Police Stops at Asoke Intersection

bbi1

Recently witnesses a foreigner get stopped during the very early hours in the morning while crossing the road at Asoke Intersection near the police box in the direction of Exchange Tower. Looks like they were doing their usual stop of taxis who were turning into Sukhumvit Rd but since there were no cars & they saw the foreigner crossing, 4 police officers called him over and spoke to him for a few mins. I ended up taking the stairs up to the BTS overpass bridge to cross the intersection instead & as I was walking down the stairs at Exchange Tower, I think the same foreigner was let go and continued walking. Just after Soi 20 in front of 7-Eleven a motorcycle with 2 policemen ended up turning right from Sukhumvit into Soi 20 and stopped that same foreigner on the footpath. He was pointing back so it looks like he was trying to tell them he was already stopped previously. I ended going into Soi 20 so didn't hear or see what they said.

1. There was no official road sign about a police stop at Asoke Intersection. Is it even legal for them to stop cars/pedestrians?

2. What would you do if stopped while walking there even when you're innocent? Pretend your deaf & do some sign language? Pretend you don't speak English?

The concern is about getting extorted for a bribe or getting something planted on you if they decide to do a search of you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also wondering if it's more likely they are only after farangs or asians too?

I'm not one of those who would usually say that the BiB particularly target foreigners in traffic stops etc...

However, for the past few years, up until a year ago this area was well known for the BiB specifically targeting foreigners.

There was plenty of negative publicity about this at the time such that the head of Thonglor Police announced that they will no longer target foreigners.

I was stopped in a taxi about a year ago at Asoke - BiB asking for my Passport, I showed my Thai Drivers license, they told me to get out of the taxi (I think they wanted to drug test me) I refused and called a Thai Friend (Immigration), the BiB just waved me on... IMO it was either a shakedown or a wasted of my time, ether way I wasn't playing..

It is possible that this is starting up again.. lets see how many more people start reporting this...

With regular 're-shuffles' its possible that there is a new influx of BiB who see fit to target Westerners / foreigners specifically.

Checking ID, Checking for your Passport etc...

A debate will likely ensue regarding the options of carrying your passport or not - Its been accepted that Photocopies of your Passport ID, Visa Page and arrival Card will be accepted. Of course carrying your passport is the best option, but you can risk loss.

Edited by richard_smith237

If you don't have anything to hide, if you're not up to no good and you're not carrying drugs or other illegal goods, you have nothing to fear from being stopped and searched. I'm all for it if it takes some worthless criminal scum off the streets.

If you don't have anything to hide, if you're not up to no good and you're not carrying drugs or other illegal goods, you have nothing to fear from being stopped and searched. I'm all for it if it takes some worthless criminal scum off the streets.

maybe it's just me, but I take my personal freedoms and liberty to be sacred. To be stopped and asked for my papers and searched on demand reminds me of Germany before ww2. To loose our freedom of movement, requires people to lay down and accept it. That is the begging of the end. I am not a criminal and I don't expect to be treated as one.

That's complete bull and you know it, but then you like to troll, so it's not surprising to see such a comment from you.

reminds me of Germany before ww2.----inzman

what where you doing in Germany before WW2 inzman....??

You must be on a good pension now....................coffee1.gif

I reread my post, I still don't see where I stated I was in germany? But in response, my country has mandated education and we were taught what lead up to ww2 and how the nazis were able to secure power from the masses. i.e, military lead govt, arbitrary police stops and checks, sound familiar?

maybe it's just me, but I take my personal freedoms and liberty to be sacred. To be stopped and asked for my papers and searched on demand reminds me of Germany before ww2. To loose our freedom of movement, requires people to lay down and accept it. That is the begging of the end. I am not a criminal and I don't expect to be treated as one.

Its fine to have nothing to fear, but many of us don't want to carry our passport because of the risks of losing it and associated headaches with getting a new one...

... So we do have something to fear... albeit not a serious something... but dealing with BiB who try and threaten and intimidate you is not fun for anyone.

