the non technical as a "gurt big war canoe")?

Edited by JAG

I wonder why they need to wear a camouflage suit (photo in OP) when they are standing around on a "LGB" (Large Grey Boat - also known by the non technical as a "gurt big war canoe")?

I managed to escape before being forced to wear blue cammies on a ship, or anywhere for that matter. facepalm.gif

post-134393-0-96906600-1465126659_thumb.

'jamesbrock': informed, critical, reporters would not have quoted from the military provided propaganda, and, indeed, then written: 'A flight of Saab Gripen intervention fighters (based in Surrathani) was then launched by the commanding post on the Chakri Naruebet', but, hey, 'boys and toys'...

As far as the said Chakri Naruebet could be re-commissioned from the pile of old rusty iron it is (and already was when bought by the RTN), for a not astronomical cost, that might be something to buy from China (instead of unusable underclass subs): a full squadron of Chinese-copy Harriers, IMO, that is...

Nothing in the Post says that the Gripen were launched from the Aircraft carrier.

The exercise was a JOINT operation Navy/Air Force meaning the Air Force launching its aircraft from land based Air Force Base.

As for the Chakri Naruebet aircraft carrier its good to see the Thai Navy found use for it by using it as a Helicopter carrier. Always wondered how long it would take them to wake up to the fact they could use it as a Helicopter carrier without any conversion costs. Also wonder how much money they recovered for the Harrie Jump Jets scrap aluminum after being <deleted> for the umpteenth time by their bosom friend selling them nearly out of time replacement Jet Engines.

The smallest Aircraft Carrier in the world,,,when it first came to Thailand it had 6 un-engined Harrier jump jets sitting on the deck.No way a Gripen could even land on it.

Pictures of the HTMS Chakri Naruebet aircraft carrier - smallest carrier in the world apparently.

http://www.businessinsider.com/thailands-aircraft-carrier-has-no-aircraft-2015-2

Last used to aide flood victims in 2011. Has no anti-aircraft weapons. I wonder if its use in the latest military exercise is aimed towards a justification for a new carrier.

Nice article, thanks. Having served on US Carriers, I was keen to take a tour when I saw this old girl moored at Sattahip, but was told foreigners are not allowed. ph34r.png