checkinn99 to close after 60 years

thai3

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No surprise whatsoever,always empty,ridiculously overpriced for a beer it's not rocket science is it?Probably run on the expert marketing strategy so prevalent in Thailand that the emptier you are the more you charge for a beer,just to make up the shortfall TiT! rolleyes.gif

No surprise whatsoever,always empty,ridiculously overpriced for a beer it's not rocket science is it?Probably run on the expert marketing strategy so prevalent in Thailand that the emptier you are the more you charge for a beer,just to make up the shortfall TiT! rolleyes.gif

100 baht for lao dark before 8.30 overpriced?, you sound like my mrs moaning about the price of water when 'it's only 10 baht in the shops' It's always been full when i have been

What was it, a short time sex motel?

Don't know much about Bangkok then- it's oldest nightclub dating back to 1957, and that's the stone age here. Between Sukhumvit 5-7 and opened when there were still rice patches and banana trees growing up the road Opened as the Copa cobana it was 12 years old when this was taken in 1969, on the left. The Landmark Hotel is where the shops were on the right. Manhatten hotel on soi 15 had just opened. Looks like this photo was taken around mid day- where are they all?

kkk.jpg

Edited by thai3

Sad to hear that another venue of Bangkok's great old days as an entertainment city is about to vanish for good. Why do they have to close? Lease running out? Or is the land lord going to bulldoze the entire block in order to build yet another boring shopping center?

I remember the old Thermae. What a bizarre place - and that was exactly what made it so interesting. I stopped frequenting it after it moved a couple of blocks down the road. It just wasn't the same anymore.

Then there was of course the original Napoleon Lounge in Patpong (it later moved to Sukhumvit Soi 33 and never really kicked off there).

Also in Patpong was Crown Royal, a delightful drinking place with an ingenious owner (Izzy).

Not sure if other classic Patpong venues like Gaslight, Mizu's Kitchen or Madrid still exist. Haven't been to Patpong in more than a decade.

What was it, a short time sex motel?

Don't know much about Bangkok then- it's oldest nightclub dating back to 1957, and that's the stone age here. Between Sukhumvit 5-7 and opened when there were still rice patches and banana trees growing up the road Opened as the Copa cobana it was 12 years old when this was taken in 1969, on the left. The Landmark Hotel is where the shops were on the right. Manhatten hotel on soi 15 had just opened. Looks like this photo was taken around mid day- where are they all?

kkk.jpg

That happens to be my photo when I was there from 1968-1969 and originally posted in this topic - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/575072-bangkok-photos-from-1967-1968-period/#entry5547269

So be sure credit is given.

Also in Patpong was Crown Royal, a delightful drinking place with an ingenious owner (Izzy).

Not sure if other classic Patpong venues like Gaslight, Mizu's Kitchen or Madrid still exist. Haven't been to Patpong in more than a decade.

Interesting clientele in the old Crown Royal. Like Izzy many of them were ex-Air America chopper pilots.

I heard that Mizu died a few years ago. The place was still open last time I looked but just barely. That interior is (was?) an absolute museum of the way Bangkok used to be.

Madrid is still going strong and the food's as good as ever.

I just loved CheckInn 99. I always thought it good value. What a shame.

Same goes for The Coffee Shop. Thermae on Sukhumvit, down the Sleaziest back alley. It was F A N T A S T I C......

I'm surprised no has mentioned the hotel on Petchaburi Rd, Gee can't remember the name. Had a "Coffee shop" at the front and always full, live bands and plenty of food. It was notorious in the late Nineties for Uni students to to work off their Uni fees.

Heading down town it was on the right side in between Asoke and Prayathai. Really old styled Thai hotel.

Edited by johninbkk

Madrid still exists. Had Breakfast there last week. Same owners, etc

Sad to hear that another venue of Bangkok's great old days as an entertainment city is about to vanish for good. Why do they have to close? Lease running out? Or is the land lord going to bulldoze the entire block in order to build yet another boring shopping center?