....When the BiB stop us and ask for our passport and we don't have it, all they want is the fine... Or more accurately a 'bribe'....

.. the BiB realise they can make money this way and before we know it we are subject to another series of shakedowns along Sukhumvit rd.

This isn't a showstopper... but it wears thin, it becomes annoying... especially when those doing the shakedowns are 'the worthless criminals'... we see through the facade... thats the annoying part.

I've go absolutely nothing to hide - but being cornered and intimidated by a couple of BiB is fun for no one, especially if it becomes a regular thing.

This is nothing new. It's been going on in this area for years. There is a perceived drug problem in the area which is supposedly the reason. It's annoying and inconvenient, but rarely more than that. As numerous threads show, carrying a copy of your passport is recommended in case you are stopped.

I have been stopped twice in my life by policemen asking to see my papers.

First time I was about 16 and in France, I was on holiday with my parents and had just gone and got a copy of the English Sunday paper.

Two cops stopped me and asked me for my papers, I gave them my copy of the newspaper which they gave back then went on their way.

The second time was two years ago at Ekamei bus station. There were about 6 cops sitting by a bench which is normally a taxi rank.

One cop called me over and had a look thru my bag. Found nothing. He then asked me how old I was, he mentioned one of his fellow cops was the same age as me.

If it wasn't first thing in the morning I would have ended up having a laugh and joke with them, but I'm a grumpy old bastard first thing in the morning. I then went on my way.

As for the two cops on the motorbike I have had a bit of fun with those late at night in the past, and played a bit of cat and mouse with them during the day.

If you have nothing to hide there will be nothing for them to find.

If you're my age, look up all the drugs you're taking for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and on and on. See what kind of false positives you may throw on a cheap first round urine drug test.

Oh, you'll eventually be exonerated by the more detailed later tests, but that may take days- weeks even.

My doctor in BKK warned me to stay out of places where there's a good chance of getting pee tested. He said I'd ring all kinds of bells. He also said I'd be cleared on the detailed testing, but I'd be pretty miserable until those results came in.

On a more immediate and practical note, I live and work in the area, and I've never seen them stop anyone up on the skywalk. So I stay up there as much as I can.

Edit: Never on the skywalk, except during the occupation leading up to the coup. And then, it wasn't the cops checking everyone, it was the "informal security" searching for weapons.

Edited by impulse

If you're my age, look up all the drugs you're taking for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and on and on. See what kind of false positives you may throw on a cheap first round urine drug test.

Oh, you'll eventually be exonerated by the more detailed later tests, but that may take days- weeks even.

My doctor in BKK warned me to stay out of places where there's a good chance of getting pee tested. He said I'd ring all kinds of bells. He also said I'd be cleared on the detailed testing, but I'd be pretty miserable until those results came in.

On a more immediate and practical note, I live and work in the area, and I've never seen them stop anyone up on the skywalk. So I stay up there as much as I can.

Edit: Never on the skywalk, except during the occupation leading up to the coup. And then, it wasn't the cops checking everyone, it was the "informal security" searching for weapons.

Fortunately the on-the-spot urine tests that were happening a year or so ago have stopped.

Fortunately the on-the-spot urine tests that were happening a year or so ago have stopped.

Lord, I hope so, for their sake. The head of the visa fairies at our company is aptly nicknamed the Dragon Lady. And as a function of her job, she hobnobs at very high levels of the BKK and Thai governments.

I'd hate to have to turn her loose on the local popo. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

This is nothing new. It's been going on in this area for years. There is a perceived drug problem in the area which is supposedly the reason. It's annoying and inconvenient, but rarely more than that. As numerous threads show, carrying a copy of your passport is recommended in case you are stopped.

Perceived drug problem? Sure, all the Africans hanging out between Sukhumvit 3 to 13. Funny how those guys are there every night & even late afternoons but the cops just walk by/drive by them and the Thai stall owners welcome them to sit on their chairs there for however many hours they wish whistling.gif

Perceived drug problem? Sure, all the Africans hanging out between Sukhumvit 3 to 13. Funny how those guys are there every night & even late afternoons but the cops just walk by/drive by them and the Thai stall owners welcome them to sit on their chairs there for however many hours they wish whistling.gif

The Asok cops come from Thong Lor district - Suk 3-13 is the Nana/Lumpini district. Very different operating policies.

That's complete bull and you know it, but then you like to troll, so it's not surprising to see such a comment from you.

Rubbish. You're obviously hiding something if you are fearing being stopped and searched in an effort to increase security for the law-abiding citizen. Then again, I have to say the majority of the falangs I've met in Bangkok were either very dodgy from the outset or turned out to be later when I got to know them a little better...

Those Africans have just as much right to be "hanging out" there as you do. Flight tickets from many parts of Africa to Bangkok are cheap, and they have just as much right to be a tourist in Bangkok as you do. If some of them might be selling drugs, which I'm not denying, it's because the white falangs are buying them.

How dare the BiB do their job in the early hours of the morning and stop some drunken monger in his Chang vest and flip-flops/wife-beater and thongs?
Don't these upstarts know it's the mighty Bwana they are dealing with,why aren't they on their knees Wai-ing with their foreheads pressed to the pavement?

Edited by MyFrenU

Rubbish. You're obviously hiding something if you are fearing being stopped and searched in an effort to increase security for the law-abiding citizen. Then again, I have to say the majority of the falangs I've met in Bangkok were either very dodgy from the outset or turned out to be later when I got to know them a little better...

Yes you do talk rubbish, now go troll someone else, I'm not interested in your lack of understanding of why "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" is a fools statement.

I reread my post, I still don't see where I stated I was in germany? But in response, my country has mandated education and we were taught what lead up to ww2 and how the nazis were able to secure power from the masses. i.e, military lead govt, arbitrary police stops and checks, sound familiar?

No inzman it doesn't sound a bit families to Thailand----and I think you are just a little excited & OTT.

I don't know how long you have lived here----or if you even do, but what you are suggesting is that this law came in with the latest government. I came here visiting nearly 30 years ago --lived here for only 16 years, the law has always been that visitors to the country carry some ID (I have always found my Thai driving licence was sufficient) Thai's have had to carry ID cards under every government all their life. Re visitors--over the years sometimes they had crack downs & it was enforced---sometimes very lax about it....just like all the other laws.....gambling --prostitution etc etc...

but I do think its an insult to the brave people of pre war Germany that you are comparing your situation with there's ---

You have just written on an open forum what you feel about the government---a few letters in the BKK post every week talking in much harsher terms. So are the doors being kicked in----will you be dragged away inzman with them ?

Thailand is like Nazi Germany.......... honestly I think you should not have come off the med's

do you all suffer from amnesia? We have, here on thaivisa.com, many articles/witness/reports of tourists being harassed by thonglor police. Many tourists have been victims of shakedown

by the police in this area. Even the big police chief hold a press conference, and distribute leaflet claiming its illegal for police to do a public search on people.

Just do a quick search on this forum...facepalm.gif

Your ideology is flawed.... Nothing to Hide is fine... But nothing to Fear ???... the Thonglor BiB have been notorious for shakedowns against foreigners in the past.

Thainess - Do you carry your passport on you at all times ???,.... If not, the BiB may try to fine you...

Have you taken any prescription medication which could give a false positive on a rudimentary drugs test kit ?

Do you mind being physically searched in public, while at the same time facing intimidating Police officers ?

Would you be happy giving a Urine sample on the side of the street ?

These are issues which have been reported, and up until a year or so ago these issue were reported frequently.

OK, we have nothing to hide, but we fear the whole rigmarole and BS of being treated like a criminal when we know already that those who instigate these searches are sometimes beyond reproach and who's actions are nefarious at best.

You see, its a game for the BiB when they target foreigners... they are not targeting criminals, they are targeting money...

"no have passport - you pay B500 fine, now or go jail"... when the law itself suggests that the passport must be produced within a reasonable time frame.