I remember the old Thermae. What a bizarre place - and that was exactly what made it so interesting. I stopped frequenting it after it moved a couple of blocks down the road. It just wasn't the same anymore.

Then there was of course the original Napoleon Lounge in Patpong (it later moved to Sukhumvit Soi 33 and never really kicked off there).

Madrid(where I was the manager in 1984)still exist with the same owner Kung Dang.Now run by her daughter Jennie..On their birthday celebration on November 28th I think the price of drinks and beer is how old the place is,so this year it will be about 45 or 46 baht a drink.The oldest bar on the street still standing is the Safari Bar.The original owner was Tiger Piss Thompson (moved to the PI I think.).Some of the bars that George Papas and ? built like the The Texxan on Patpong Two are still there.The Other Office (original owner Nick) later owner Bill Mallory now owned and run by Pawn Is still there also.When Ole Patpong died his daughter ruined (for us drinkers) it by having the night market there.Quite a few memories from there in the 70s.....Dirty Jim

Always preferred Max's and the Kangaroo and Bunny House upstairs

Same goes for The Coffee Shop. Thermae on Sukhumvit, down the Sleaziest back alley. It was F A N T A S T I C......

I'm surprised no has mentioned the hotel on Petchaburi Rd, Gee can't remember the name. Had a "Coffee shop" at the front and always full, live bands and plenty of food. It was notorious in the late Nineties for Uni students to to work off their Uni fees.

Heading down town it was on the right side in between Asoke and Prayathai. Really old styled Thai hotel.

Siam hotel?

Madrid(where I was the manager in 1984)still exist with the same owner Kung Dang.Now run by her daughter Jennie..On their birthday celebration on November 28th I think the price of drinks and beer is how old the place is,so this year it will be about 45 or 46 baht a drink.The oldest bar on the street still standing is the Safari Bar.The original owner was Tiger Piss Thompson (moved to the PI I think.).Some of the bars that George Papas and ? built like the The Texxan on Patpong Two are still there.The Other Office (original owner Nick) later owner Bill Mallory now owned and run by Pawn Is still there also.When Ole Patpong died his daughter ruined (for us drinkers) it by having the night market there.Quite a few memories from there in the 70s.....Dirty Jim

Any pics jim?

Siam hotel?

Yes, that's it.

Another late opener. It was more of a Thai scene, but still had some memorable nigts there.

Weird place. Dated bar interior with cruise ship style entertainment. I think we were the youngest customers by a margin of about three decades. I'm sure some will miss it, but I'd say it's time had come.

Any pics jim?

Yes I have photos from the mid 70s on..contact via *removed*

Edited by cdnvic
Removed personal contact details. Please contact poster via private message.

How sad! I remember it in the early sixties where we used to go for a late night drink. It had beautiful Filipino singers and great bar girls. One of them was Noy who later became the mamasam. She was my first Thai girlfriend and I saw her regularly over the next few years . When the bar moved to Sukhumvit it was renamed check-in 99 , but it had no resemblance to the old place. I popped in there recently because I heard that Noy was there. She would not believe that it was me until I showed her a few photographs of us together. She got the shock of her life when she realised who I was . After all , it was nearly 60 years ago that we were together . Sadly, many things have changed in Bangkok . I used to love it in the old days, but no longer.

Any pics jim?

Yes I have photos from the mid 70s on..contact via snail mail

why not scan a few upload to photobucket and post them here jim?

Edited by cdnvic
Removed personal contact details. Please contact poster via private message.

Checkinn closing would not be so bad if it were not in a long line of places with character and history being chucked in the skip. After Washington sq and checkinn now there are very few old places left around there, it's all bloody sports bars with tellys everywhere or modern hell holes like Hooters all over the place. In the last 10 years Bangkok has lost so many places that made it worth being in, it will end up the same as everywhere else, Mcdonalds and Starbucks land, crap in other words.

Edited by thai3