So, Thainess... IF the Police Stop you and you have nothing to hide, your heart won't beat a little faster, you won't imagine all the possibilities, the things that 'could' go wrong because you have complete trust in the Police Force.... You will be quite relaxed and have no anxious feelings whatsoever, you won't mind the 10 mins of questioning with an intimidating tone, their arm on yours in an invasive and somewhat controlling manner...

Your ideology is flawed.... Nothing to Hide is fine... But nothing to Fear ???... the Thonglor BiB have been notorious for shakedowns against foreigners in the past.

Thainess - Do you carry your passport on you at all times ???,.... If not, the BiB may try to fine you...

Have you taken any prescription medication which could give a false positive on a rudimentary drugs test kit ?

Do you mind being physically searched in public, while at the same time facing intimidating Police officers ?

These are issues which have been reported, and up until a year or so ago these issue were reported frequently.

OK, we have nothing to hide, but we fear the whole rigmarole and BS of being treated like a criminal when we know already that those who instigate these searches are sometimes beyond reproach and who's actions are nefarious at best.

You see, its a game for the BiB when they target foreigners... they are not targeting criminals, they are targeting money...

"no have passport - you pay B500 fine, now or go jail"... when the law itself suggests that the passport must be produced within a reasonable time frame.

So, Thainess... IF the Police Stop you and you have nothing to hide, your heart won't beat a little faster, you won't imagine all the possibilities, the things that 'could' go wrong because you have complete trust in the Police Force.... You will be quite relaxed and have no anxious feelings whatsoever, you won't mind the 10 mins of questioning with an intimidating tone, their arm on yours in an invasive and somewhat controlling manner...

You can only be intimidated if you choose to be. I don't have a lot of faith in the RTP and tend to look at them as a bit of a joke organization. Hence my post about having fun with them before.

Treat them like small children and you wont go far wrong. Treat them like big bad bullies and you will be confronting a big bad bully.

You can only be intimidated if you choose to be. I don't have a lot of faith in the RTP and tend to look at them as a bit of a joke organization. Hence my post about having fun with them before.

Treat them like small children and you wont go far wrong. Treat them like big bad bullies and you will be confronting a big bad bully.

I feel exactly the same, I feel no intimidation by them whatsoever, additionally I have reliable contacts who at a single call can resolve any issue.

However, not everyone has the same nerve... Many do feel intimidated - This is why I disagree with the methods employed, I don't like to think of innocent people being bullied.

Added to which - most people know these are simply attempts at getting cash from those of a more nervy nature...

Their country, their rules. They organize their own police force and military how they see fit. You are a guest. If you don't like what's happening in Thailand, you are free to go home at any time. Your true freedom is actually your freedom to bog off back to your home country whenever you like. If you are living in a foreign country, unfortunately for you immature people (ah diddums) you need to abide by the laws of that foreign country, which may have different morals and values to the ones you hold yourself. You should have tolerance of different practices in different countries, and if you don't like it, I'll say it again, you're free to leave.

Their country, their rules. They organize their own police force and military how they see fit. You are a guest. If you don't like what's happening in Thailand, you are free to go home at any time. Your true freedom is actually your freedom to bog off back to your home country whenever you like. If you are living in a foreign country, unfortunately for you immature people (ah diddums) you need to abide by the laws of that foreign country, which may have different morals and values to the ones you hold yourself. You should have tolerance of different practices in different countries, and if you don't like it, I'll say it again, you're free to leave.

You mean... "If you don't like it go home" ?????..... I think over the recent history of Webforms this has been established as one of the more unimaginative responses....

Their country their rules, their city their rules.

Amazing really isnt it, Bkk is divided up into 50 kets (areas) and who knows how many kwaengs (sub districts).

This is the only ket I have ever heard off has problems.

Near to my house right next to a police station in Bkk I have never had this problem, the police drive by my house every day, I walk by the police station every day, NEVER had a problem.

Amazingly enough when I go to other kets in the city, NEVER a problem.